What is your idea of a Strong NHRA? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Since I have been a member here 13-14 years, I have seen probably 500 threads about what NHRA is doing wrong, Or where is the crowd or how or sport is dying....you get the picture! I wanna hear solutions to fixing the Apparent problem! My opinion is this sport has become SOO fractured by the Sportsman racers/fans, the Pro Mod racers/fans, the Nitro fans, Nostalgia fans, Doorslammer racers/fans, you see where this is going! I would hate to have Tom Compton's job, and unlike several here I don't think if NHRA listened to my suggestions, Ticket sales and TV ratings would jump 80%! As long as NHRA remains Non-profit, is there any incentive on their part to change?

Since I have been a member here 13-14 years, I have seen probably 500 threads about what NHRA is doing wrong, Or where is the crowd or how or sport is dying....you get the picture! I wanna hear solutions to fixing the Apparent problem! My opinion is this sport has become SOO fractured by the Sportsman racers/fans, the Pro Mod racers/fans, the Nitro fans, Nostalgia fans, Doorslammer racers/fans, you see where this is going! I would hate to have Tom Compton's job, and unlike several here I don't think if NHRA listened to my suggestions, Ticket sales and TV ratings would jump 80%! As long as NHRA remains Non-profit, is there any incentive on their part to change?
You say non-profit...but the problem is the profits go into the executives pockets! As long as Compton et al keep getting their salaries there is no incentive to improve!

They need to rock the boat and put entertainment on the track that will appeal to the younger generation. I don't have the perfect solution, but you need something for the younger generation without alienating the current fan base. Using social media as an interactive tool while at the track would be a start. Modifying pro-stock to look more like their production counterparts and hopefully add some foreign manufacturers to the fold in PS could help. There isn't a sliver bullet that will fix this, but if they can make a lot of smaller changes hopefully it will help stop the bleeding. I think a format like they had in Houston last year was great as it highlighted the drama of getting ready for the final and being on the clock. NASCAR had the day off that day and many of the drivers/owners/crew chiefs were tweeting about what the NHRA was doing on live TV, that was the type of excitement needed for the sport.

Being my personal view, I'll have to say they need to just drop the "get a new crowd" stuff. I'm not saying getting the next generation into the sport isn't important, I'm saying, don't cater to them. Here's our sport, like it? Great! Here's cheaper tickets for you and your college friends to attend and have fun. Don't like it? Cool, but don't expect us to plop a few rappers into a Escalade with spinner wheels for your enjoyment.

Changing what drag racing has been all these years to better grab a newer crowd is just silly in my opinion. It should either stand on it's own merits, or downsize. No need to prop it up to better fill these gigantic stadium tracks they built. Drag racing will survive as long as there's vehicles to pair up. It might revert to smaller stadium tracks (scaffold bleacher types) but it'll be just fine.

The youngest generation (as it always has been) goes through a period that finds them raging against the machine, being different for the sake of being different. The fact is, all that settles out in the end, and quality (whatever it is) always wins out. Why do you think half of their music is actually music from the 70s and 80s re-treaded? If you ever listen, you almost always hear something from a song you used to know. Same with the movies. If their not making comic book character movies, they are remaking movies from our past, sometimes when the movie isn't even 5-10yrs old yet. My point is, the computer generations have a habit of being a copy-paste look what I did generations. If anyone tries to cater to them for anything other than short term, they're in big trouble. They'll mature (hopefully) and laugh at how they thought spinner wheels and drifting cars were cool. We all go through that phase. I cringe at the things I wore in the 80's, but at the time, I felt soooo cool.

Drag racing never bent over for any generation. You either "got it" or didn't. It's no different no matter the decade.

There's a difference nowadays. Yes, there has always been human interest stories available, but the racing always came first. Now it's different. It seems it's actually taken a back seat to fabricated drama.

