Whit's Blog - Those naive homeowners..... (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
>>>You can’t start the car until 10 a.m. due to the noise restrictions with all these newly built mc-mansions that surround the place and the naïve people that bought them. So, it’s a good opportunity to catch up on my blog<<<

Hey, I didn't know there was a Drag Strip down the street - poor babies!

Homeowners should realize whats around them before they buy a house... Jr Drags were kicked out of Pomona because they made too much noise (if you have ever heard a Jr you would know they sound like bees)... My family was being sued by a neighbor behind us for starting the Jrs in the middle of the day... He also sued us because our trailer blocked the view of our own backyard... He died before any action was taken (God doesn't let people mess with racing, lol)...

If I am not mistaken I have heard of tracks being shut down because homes get closer and closer and then they expect the track to do away... any specific details out there??

CJ Curtsinger

I love how rich snobs (that's what these people are, you know the type, they buy a million dollar house and a $80K luxury car than complain about the price of a $2 item at the supermarket) don't investigate the neighborhood and then bitch
about the track. I mean really, what is E-town known for? THE RACE TRACK! :mad:

ETA: Those houses aren't even that nice, they are big but they have no property, why buy a big house if you can reach out your window and grab your neighbor's toothpaste?

why buy a big house if you can reach out your window and grab your neighbor's toothpaste?

thats how they can afford those houses, they don't have to buy toothpaste :)

it really pisses me off when people move into a neighborhood or town and then want it to change to the way they want.

If its a factory, race track, mall or garbage dump if it was there before you then shut up or don't move there

Whit's humor is right on about the homeowners!! Name a drag race track, and most in LA were forced to sell by the "new" neighbors standards or driven out by city property taxes.
Kennedale Dragway in south DFW has been under attack by "new" homeowners, and the infamous Green Valley fell to urban sprawl as well.

I'm still glad Billy built his place way out there in nowhere land.
RO

This is a bit off topic but has the same results.

In SoCal Knotts Berry Farm (which has been there since dirt was invented) is under the gun again for the new coaster built in camp snoopy.

Knotts now gives the surrounding homeowners free passes to the parks in hopes to keep them at bay.

As for the homes being so close you could slap your neighbor for snoring too loud come to SoCal You could slap him and his wife snoring next to him.

There should be a law against stupid. :mad:

Seattle has restrictions because of a housing tract built right next to the entry road. The houses are looking run-down already...obviously not that well built. But, they forced the track to make changes.

We're lucky here in So. Oregon. Our track is in a dedicated "noise" area. There's an oval track, drag strip, cage cart track & go-cart track. None can ever be shut down for noise. They can close for terrible management though, which is what we're afraid of at the drag strip.

They closed OCIR to put up big buildings, but found out the water table was too high and had to settle for 1-2 stories instead. Irwindale was closed because the city of Irwindale wanted the tax dollars from a Miller Brewery on the site. Fremont was closed, I think, for noise and now they can't do a darn thing with the land. Salt water table way too high for the golf course they wanted and auto dealerships further up the road all failed. Serves them right for closing the place!

We're lucky here in So. Oregon. Our track is in a dedicated "noise" area. There's an oval track, drag strip, cage cart track & go-cart track. None can ever be shut down for noise. They can close for terrible management though, which is what we're afraid of at the drag strip.
Unfortunately it's not the same up north here in Portland. We've got the same type of idiots that moved in by PIR and now bitch and whine about the noise. Nevermind the fact that the jets taking off from PDX make just as much, or more, noise than the cars and bikes at the track. :rolleyes:

Homeowners should realize whats around them before they buy a house...

If I am not mistaken I have heard of tracks being shut down because homes get closer and closer and then they expect the track to do away... any specific details out there??

CJ Curtsinger

You're absolutely right CJ. I was the track announcer at Mid-America Raceway in Wentzville MO (just west of St Louis). The track was built in 1964 and was still owned and operated by the guy who built it. When St Louis kept growing west, the growth eventually surrounded the track. The homeowners took him to court and darn near closed him down. The judge finally allowed him to stay open but with significant restrictions. We dealt with those restrictions for years, but finally gave in and sold out to developers. The end of an awesome era for sure...:(

