"Waterbed Fred" Miller (1 Viewer)

Thank you for posting Suzie. You're right - he's a great guy. I've talked with him on several occaisions.
True story... about 2 years ago we were in a Macy's in Fort Worth. We walked though the cosmetics area. This was around the time when Strivectin-SD came onboard with Santo Rasparita's car driven by Ben Marshall and they had just sponsored Grubnic's car. We got talking with the 2 Lancomb sales reps... and they actually knew Fred's name and knew about the dragster. They couldn't name the driver but they knew Fred's name. :D

It's amazing when you think about it. During the hayday of the Blue Max they had three crew guys, Dale Emery, Waterbed, Dee Gant, won three world championships in a row, set the national record numerous times and were known for going through multiple motors during eliminations. If there's a crew hall of fame, they should be the first three.

I agree 100%!!!

It was all those pretty women in the Blue Max halter tops that inspired them to work even harder!!! :D

It's amazing when you think about it. During the hayday of the Blue Max they had three crew guys, Dale Emery, Waterbed, Dee Gant, won three world championships in a row, set the national record numerous times and were known for going through multiple motors during eliminations. If there's a crew hall of fame, they should be the first three.

No kidding. Direct quotes from my Max scrapbook. Beadle: "I just couldn't take my foot off the throttle". Crewman: "That was our five-second motor".
Another: "Yep, that's about how long they last". And Joe, the name "Waterbed Fred" came from Dale Emery. Fred tried to patch a small hole in his bed that eventually became big enough to crawl through. Fred ended up using it as a tarp.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back