What is the deal with Warren Johnson? (1 Viewer)

Nemo

Nitro Member
Been a WJ (and KJ) fan since Butch Leal left the sport quite some time ago. I've always dug his "do it all in house" ways and innovations (plus he is a family operation) through the years. What has happened in the last couple years that he is hardly able to qualify either of his cars. Is there a specific thing that has come along and caused him to fall behind the Cagnasi (sp), Edwards, Anderson power plants.

Many teams go through rough spots. I would imagine part of it has to do with not having the budget that they once used too

Been a WJ (and KJ) fan since Butch Leal left the sport quite some time ago. I've always dug his "do it all in house" ways and innovations (plus he is a family operation) through the years. What has happened in the last couple years that he is hardly able to qualify either of his cars. Is there a specific thing that has come along and caused him to fall behind the Cagnasi (sp), Edwards, Anderson power plants.

It looks like a lack of horsepower. Warren is consistently down on MPH. Kurt's car seems to be the stronger piece. It may be similar to Larry's Morgans situation the last several years. Larry only had one motor that would consistently qualify.

It looks like a lack of horsepower. Warren is consistently down on MPH. Kurt's car seems to be the stronger piece. It may be similar to Larry's Morgans situation the last several years. Larry only had one motor that would consistently qualify.

It all starts with Lack of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

They have been having troubles keeping up it seems since they started the DRCE III program.

Dose anybody know what teams are still using the II and what teams are using the III ?

I think I read that Edwards is still using the II.......

I think its time for Warren to retire,very tardy off the line almost all the time,maybe he should tune KJ?

I think its time for Warren to retire,very tardy off the line almost all the time,maybe he should tune KJ?

I've said before,it's WJ's sandbox and he can play as long as he likes. They don't have a HP problem,they have a setup problem. As KJ said,the dyno says it's there,they just can't get it to the ground. As in most lost sponsorships,it certainly hurts from the top to the bottom. They only have 2 guys left from last year with a combined 6-7 years of experience. They hired 2 new guys and 1 didn't last 3 races. These are not excuses just facts and WJ knows they're struggling and they are working hard to correct the situation. Rumor has that Arlene is building engines now on top of weed eating.:p

They have been having troubles keeping up it seems since they started the DRCE III program.

Dose anybody know what teams are still using the II and what teams are using the III ?

I think I read that Edwards is still using the II.......

This is not fact,KJ was in the Countdown in 08 and if it hadn't been for a broken starter in the final @ Charlotte,he might have won the Championship. To answer you question,there are very few teams using the 2 stuff. Some were using the 2 block with 3 heads but they don't make the 2 stuff anymore,so I would think it's almost totally 3 stuff now.

I only hear WJ talk nowadays when he has something to complain about (as the 4 wide comments he had this weekend).

He comes off as a grumpy old __ when he does interviews like that. Maybe he spends so much time getting red in the face at how the fuel cars run the drag racing world that he forgets that tuning a PS car takes your full attention and concentration.

I stopped being a WJ fan a while go and really don't care to hear / see him.

His son KJ though is another story. As far as I see he is OK with me, hope he does well.

Ask any team who was on top, the only place to go is down. The Summit cars aren't dominating now as in earlier years. They have lots of money. Then there is the size of the field. When only fractions of a second separate #1 from #16, it's tough to get in sometimes.

Warren and son can come back anytime. All teams have ups a downs. Look at Force, last year was awful for him. Where is he now?

Don't go bustin' on Warren Johnson! He's the Professor.
Sometimes he reminds me of Cassandra (Greek mythology) who was able to see things others did not, including the future, and whose curse it was not to be believed. He is often correct.
Sometimes, he's mistaken.
He does strike me as cranky in his comments at times; but, our sport would be greatly diminished were he not in it. When he isn't cranky - most of the time - he is insightful and droll.
Warren Johnson is one of the smartest, toughest competitors we have. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and I've learned a lot from listening to his comments.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

Don't go bustin' on Warren Johnson! He's the Professor.
Sometimes he reminds me of Cassandra (Greek mythology) who was able to see things others did not, including the future, and whose curse it was not to be believed. He is often correct.
Sometimes, he's mistaken.
He does strike me as cranky in his comments at times; but, our sport would be greatly diminished were he not in it. When he isn't cranky - most of the time - he is insightful and droll.
Warren Johnson is one of the smartest, toughest competitors we have. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and I've learned a lot from listening to his comments.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

MY BRAIN HURTS AFTER READING THIS SIR.... :eek: But... you are correct as usual...:cool:

but, our sport would be greatly diminished were he not in it.

Im not the most knowledgeable pro stock person, but from what I've seen that quote would be better read "our sport would be greatly diminished if he were never in it"

On the surface (which is all I can see) he is just a cranky old dude who has a negative outlook on the sport and keeps putting down the sanctioning body that has supported him, givin him a career, and continues to put up money if he could get it together.

How does the sport benefit from his recent comments on this weekends show? Maybe he should bow out before his legacy gets tarnished by his recent actions.

The problem with Warren is KARMA.

He has angered the Gods of Nitro with his harsh words about nitro racers.

As soon as he says; "Hey these nitro cars are actually kind of neat", then his racing fortunes should turn around.

-90% jimmy

Warren Johnson can do whatever he likes so long as he is able to spend HIS money and the NHRA grants him a license.

It's his checkbook. I certainly wouldn't want anyone telling me I couldn't spend my minor income watching my currently lousing football team in Charlottesville each fall. It's what he loves to do!

Besides, are there not racers in the category struggling worse than WJ? Our expectations for him are probably a little high.

Until you visit WJ at his shop, have lunch with him or have a conversation in his trailer or yours you will never understand his passion for Pro Stock. I have done all of the fore mentioned and I understand.

If you look at 1-16 (and higher) on the final points tally for the last 40+ years you’ll see the people that share/shared his same passion. Some did it on their own dime or capabilities 100% and some bought their way there. Either way I don’t care, I respect them all as they are doing it or did it.

There are no arm rests in a Pro Stck Car but there are a lot of them in front of Keyboards. The same holds true for Porting Benches, Flow Benches, Dynos...ect.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back