Why do male fans of female celebs take beatings? (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
I hope posting this is OK with the people here, you guys are all cool so I guess it's OK. I posted this first on another board I frequent and it became a popular topic.

With that said, I must recount a conversation I had with a school classmate when I was 16. I was telling him how I went to a Stevie Nicks concert the week before, and how great she is, yada yada. The kid goes, “holy crap man you sound you’re in love with her!” Of course he doesn’t know who she is and I tell him, “I like Stevie for the music, she’s old enough to be my mother!”

A couple of years later I came across a young actress named Leelee Sobieski. You know, the one that played Joan of Arc in the TV movie. She was gorgeous and I liked the job she did. Well I was talking to some friends about her and even though I acknowledged her acting, all I got was “you sound like you’re in love you her,” “You sound like an immature 14 year old,” and the like.

And on another board, all I did was say that I was pissed that Katharine McPhee, who is beyond words gorgeous lost out to a guy who’s nearly 30 and grey in a popular singing competition. A 100+ post was then created basically bashing my taste in women (which is generally excellent, by the way). Seems like I’m not allowed to be a guy. :rolleyes:

Speaking of said singer, on a major web board dedicated to TV singing shows a thread was started by someone questioning her sexuality. Now as a guy I would LOVE it if she was at least bisexual, but everyone knows she is straight and so the whole thread became a “running gag.” On one of the posts a female poster said, “man I would I love it if she would have a nice makeout session with me.” A male poster said the same thing and he was immediately jumped upon and called “creepy,” “stalker,” etc.

A year ago, I was talking to a friend about Ashley Force. She’s beautiful, and one hell of a driver too. I told him I like to take a picture with her every year when we (my dad and I) go to the track. He said, “dude, not for nothing but that sounds a bit stalkerish!” Never mind the fact that there are some fans that will take a picture with her, then an hour later go to her trailer again and say, “that one didn’t come out, can I take another one?” Of course, that line as you can suspect was bullsh*t.

Here’s my complaint. If a woman said that she liked to take a picture with a female racer every year, or if she had the same feelings as me about that TV show and also said how amazingly pretty she is, or liked a certain actress, nothing would be said. But as soon as a guy says something (not just me), he’s “in love,” “being stalkerish,” and a whole bunch of other bullsh*t. Why can’t a guy be a fan – just a fan – without being beaten up?

BTW on the same board someone said this:

"The answer to your question is that a guy can be just a fan of a woman entertainer/athlete or whatever. I think you miss the point. It is not what you say but how you say it. It seems that the many people you are conversing with are sensing an inappropriate amount of enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is good within certain limits."

What the hell is "inappropriate enthusiasm?" You tell me.

Uhhh Samuel..(bullhorn) "STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER."

Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks. You're a fan.

My suggestion is perhaps frequenting boards that offer a more mature approach. You're going to have that crap at 90% of the more popular sites.

I don't have a problem with you being a fan of anyone. Frankly, the whole celebrity worship thing annoys me..but you can be a fan..and appreciate what they do. You'll get no immature response from me...:D

Hell, I'm a FAN of our Texas Kelly..hehe..in a stalker sort of way..LOL (we can still joke like that can't we?):eek:

Maybe there's something to this imbalance of which you speak Samuel?

You are constantly chided for your admiration yet our own beloved Kelly is obsessed with a certain fragrant short little driver guy to the point that if she were a guy, she would've already been institutionalized-yet we hail her?

Go figure.
Yeah, I hail her!
Hail yes!

Maybe there's something to this imbalance of which you speak Samuel?

You are constantly chided for your admiration yet our own beloved Kelly is obsessed with a certain fragrant short little driver guy to the point that if she were a guy, she would've already been institutionalized-yet we hail her?

Go figure.
Yeah, I hail her!
Hail yes!
Didn't Ron already deal with one stalker? I bet he learned enough from that experience to fend off Kelly if the need arose. :D

btw - Sam, If I were prone to stalkerism, Katherine McPhee would be high on my list, too!

LMAO! Y'all are cracking me up!

I think the difference is perception. If I were on here posting how HOT I thought Ron was and went into graphic detail.....that would be different. I am not disrespectful to him or his family. I respect the 'line' and I know my place. I also respect him as a professional driver and a person.

Maybe that's the grey area that many don't mind venturing into. It could be because I know him. I don't ever want to put anything out on the internet that would make him or his family uncomfortable in person. Now, I might not be so restrained posting about someone that I would have a snowball's chance in hell of ever meeting or getting to know. :)

Before I go to bed, have to say a few things...

Maybe that's the grey area that many don't mind venturing into. It could be because I know him. I don't ever want to put anything out on the internet that would make him or his family uncomfortable in person. Now, I might not be so restrained posting about someone that I would have a snowball's chance in hell of ever meeting or getting to know.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

I would never put a woman on a "pedestal" that I actually had a chance in hell with. With a celeb, you know she would never go for you so why the harm? If putting a woman on a pedestal turns her off it wouldn't matter because if they don't know you exist then they won't be turned off.

BTW, here is the link to the original thread: Click here.

Unregistered users are restricted (they had a big hack a bit ago, that's why that's there), so go to Ezboard and get an global account, it's free.

Other than that's it's a fun place.

r2448692733.jpg

Sam,

Don't worry about it and ignore the boneheads! They are just not mature enough to discuss the topic and are to afraid of the being ridiculed themselves.

And trust me, even when you reach my age there are people who like to ridicule you if you express any kind of emotion towards someone... so don't sweat and have fun!!

BTW...

If the girl you're talking about is the one in the picture Tom posted... count me in too! I'll be right there with you little buddy!

Eye candy alert!

Speaking of Katherine, while I am here might as post post some pictures.

Remember that this is the woman that that other place said I shouldn't vocally admire...

KatharineMcphee156.jpg

KatharineMcphee57.jpg

KatharineMcphee109.jpg

KatharineMcphee216.jpg

(Had to put them in my photobucket as I can't link to the pics directly)

Sam - as far as I'm concerned you can post as many pics of her as you want. I think she's destined for great things and she definitely is the total package... looks, talent, attitude, etc. She was one of my top 3 early on in last year's competition and finishing up 2nd to a seasoned pro (Taylor) is no small feat. In fact I'd like to see them do some recording together.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back