What is the deal with Warren Johnson? (1 Viewer)

Suffice it to say....there's nothing in WJ's run book that Greg or Jason would want. It would be just the opposite...and has been for around 10 years or so.

Regarding references to Gordie and The Greek, the difference is neither one of those guys has had dominant cars for multiple years. Gordie has always been a journeyman and The Greek's claim to fame was he was the first to hit 200 mph at Kansas City back in the 60's.

Suffice it to say....there's nothing in WJ's run book that Greg or Jason would want. It would be just the opposite...and has been for around 10 years or so.

See there,you don't know what you're talking about. The period the run log book was stolen was the period when NHRA was going to mandate bead lock wheels for P/Ser's . WJ had done extensive testing on the bead locks for Goodyear and that was in the book. GA even *****ed about NHRA mandating the bead locks,said they were not needed but NHRA had listened to WJ and mandated them. Don't let your dislike for WJ to get in the way of the facts.

There are folks who are worse interviews when they win-some blame the world when they lose. Heres who we need to get out of retirement:

Introducing the Eddie Hill school of race etiquette! :D
Where we'll teach you how to interview when you win so you sound like you are really glad to be there--and not be "in you face"
And how to smile and go "aw shucks" when you loose
How to remember to thank everyone that helpped you that day
How to thank the lord without sounding "preachy"
The best way to thanks sponsors so you sound like a friend giving advice rahter than a mindless commercial
How to smile + say hello to everyone you make eye contact with-and how to realize that the autograph you're signing might have real meaning to the person you're giving it to.
So you dont forget-call before midnite tonite to 1-800-hotdog.
Thank you--and ya'll have a nice day!:)

From hearing Mike Edwards on TV and talking to him at the races, I'd say he must have gone to the Eddie Hill School of Race Etiquette-he has all the above bases covered!

The thing with Mike Edwards that amazes me is I don't think last year he had a bigger budget than Warren and Greg but he still dominated the class with one car. With Greg, everyone said he brought the best parts, etc. What did Mike do? Is it hard work paying off or luck. I think hard work.
I wish WJ can find a sponsor that will let him race as long as he wants to and he can get back to winning national events.
One more thing, I would love to see Eddie back out there.:)

Last edited:
Are the same people calling for Warren to retire, the same people clamoring for Shirley and her pissy attitude to comeback?

I'm no WJ fan, but if he wants to continue to race, he has that right. He may be cranky, but he must still enjoy what he does, or he wouldn't be doing it.

the difference is neither one of those guys has had dominant cars for multiple years.

So? What does that mean? There has not been one individual in the entire history of modern-day Pro Stock drag racing that has clawed their way to the top of the mountain and stayed there. Those types of things have always been cyclical and always will be. RMS dominated Pro Stock with 4-straight world titles, and even though we lost Lee during the 5th year, up to that point their edge from the previous 4 championship years had obviously been neutralized because I don't even think they were leading the points at the time. Glidden's edge had long since been surpassed when he hung it up, but he didn't quit right away.

Yeah, times have changed. The family structure that Warren and Glidden built their operations on can no longer get it done today. Does that mean he should hang it up? Not according to folks like GM Performance Parts and K&N. According to them he still has marketing value even after the drop-off in performance. Can he drive with the best? Not by the numbers. His reaction times may not consistently play with the guys at the top, but make no mistake, he's one of the best (if not the best) "feel" drivers there ever was in Pro Stock. To this day he navigates tricky tracks better than most without the need to abort.

He obviously still enjoys what he's doing, he continues to get marketing support, and oh yeah, he's the winningest Pro Stock driver in the all of drag racing.......................by a bunch. Let's keep bashing him. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sean D

So? What does that mean? There has not been one individual in the entire history of modern-day Pro Stock drag racing that has clawed their way to the top of the mountain and stayed there. Those types of things have always been cyclical and always will be. RMS dominated Pro Stock with 4-straight world titles, and even though we lost Lee during the 5th year, up to that point their edge from the previous 4 championship years had obviously been neutralized because I don't even think they were leading the points at the time. Glidden's edge had long since been surpassed when he hung it up, but he didn't quit right away.

Well, Lee was killed just prior to the Gators, but I get your drift.

