Why is NHRA unwilling to have Sat. Night races? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Just once, it would be neat to see what an NHRA night race would look like. They could run Thursdau-Saturday. 2 quals Friday, 1 during day on Saturday, then run R1 at maybe 6:30 or 7.

A facility that tried this would have tecord crowds. Fox's last NASCAR date is June 9, and most cup races are on Sunday. Even if there is a conflict, NASCAR and NHRA are not a 100% crossover audience.

Would you rather bake in 90 degree heat, or see nitro flames under the lights?

Just once, it would be neat to see what an NHRA night race would look like.

2000 and 2001 WWTR (Gateway)did it. In 2000 it rained off and on all day Top Fuel finals a little after 1 am, Stock finals about 2. It was a looong day.

If a track tried it it would have to be a 2 day event, no one was their on Thursday at Gateway.

About a decade ago, Norwalk ran both Fri and Sat nights on a July 4 weekend I believe. Awesome show they put on. Fri nights are always great there. Daytime racing in summer these days isn’t worth it until race day.

2012 Rt 66 race started around 3pm (rain), ended after 8, perfect time for a Sunday race, way better than broiling in the sun all morning and afternoon just because NHRA wants to get out by 4pm

There would be no Sunday gate. Final eliminations would be Saturday night.
I thought the OP said R1 Sat night. Running 2 rounds of Q and all of elims on Saturday would be an endurance contest for fans and teams. And the gate at the track would go down. Friday doesn’t get good turnouts, and Sat already does - so with no Sunday gate the track owner will get hurt financially.

I remember reading somewhere that the drivers / teams didn't want anything at night, past 8pm maybe? Local ordinances would also be another hang up. I always thought Las Vegas could. But I live about 15 miles from the track and can still hear the fuel cars on their Monday test runs.

I thought the OP said R1 Sat night. Running 2 rounds of Q and all of elims on Saturday would be an endurance contest for fans and teams. And the gate at the track would go down. Friday doesn’t get good turnouts, and Sat already does - so with no Sunday gate the track owner will get hurt financially.
I'm the OP. Let me clarify what I was trying to say.
Never said 2 rounds of qualifying on Saturday, just 1. When I said R1 at 6:30 or 7, it meant that is the time Final eliminations would begin and run to completion between 10-11 depending on how it is scheduled. Sorry if that was unclear.

Fans could choose to come all day or only in the evening, just like now some people show up in the morning to watch sportsmen, and some don't show up til the nitro cars run.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that the drivers / teams didn't want anything at night, past 8pm maybe?
If they have to get to the track the next morning, sure. If the race was at night, it's a moot issue. There is nothing the next day unless due to weather delay.

If they have to get to the track the next morning, sure. If the race was at night, it's a moot issue. There is nothing the next day unless due to weather d
I get it and understand the concept. Possibly lighting may be another issue as well. Going 330+ mph may require a well lit surface that some tracks don't have yet. I remember NASCAR tracks upgrading their lighting years ago. I believe Charlotte was one of the first with a massive upgrade to host night racing. Just some thoughts as to why it isn't happening. It'd be great if it happened and was done well.

bradenton Q1 was 7pm thursday, Q4 7pm friday, and finals on saturday were run under lights.
musco lighting was in place ....... racers seemed to like the format? not sure if PRO has advocated for anything similar
on national event tour ....... for sure certain tracks either don't have lighting, and/or noise ordinance curfews.

Last edited:
Night racing is the best! I wonder if it could be done at Maple Grove, at least have the semis and finals at evening-night. I don't think neighbors mind the noise so much.

Last edited:
I would concur that lighting may be a concern... Unlike other closed course racing events Drag racing has a lot of motion in the pits and it is a safer environment in the Day light. IMO

PRO and Scag sure got it right at Bradenton. Flew from Texas for it. Ready for the next one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back