We're talking drag racing, so I say trim all the social media bullsh*t.
Stop dramatizing things that are already, inherently dramatic.
Quit using NASCAR as a template (the only commonality between the two is they use internal combustion engines).
Drop the countdown.
Quit catering to a fickled group who will eventually come around. Or they won't.
Stop morphing the deal to get short term gains.

Last edited:
Why is this supposed to be "everyman's sport"? I agree with Kevin- either you get it or you don't.

-I would say to make the Pros run 3 rounds of qualifying Friday, including one night session, with class cars qualifying for a 16-car field.

-Have a last-chance Saturday morning Pro session with a $2500 bonus for EVERY car that moves up- and getting or keeping Number 1 gets you $5,000... (I know- where's the money gonna come from? Well, someone mentioned it is a not-for-profit corporation, and I think there's a lot of folks that don't believe the board of directors should really earn more than the top performers in the sport, SO.... there's your piggy-bank to raid from), followed by Saturday Pro eliminations, with final rounds scheduled for sunset. Include ProMod and a regional choice on the "entertainment" cars- Nostalgia, jets, wheelie cars, Super Stockers- whatever the local track can reel in to put on a between rounds show.

-Run Sportsman eliminators only all day Sunday. 16 car fields would get those that qualified on their way home before the sun went down. Open up Sunday testing to 4 Pro teams that want to do it- first come, first served (and they will have to pay track rental fees for the extra prep) and schedule them for between Sportsman semis and finals.

-Get it back to being about the cars.

i agree with the last two posts. drag racing is not for everyone. its for people that love it the first time they experience it. the rest will never get it. im soooo tired of all this crap about what needs to be done to attract a younger crowd with countdowns ,social media and copying nascar and all the rest. we have a loyal group of fans that follow drag racing. they are our best ambassadors. keep them happy and they will bring in new fans. most of them go to races if they can. some travel great distances to be at an nhra race. many think tkt prices are too high and parking should be free. people on this forum have raised alot of valid issues about things that bother them . so lets give those fans some house and fix some of those things and keep the fan base happy and going to races and watching the tv show. and lets get to point where we can have more teams competing in the pro ranks by offering more money for them to come to the races and have a chance to compete .its been talked about for years now but its vital we get more low dollar teams into the mix. we should have a low buck team in the mix every race. lets figure out how you achieve that.
so make the fans happier and more will attend races. find ways to get a wider variety of teams in the race on sunday and the excitement level will be greater. and get the tv shows more exciting. make some positive changes and the new fans will come.

My ideas probably won't be very popular but here goes. First forget about the salaries. They are in fact low for the size of the operation and they are like a pimple on an elephants rear end. Second reduce the number of national events to 12-14. Each event would be 2 days with 3 qualifying rounds on friday day/night and one qualifying saturday am with eliminations starting at 1:00. Promote each event with advertising that covers 300 miles in every direction starting 2 weeks in advance. Use your race sponsor to help with promotions and require eace pro car to make x number of area personal appearances each year to help promote the races. Limit entries at national events to pro, alcohol funny, alcohol dragster top sportsman, top dragster and factory super stock. Only run on tracks that can support 1320 foot races or reduce all races to 1000 foot for the tracks that can't support 1/4 mile runs. If you advertise on radio/tv and print you'll be surprised at the media coverage you'll get in return..perhaps not right off but the next year you can go to the media and tell them you want to spend $$$ on advertising but how disapointed you were last year when you spent $$ and didn't get any coverage of the race results. They will get the message. And finally broadcast the races one week later, they don't have many viewers anyway and you can do qualifying and eliminations in 2 or 2 1/2 hour show.

Alright, fair question. I know I have done more than my fair share of criticizing.

So here goes, let it die so it can be reborn again.

NHRA has an identity problem where it doesn't seem to understand what it is anymore. It is a racing organization, not an event putter-oner. Take care of your members and supporters and they will stay loyal. Everyone else is just there to watch.