Yeah, times have changed. The family structure that Warren and Glidden built their operations on can no longer get it done today. Does that mean he should hang it up? Not according to folks like GM Performance Parts and K&N. According to them he still has marketing value even after the drop-off in performance. Can he drive with the best? Not by the numbers. His reaction times may not consistently play with the guys at the top, but make no mistake, he's one of the best (if not the best) "feel" drivers there ever was in Pro Stock. To this day he navigates tricky tracks better than most without the need to abort.

Well, GM can't sponsor racing anymore, sez the new owner;), but, other than that, yeah, I think he has the best car control of any driver out there.
Watching Warren make a pass makes it almost look TOO easy.......

He obviously still enjoys what he's doing, he continues to get marketing support, and oh yeah, he's the winningest Pro Stock driver in the all of drag racing.......................by a bunch. Let's keep bashing him. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sean D

Great post!

REX

Been a WJ (and KJ) fan since Butch Leal left the sport quite some time ago. I've always dug his "do it all in house" ways and innovations (plus he is a family operation) through the years. What has happened in the last couple years that he is hardly able to qualify either of his cars. Is there a specific thing that has come along and caused him to fall behind the Cagnasi (sp), Edwards, Anderson power plants.
Id be willing to guess chassis and or suspension combos...If you look at the speeds the power is still there, the cars just dont have the 60 ft times of Mike and some of the other top runners.

I knew it was early in the season, but I thought they were a little deeper in the year than the Gators. Thanks for the correction, Rex.

Still miss him.........

Sean D

Are the same people calling for Warren to retire, the same people clamoring for Shirley and her pissy attitude to comeback?

I'm no WJ fan, but if he wants to continue to race, he has that right. He may be cranky, but he must still enjoy what he does, or he wouldn't be doing it.

I'd like to see WJ & Shirley team up for a two car team. Can you imagine the post race interviews??? :D

I have always been a WJ fan (my pops especially) and I like his Interviews.

To the people blaming the driver for the crappy performance, here's an idea: Have WJ sit out an event and have someone take over the wheel to see if the car improves. I'm betting other than reaction time it will still have the same performance.

I am not a Warren Johnson fan any more than I am a Greg Anderson or any other ProStock driver fan.
I think there are a couple of things going on here. At times ALL of the good ProStock teams have eventually had times when they were not at the top for various reasons. Look at Greg Anderson, he ruled Prostock for quite a while and now they are not as competitive as they were. Prostock owners are constantly looking for that extra 10-20 HP and some get to it before others.
I would guarantee that Warren has not slowed down on his motor or car work and has probably even moved faster - if that's possible for him. He has always worked 25 hours a day. Probably harder than anyone in Prostock.
One day you have the combination, the next you don't, and sometimes it takes longer than you would like to get it back.
Warren sounds like a grump in his interviews but whether you like it or not he tells it the way he sees it. Right or wrong he says what he thinks. I would rather hear from someone like him than the standard interview where all you hear is how great everything is, etc etc etc.
Warren's budget has certainly taken a hit with GM leaving racing but this is what he does for a living so don't expect to see him go away and don't be surprised when he gets his combination working again.
Don't underestimate Warren!

I am not a Warren Johnson fan any more than I am a Greg Anderson or any other ProStock driver fan.
I think there are a couple of things going on here. At times ALL of the good ProStock teams have eventually had times when they were not at the top for various reasons. Look at Greg Anderson, he ruled Prostock for quite a while and now they are not as competitive as they were. Prostock owners are constantly looking for that extra 10-20 HP and some get to it before others.
I would guarantee that Warren has not slowed down on his motor or car work and has probably even moved faster - if that's possible for him. He has always worked 25 hours a day. Probably harder than anyone in Prostock.
One day you have the combination, the next you don't, and sometimes it takes longer than you would like to get it back.
Warren sounds like a grump in his interviews but whether you like it or not he tells it the way he sees it. Right or wrong he says what he thinks. I would rather hear from someone like him than the standard interview where all you hear is how great everything is, etc etc etc.
Warren's budget has certainly taken a hit with GM leaving racing but this is what he does for a living so don't expect to see him go away and don't be surprised when he gets his combination working again.
Don't underestimate Warren!

Thanks for the support and kind words.

Warren's Mom.:rolleyes:

This is the deal with Warren Johnson..........he came to race:p

8 208 Warren Johnson, Sugar Hill GA, '09 GXP 6.745 204.26 204.26

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back