Wes Cerney Out......What next? (1 Viewer)

Mel, spit it out! What ARE you thinking? That Rahn Tobler may have found his new home?

After his 1st Rd. loss in Seattle and the previous races, I figured things were going South in the Fram camp. Wes Cerny sure seems to have lost his touch or is he just not given enough time?

Not so sure Wes lost his touch.....might just be lack of $$$$$$$$. Plus, seems like that team is not real stable.

Pat

Wes Cerny was "The Man" when he made that Hawaiian Punch FC rotate the Earth at Indy back in '91. Since then I can't think of a car he's tuned finish in the Top 5 in Pts?

He did pretty good with Cruz back in the Interstate Batteries car, but other then that, I think you are right. Very hiit and miss.

wasn't he also with cory and gibbs in the MBNA fueler rite before
both gibbs and MBNA pulled out? think they ran well there too.
was off and on with scotty c. too, but at least he had the coolest
uniform then.

wasn't he also with cory and gibbs in the MBNA fueler rite before
both gibbs and MBNA pulled out? think they ran well there too.

I think you’re right.

I seem to remember the MBNA team bringing out a new chassis and running VERY well near the end of the their last season. Wasn’t that the same year Mike Dunn and Ken Venny came out with the brand new sponsor of the New York Yankees and “tested” the car at a few races at the end of the season? If I remember correctly, Corry Mac and Mike Dunn probably had the strongest running cars at the end of that season….. To bad it was the end of the line for the Gibbs, Mac and Cerney team. I could be off by a year or 2 but I’m pretty sure it was the same year….. It was the end of one team and the beginning of another during the same couple of races.

Not to derail this thread but…… Didn’t Corry buy all of the equipment from Gibbs? (racecar, semi truck, and spare parts) Then he hung on to that stuff for a year or two before getting involved with David Baca…. Did Baca buy that stuff from Corry? Or did they just "use it up" while Corry was driving for Baca (the year before Baca started driving TF himself)

Wes Cerny was "The Man" when he made that Hawaiian Punch FC rotate the Earth at Indy back in '91. Since then I can't think of a car he's tuned finish in the Top 5 in Pts?
In '99 he and TJjr. were flat out kicking ass the last part of the season when TJ took over the wheel of the Interstate Batteries car. He wasn't in the points because he only drove part of the season but while he was drving that car it was the best there was. It was looking great for the upcoming 2000 season and then Interstate quit sponsoring and Tommy was out of a ride.

Dayum, and when I read this, I was certain that our very own "Terry Just ask me, I have the answers Jones" was going to get that call to step up. :rolleyes:

Nah, they don't allow rookie tuners either. :)

If Wes Cherny could not get it done due to lack of money , I cant help but to think what Rahn Tobler will be able to really do without that money either . Rahn has worked with a team that did not hurt for money in the past , and I am very sure that if the Lucas team wanted to fork out the bucks the money would have never been an issue . But maybe with Tony Shortall making the calls and Rahn as just a set of eyes maybe it could work . Cory is the most deserving of getting a ride that will sort it self out for the chase at this point . Still bummed that others are slipping behind but maybe Cory will recover before its too late .

Man these fuel crew chiefs must have to grow some thick skin from all the firing going on. Wes has been on the chopping block a few times. Hope he lands on his feet. Maybe go to ol Dougzilla's Don't remember if he has worked over there or not. Doug needs help in the next few races.

I think Wes may have worked on Herbert's car the second half of 2003 after he was let go from DSR. If he was at Herbert's it wasn't long because Herbert had the Ace as his crew chief in 04.

If I'm not mistaken Wes has worked for Cory Mac, Cruz, and Herbert but was with Cruz and Cory the most I think. It was like he was bouncing back and forth between all of them for a while. I am sure he will land somewhere. If every run was the Fri night one then Cory Mac would of been competitive b/c they normally did pretty well then.

If Wes Cherny could not get it done due to lack of money , I cant help but to think what Rahn Tobler will be able to really do without that money either . Rahn has worked with a team that did not hurt for money in the past , and I am very sure that if the Lucas team wanted to fork out the bucks the money would have never been an issue .

Do you remember a lady named Shirley?

Towards the end of her career she didn't have a lot of $$$ but Rahn always got it down there.

Can`t say this surprised me, I spent a lot of time in the Fram pit this weekend and this is just one of several things that may or may not go down with that team. Personally, I think giving Tony Shortall a shot at tuning that car is a good thing, can`t do much worse than what they`ve been doing. Really sucks for Cory because he, Gary, Tony, Vendalay and the guys deserve a lot better than what they`ve had to deal with lately (and I aint talking about the lack of on the track success), believe me they are running on a friggin shoestring budget right now.

Last edited:
Wes tuned Cory to a 5th place finish in `02 when Cory drove for Henkelman & Baca.
He also tuned the MBNA car that ran so strong at the end of `00, but I can`t remember where they finished in points (outside the top 5 I know that). They won Htown and Ennis only to DNQ at a rain shortened Finals and that ended Corys relationship with Joe Gibbs...crappy way to go out.

the guys deserve a lot better than what they`ve had to deal with lately (and I aint talking about the lack of on the track success), believe me they are running on a friggin shoestring budget right now.

Not that long ago (while still Carrier owned) word is they had a budget of $50K.......a month!! Didn't matter how many races in the month.
At least with this "change" there aren't idiots saying anything will be better:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back