An example it this whole collector tethering scenario for the sportsman racers. They make a rule change, tell you that you can only buy the ones that NHRA approves at (from what I've heard $200 +) so all the guys go out and buy them just to race their cars. Now as of 2/18 write an amendment that tethers are not required if the collectors are weld to each pipe. The way headers are made in the first place. Who is at the helm of the ship?

I love to go on, but I don't have all night for this.

Last edited:
You guys are missing the boat. Saying you don't need to change drag racing. Drag racing did change and that is a huge part of the problem.

An example it this whole collector tethering scenario for the sportsman racers. They make a rule change, tell you that you can only buy the ones that NHRA approves at (from what I've heard $200 +) so all the guys go out and buy them just to race their cars. Now as of 2/18 write an amendment that tethers are not required if the collectors are weld to each pipe. The way headers are made in the first place.

This is filled with misinformation.

A) the first ones were $200, but many vendors offer them (even the people who sold them at that price) for about $60 now. Hardly a huge expense.
B) the welding option was always part of the rule, from day one. Note, collectors are rarely welded on these days.
C) the change lately was in response to full-bodied full-muffler car owners' complaints. I like that they responded.

Do I like them? No, they look like add-ons. But I also understand people get maimed every year because of collectors coming off. So I have them.

nhra drag racing is just as much about the stars as it is the cars, and the sport used to have many more stars,
that arguably drew the fans who paid the price to see the stars and the cars.

if you say it's just about the cars, then name one other entertainment that fans attend because of
just the entertainment vehicle
do fans go to nascar without knowing names? favorites?
do fans go to concerts because it's going to 'country' but they don't know the artist playing?
do fans go to stick and ball sports without knowing the players?
does nbc broadcast the olympics for 2 weeks and not concentrate on specific athletes?

the nitro, the shaking bleachers, the burnouts, the throttle wacks: that is our rock-n-roll music.
(IMO not as rock-n-roll as it used to be)
is the quality of our music really good, or is it just ok?
and who's our singers?....is john force singing all our songs?....that's too bad, his voice
will wear out sooner or later, then who?....and most folks don't have a clue he's had 16 #1 hits!

nhra: so who mr. casual motorsports fan plays our rock-n-roll?....
fan: don garlits.....(pause)......the snake.....(pause)..... shirley muldowney!
nhra: rite, but they haven't raced for many years
fan: really?
nhra: anyone else?
fan: ummm, ffff force i think is the name, john force rite?
nhra: rite, he has our sport on his back, but i digress, anyone else?
fan: ummmm.....nope, can't think of anyone
nhra: do you come to our event that stops once a year just 60 miles from you?
fan: many years ago i did, but i don't really follow nhra anymore
nhra: are you going to any auto races this year?
fan: YEAH!, i'm flying to florida to the daytona 500 with my buddies, i can't wait!

who are our players?....nobody knows
antron wins the whole deal as a minority racer; nobody noticed, nobody knows who antron is.
the daytona 500 winner goes on the talk show circuit for a week.

if you're not doing social media today and you're in entertainment, you're missing the boat.
hire the best people to run your social media marketing and try to study
your results/traffic....these days it's part of brand building and peaking interest in your product

develop the public's interest in specific drivers and they will pay attention.
i see this happening with ron capps via social media.
and make sure the music you're playing is really good.

Very right, Mike. Some people bemoan the social media stuff as just a "kids" thing, like attention paid there is only to attract a younger crowd. They should note that 47% of Facebook users, and 44% of Twitter users, are 35+. That's hundreds of millions of people -- with a lot of leisure time $$ to spend. You ignore it at your peril.

Separate PRO competition from the sportsman competition. Sportsman racing would be what it is... racing. If fans want to shop up, so be it. Everything revolves around the racers. Ticket prices should be set based on what each track needs to provide the facilities and employees for the event. The NHRA gets a small cut to pay for organizing a national circuit. Sportsman competition would be the NHRA of old, providing motor heads with a safe facility to follow their hobby and test their skills against the best.