Fremont was closed, I think, for noise and now they can't do a darn thing with the land. Salt water table way too high for the golf course they wanted and auto dealerships further up the road all failed. Serves them right for closing the place!
Pat
This is not true at all... I don't have time right now to go look up the past thread on Fremont because I would never remember the name of it... But it was an endangered frog or snake they found that put an end to the plans of industrial buildings or a shopping mall... Noise had absolutly nothing to do with it's demise though... I'm just going to leave it at that, until I can find the post... I linked an attachment about the whole deal on that other thread as well as to who, what and why that place will always be a great memory for me and many others... But will remain a huge lake bed for a very long time... :(

If old bridge raceway park were ever replaced by houses, the tax increase needed to provide the services (mainly education) for all the kids living in those houses would probably drive down the prices of those mcmansions a lot more than the absence of noise would drive them up. And I think the people in Englishtown know that.

Airports and Air Bases are affected. Housing is allowed by the county/city to build in line with the runways and after awhile the airports/air bases are run out of the area. The counties need to provide a moritorium to keep the housing out of the area. To much politics on the builders side.

MONEY........Politics are just a scratch on the surface its all about how much money will it bring the city/county.

Racetrack = $$

Houses = $$$$$$$

Its a shame some people/companies have to be so greedy.

I cannot tell you how many times I've sent out Raceway Park SOS's....about upcoming meetings between the track, neighbors, township.....

So far, Raceway park has won. However, they still continue to build houses all around the park. The Realtors are required to inform potential buyers about the drag strip, and perhaps have them be in the neighborhood on an Sunday. But still, they band together once in and fight to restrict the drag strip even more.

I've long asked myself why anyone would move in next to a dragstrip and complain about the noise. Maybe it's financial. What if property is somewhat undervalued when they buy it BECAUSE of the track. If they can get the track closed down, they make a profit when values go up. What if real estate agents are giving them "wink, wink, nod, nod" advice concerning this when showing, selling the house on that angle? If you want to know why anything works, follow the money.

I think if I was the owner of Raceway Park in NJ I'd print up the following letter and mail it to all the homeowners and the "association" who is doing all the complaining.

Dear neighbors, we (Raceway Park) are aware of your displeasure with the racing and noise on Sundays. Although we have been here since the mid 1960's we will be closing our doors at the end of this season. To be more "Community Sensitive" we are going to replace the race track with an amusement park... It will be open 7 days a week, and we are going to try to help underprivileged children (especially the 15- 19 yr olds) The "inner city" youths from Newark, Bronx, Bayonne, etc will be invited to come to "Friendly Englishtown Amusement Park" for FREE on Fri. nights.
We also will be trying to have the groups (please note I called them Groups...NOT GANGS) known as the "Crips" and the "Bloods" come and as Rodney King once said..."Can't We All Get Along Better" so in that vein the "Gang Bangers" will be invited to camp out and sleep on the property on Fri night to party and learn to get along with eachother...

Also in the interest of the community "WE" (Raceway Park) will hire between 6-10 security guards from the "Senior Citizen" sector to keep these youths under strict control..

Remember these kids will be "YOUR GUESTS" so please treat them with respect and don't be afraid to invite then into your home for a dinner or a 40 oz bottle of Red Dawg Beer.

We are hoping the homeowners committee will assist in making rules for these kids, and to report any muggings, assaults, or burglary's that may occur during their stays on the weekends.

Also while on the subject of under privileged youth, we plan on helping under privileged family's.. We will be building high rise buildings and permit any non citizen who is in the US legally to live here rent free.. this will help show how "Neighbor Friendly" us people from Englishtown can really be...

Thank you for your cooperation and help in this human endever...

The management.....

Last edited:
We are fairly fortunate here in Oklahoma, the Tulsa track is surrounded by the airport one mile to the west, a rock quarry east, future road course and oval property north to the road and industrial businesses to the south. And it is still one of the longest tracks in existence today. The biggest threat to losing it was fact it was not maintained in its previous 40 year history. Now it is nearly rebuilt new.

In Noble, outside of Norman, the NHRA facility, Thunder Valley Raceway, is way out amongst farm and farmers. Neither has residential issues and probably never will...

The old Tulsa Speedway was at the Fairgrounds for many years, over time the fairgrounds became smack dab in the middle of town and is now surrounded by neighborhoods with complainers. (didn't seem to matter back in the previous four decades!) Now the fairgrounds has lost a 50 year old amusement park, the circle track shut down...the only racing that goes on there now is horse racing and then of course the Chili Bowl every January inside the Expo building....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back