Why not make the tires smaller? (1 Viewer)

1) how much more severe is tire wear today
2) so great at the hit it damages the tires
(does 'tire shake' affect the tire?)
3) is the tire damage happening after the 1/8 mile... does the down force play a factor
... 'new' fuel spec. tires in last few years.
1) 1 to 3 runs now ... 6-7 before 1000' & past chunking problems
2) no ,the clutch slips and the tire can slip too...wheelie bar limits the load...
...tire shake no, driver & car yes
3) yes ,due to over prep after 1000'... down force was a problem for side walls & tread years ago ,
new tires have been improved for down force problems

2) no ,the clutch slips and the tire can slip too...wheelie bar limits the load...
3) yes ,due to over prep after 1000'... down force was a problem for side walls & tread years ago ,

thanks jerry.
don't you think nhra and it's racers mite want to get back to a combination
that brings tire life back to at least 5-6 runs per pair?
not to mention many other costs associated with running a nitro car that
have escalated in last 5 - 10 years?
it's not surprising fc and tf are more and more just a few select owners with
multiple teams; probably need multiple teams to get quantity discounts on
all of the expensive and exotic disposable parts these cars consume. :eek:

... need multiple teams to get quantity discounts...
NHRA doesn't care about team costs ,in the past they believed that was an owner's job to get funding...
Not much discount for selling specialty parts to a few buyers, the data collection is a major advantage to multi-car teams...
Plus the ability to co-opt sponsors on several cars...

Is the new tire cutting down on the issues experienced in Charlotte (~1 hit per set)?

Is the new tire cutting down on the issues experienced in Charlotte (~1 hit per set)?

it's hard to say since we haven't seen conditions like there were in Charlotte, but i doubt that they will......In St. Louis we got 3 runs out of a set of tires before we changed them, and the only reason we did is because we to one our set with the smaller roll out

Jerry, I was told that the tires get beat up more than anything past the finishline when the chutes are out? Is that true? Eugene Gray was saying they have problems with tires after lifting...

Jerry, I was told that the tires get beat up more than anything past the finishline when the chutes are out? Is that true? Eugene Gray was saying they have problems with tires after lifting...

the deceleration from 1000ft to 1320ft where the track is still prepped with VHT for the pro stock guys is ripping the centers out of the tires

I just hope that the NHRA's #2 goal (safety 1st) is to get back to 1320 for Nitro. My interest in watching 1000ft. is going downhill. I've really noticed it this season.

They either need to take it back to 1320 or bring the pro stock classes to 1000 ft. They are playing with the devil on the fuel cars by spraying the last 320 for PS and putting the PS teams at extreme risk by not spraying... They need to be racing to the same distance.

did the tire problem for nitro cars develop immediately after shortening
length to 1000'? or has the compound/s changed in tires and/or track prep?
(causing tire damage between 1000' and 1320')

jerry, you're rite - specialty parts to select few buyers definitely is not
a recipe for quantity discounted buying.......what was i thinking :confused:

They either need to take it back to 1320 or bring the pro stock classes to 1000 ft. They are playing with the devil on the fuel cars by spraying the last 320 for PS and putting the PS teams at extreme risk by not spraying... They need to be racing to the same distance.

This sounds like the best use of a 4 lane track - 2 for nitro cars and 2 for pro stock.

Mike Larson ...causing tire damage between 1000' and 1320'...
The chunking problem first showed up in cool weather with super traction on an old tire compound...
For a short while there was a compound & side wall problem in any weather...
Now the tires are okay , but the super prep with the 1000' shut-off is causing the chunking to show-up again in cool weather...

Less horsepower, less down force , less traction spray , and 1320' for everyone should bring back tire life...

The chunking problem first showed up in cool weather with super traction on an old tire compound...
For a short while there was a compound & side wall problem in any weather...
Now the tires are okay , but the super prep with the 1000' shut-off is causing the chunking to show-up again in cool weather...

Less horsepower, less down force , less traction spray , and 1320' for everyone should bring back tire life...

thanks for the info jerry; interesting to say the least.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back