Stop kidding ourselves... PRO racing isn't racing, it hasn't been since the 20th century in my opinion. PRO racing is an advertising opportunity for sponsors. it is MONEY driven, it is a profit machine. It should be built that way. It should be geared towards the fans. What do the fans want? The fans want the noise (100% nitro mandatory), they want dry hops (mandatory), they want throttle whacks (mandatory), they want trash talking (don't penalize someone who starts a fight in the shutdown), they want drama, they want they want jet cars, they want wheelie cars. None of these things improve the quality of the race, but this isn't about racing, remember? This is about entertainment, fans, sponsors, and MONEY. Sure they are drag racing, but that's only a component, a side effect of providing the entertainment this event should be about. Nitro cars run on money, you want to make a profit from running a nitro car, you don't win races, you win sponsors... you get sponsors by getting fans... in this venue - you get fans by putting on the best show.

You want racing? Go to that sportsman race. You want a show? Go to the PRO race.

This might offend some pro teams. This might offend some pro drivers. Here's whatcha do then... you pro teams and drivers who want to continue and claim that NHRA PRO racing is really racing... you go start your own deal... and you inherit all the problems plaguing the current NHRA. What will happen (or is happening) is your costs to put on a "race" will be so high that your livelihood will teeter on where you can get cash from... you will become hopelessly dependent on sponsor money. At that point it will become (or has become) whoever has the most money will tend to win the most races. At that point it will be (or is) no longer racing because its no longer a fair playing field. Then you'll continue down that path until the fans get bored and leave, when the fans run leave the sponsors leave, when the sponsors leave the money goes with it. With no more money nobody can race anymore cause no independent person (besides maybe the Sheik) has enough money to run a car. Game over.

One last edit. I think monster trucks around 1993 or so were at a crossroads. A group wanted to legitimize monster truck racing, make it about racing. Another group wanted to turn it into an entertainment show.

Specifically, a guy by the name of Everett Jasmer wanted to make it legit racing. Anyone hear of Everett? He owns USA-1.. his shop is up the road from where I work. I stopped in one day and talked with him. He was EXTREMELY passionate about the fact that he wanted monster truck racing to be legit. He still feels this way and feels he made the right decision. I drive by his shop a couple times a week, and its him, by himself in his shop surround by his USA1 merchandise and truck.

On the other hand, a guy named Dennis Anderson had a choice to make. Sure he was passionate about the racing, but Dennis knew there was no future in legitimate monster truck racing. You ever hear of Dennis Anderson?

USHRA, the sanctioning body... they chose the entertainment route and created Monster Jam. Everett chose to leave USHRA, Dennis went along with Monster Jam.

Last edited:
I think its time for change, starting at the top. There should be a time limit on who runs NHRA, the board should be at least 50 per cent racers picked by members of NHRA. This organization needs to pay attention to what the racers, sponsors,and spectators would like to see and how they want Drag Racing to grow from here forward. I have read lots of ideas and the top leaders aren't listening. Time is not Slowing Down!

When you need a MAJOR sponsor to race anything from Super Stock on up, there is a problem. Even the BIG nitro teams who already have big bucks won't take on another car unless they have a major sponsor for the new car.

Pro Stock? The best years for that class were in the 70's. There is NOTHING stock about a Pro Stock car. No one can identify with those cars, IMO.

Front wheel drive foreign cars. Forget it. That was tried with the sport compact classes and it failed. Does anyone really want to be around the majority of kids who are into sport compacts? Really dude? They don't even know which end of the car to put the slicks on.

Bring down the overall cost of racing and many other issues will fall into place.

