Why is everything so expensive ? (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
Why is everything so expensive , I know I don't have a job but thats because im doing a course . I may be only 18 but I have dreams and ambitions , and every day I feel whats the point in having dreams and ambition when I will take me ages and ages to earn enough money to do those things . Its almost the story of my life , wanting stuff I will never have or be able to afford .

Why is everything so expensive , I know I don't have a job but thats because im doing a course . I may be only 18 but I have dreams and ambitions , and every day I feel whats the point in having dreams and ambition when I will take me ages and ages to earn enough money to do those things . Its almost the story of my life , wanting stuff I will never have or be able to afford .

If everything in life came easily, William, you would have no appreciation for anything you do have or obtain. Took me years to figure that one out for myself, and it will likely take you that long as well. We live in an age of instant gratification.

sweat equity.
finish your course and start working......
work hard, be willing to work long hours and most importantly, be honest.
if you're employed, try to give the boss more than he/she expects.
if you're self employed, try to give the customer more than he/she expects.
you'll be surprised how many doors will open for you.

and put a few bucks in lottery.
you never know.;)

Things have always been expensive. In 1965 a new mustang cost $2600 but most jobs paid around $100 a week. So it took about six months wages to buy a new car. About the same as now.

Remember: Happiness = posessions / desires

I think the cost of many items is going down and is more affordable. Just look at the many electronic gadgets and how expensive they used to be. Like computers...they are much faster than they used to be years ago and much cheaper and you are making more money than you were years ago. Talk to some one much older than you and they will open your eyes as to what was available and what it cost years ago. Things just appear to be expensive...like gas.

Examples: VCR in 1981, $1089
Computer (with 1Mb of ram and 42Mb on the hard drive) with a dot matrix printer, $2000.

I remember being a kid in 1970 and my Dad bought a new car. He took me with him and I really wanted him to at least look at a Barracuda. He told me that he was buying a Pontiac and that when I was old enough I could certainly afford to buy a Barracuda as they were cheap cars...

I have yet to afford my Barracuda. ;)

Anyway... To the point... Money is a renewable resource. The better you can educate yourself and use some common sense while aquiring wisdom from those around you the sooner you will be able to afford the things you want.

Just as in a points chase where the first point of the year is just as valuable as the last point, if you take care of the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves.

William, I am 52 and I still have dreams and ambitions, and I have yet to be able to afford to get all the stuff I would liek to have, but more importantly is that I have the stuff that I need.......and it is not all material items. Not picking on you, but your statement is typical of young people your age. For some reason, young people thse days seem to think that they should come out of school earning 50 grand a year, driving a new car and living in a 250 thousand dollar home. That may be life in the movies or TV, but it is not in the real world. Complete your studies, save your money, work hard and a few years down the road you will have lots to show for it and the satisfaction that goes with it. What is it that Dave Ramsey says? Something like, "live like no one else today so that you can live like no one else tomorrow"? Make some goals for your life, keep them realistic but know there are no limits, as Goals are nothing more than dreams with deadlines.

I'm not wanting to be rich , or have a fancy house . I do wan't alot of cars (american v8 cars only) . I am willing to work hard , I just want to be able to do the things I want to do and get the things I want to get . I am not worried about how long it will take me , I am only worried that when I get enough money to get the cars I want they might no longer be around or be so rare they cost to much , and that I might never save enough money to do the things I want to do . Lol I am not greedy or just wanting everything now . thanks for the advice everybody.

Just remember. You can only have inflation if an economy is able to SUPPORT the inflation. It averages about 4% long term. High prices can't stay high unless people can pay them. It's a good thing. (unless you're like some old Democrat from Texas who once stood up and complained "There's too much CONSOOMIN goin' on out there! :D

It is the job of every business and every employee to get as much for their goods or services as the market will bear. High prices just means that somewhere there's an opportunity for you to get yourself on the receiving end.

If you or anyone else here is serious about wanting to improve your financial life, I'd suggest clicking on any date here and listening (it's cheaper than buying the book!). The Dave Ramsey Show

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back