FWIW

better b careful kevin on the rappers/esclade comment u will b branded a racist
by da NNN AAAA CCCC PPPPP !!!! LOL :rolleyes:

Just a random tho
Separate PRO competition from the sportsman competition. Sportsman racing would be what it is... racing. If fans want to shop up, so be it. Everything revolves around the racers. Ticket prices should be set based on what each track needs to provide the facilities and employees for the event. The NHRA gets a small cut to pay for organizing a national circuit. Sportsman competition would be the NHRA of old, providing motor heads with a safe facility to follow their hobby and test their skills against the best.

Stop kidding ourselves... PRO racing isn't racing, it hasn't been since the 20th century in my opinion. PRO racing is an advertising opportunity for sponsors. it is MONEY driven, it is a profit machine. It should be built that way. It should be geared towards the fans. What do the fans want? The fans want the noise (100% nitro mandatory), they want dry hops (mandatory), they want throttle whacks (mandatory), they want trash talking (don't penalize someone who starts a fight in the shutdown), they want drama, they want they want jet cars, they want wheelie cars. None of these things improve the quality of the race, but this isn't about racing, remember? This is about entertainment, fans, sponsors, and MONEY. Sure they are drag racing, but that's only a component, a side effect of providing the entertainment this event should be about. Nitro cars run on money, you want to make a profit from running a nitro car, you don't win races, you win sponsors... you get sponsors by getting fans... in this venue - you get fans by putting on the best show.

You want racing? Go to that sportsman race. You want a show? Go to the PRO race.

This might offend some pro teams. This might offend some pro drivers. Here's whatcha do then... you pro teams and drivers who want to continue and claim that NHRA PRO racing is really racing... you go start your own deal... and you inherit all the problems plaguing the current NHRA. What will happen (or is happening) is your costs to put on a "race" will be so high that your livelihood will teeter on where you can get cash from... you will become hopelessly dependent on sponsor money. At that point it will become (or has become) whoever has the most money will tend to win the most races. At that point it will be (or is) no longer racing because its no longer a fair playing field. Then you'll continue down that path until the fans get bored and leave, when the fans run leave the sponsors leave, when the sponsors leave the money goes with it. With no more money nobody can race anymore cause no independent person (besides maybe the Sheik) has enough money to run a car. Game over.

One last edit. I think monster trucks around 1993 or so were at a crossroads. A group wanted to legitimize monster truck racing, make it about racing. Another group wanted to turn it into an entertainment show.

Specifically, a guy by the name of Everett Jasmer wanted to make it legit racing. Anyone hear of Everett? He owns USA-1.. his shop is up the road from where I work. I stopped in one day and talked with him. He was EXTREMELY passionate about the fact that he wanted monster truck racing to be legit. He still feels this way and feels he made the right decision. I drive by his shop a couple times a week, and its him, by himself in his shop surround by his USA1 merchandise and truck.

On the other hand, a guy named Dennis Anderson had a choice to make. Sure he was passionate about the racing, but Dennis knew there was no future in legitimate monster truck racing. You ever hear of Dennis Anderson?

USHRA, the sanctioning body... they chose the entertainment route and created Monster Jam. Everett chose to leave USHRA, Dennis went along with Monster Jam.

I respect everyones views and oppinions but the thought of this makes me very sad.

Just a random tho

I respect everyones views and oppinions but the thought of this makes me very sad.

I understand where you're coming from. But I recognize that the old days are gone and they're not coming back. I feel that the NHRA can't survive if they don'evolve though, and if that happens I'll never see a such a concentration of nitro at one place ever again. That makes me sad.

nhra drag racing is just as much about the stars as it is the cars, and the sport used to have many more stars, that arguably drew the fans who paid the price to see the stars and the cars.
if you say it's just about the cars, then name one other entertainment that fans attend because of just the entertainment vehicle

I guess we disagree. There's people that follow people, and people that follow racing. Cars attract the racing crowd. People that like the cars, will always like the people involved with them. People that follow people, will always like the people, and never really care what type of cracker you spread it on.

Since we're selling racing, and not crackers, let's start with the cars. The racing is what is important to these types of fans. They will return if the racing is there, and they will be interested in the people involved. This is how you grow a sport. You make the sport #1. The human interest stories come with it, but it will never be the reason a sport survives. If you make the people the stars, you will fall prey to that crowd, as they move on to whatever is next in the popular watercooler circle.

Using your music analogy, I can't begin to tell you the number of "entertainers" that have passed into obscurity, even after having experienced a huge success as a "person". In the end, if their music was good, they remain popular. If it wasn't, you can't get people to remember their full name. The music is the star. But I guess that's where our opinions differ.

Very right, Mike. Some people bemoan the social media stuff as just a "kids" thing, like attention paid there is only to attract a younger crowd. They should note that 47% of Facebook users, and 44% of Twitter users, are 35+. That's hundreds of millions of people -- with a lot of leisure time $$ to spend. You ignore it at your peril.

I ignore it because I understand it's limited true value and impact in keeping drag racing a good product. There's a perceived value, and a real value. Like paper money. It's more a tool for advertising to heavily weight it's effectiveness in a boardroom or a high-level sales pitch. It's only real if it impacts sales. So yes, for some products, (Doritos, Online Music Purchases, Television Productions), it's an asset, and helps brand awareness in the ultra-competitive soda-pop aisles. The issue I have is catering to the melodramatic appetite that is the Reality TV crowd. It's not putting our best foot forward, it is in-fact, playing into the "give me the highlights as I have money to spend on something else" mentality. We (drag racing) only "trend" when there's a horrific fiery scene to display. It's a quick rubber-neck reaction, then we're a distant thought. It's not relating the thrill that is drag racing in all it's glory. The skill of building a vehicle that can accelerate like they do. I am sure it's one-in-the-same for some minds. The idea that any media attention is good attention. That any association of a product branded across the side of a car getting a bump in cyber curiosity is better than none. For the health of the sport, the sponsors need some return on their investment. But listen to that carefully. It's becoming a simple equation. Lets sell our products, not "let's make drag racing popular". They would advertise on the side of a virus instead if it meant more return. That's business, I get it. My comment is that the two have radically different agendas. One wants to promote a racing league, the other wants to promote a consumable product. High-Performance Equipment and Car manufacturers are about the only ones that are aligned with these racing sports. No simple answer there, but when it comes to computers, and the fickled nature of popular software, make no mistake, they come and they go.

When asked, I warned friends that buying the Facebook stock was a ultra-high risk deal. There is no product. It's simply a glorified billboard. Teens are what made Facebook popular. In fact, Facebook made it's largest leap in users when news outlets started reporting about it's popularity with teenagers. The latest numbers show that yes, Facebook is primarily 28 and above. They followed the teenagers there. And those same latest numbers you quoted are because of the mass exodus that is occurring with that same teen crowd. They are leaving Facebook and gravitating to other sites (remember when Myspace was the rage? That's just it. It's a faded memory). Some owned by Facebook, some not, but my point still stands. It's short term thinking. We're trying to grab a consumer that's just not interested. Tossing around ideas about how to woo this demographic by changing the racing scene, that is my issue. It's not ever going to work. We can do our best to expose folks to the sport, but if it's not their cup of tea, nothing we do will ever sell them on it, and the most it will do is give someone a great powerpoint graph in a boardroom somewhere lauding about how many "hits" they got. Great. That sales team gets another contract, but there's fewer butts in the bleachers.

better b careful kevin on the rappers/esclade comment u will b branded a racist
by da NNN AAAA CCCC PPPPP !!!! LOL :rolleyes:

Yeah, but funny thing is, when I wrote that, in my mind I was thinking about entitled middleclass d-bag white kids throwing gang-signs in selfies.

Last edited:
People said many of the same things about the telephone, and radio, and talking movies, and color tv, and the internet, and ... You have to go where the people are if you want to be seen at all.

By the way, that "mass exodus" from Facebook was a 3% drop...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back