Vegas 4 Wide-Densham Q4 Run Thrown Out? (1 Viewer)

Professional Fan

Nitro Member
The NHRA ladder for Funny Car shows Densham qualifying as 11 based on his Q4 run. The ladder at Drag Race Central shows him not qualifying. In both cases the notes indicate he ran 4.029 which would be 11th which is what the results at the track showed. Either his run got thrown out and Drag Race Central ladder is right or his run counts which would make the NHRA ladder right. Anyone know what is correct? Makes a difference as if Densham is in, Rupert is out.

The NHRA ladder for Funny Car shows Densham qualifying as 11 based on his Q4 run. The ladder at Drag Race Central shows him not qualifying. In both cases the notes indicate he ran 4.029 which would be 11th which is what the results at the track showed. Either his run got thrown out and Drag Race Central ladder is right or his run counts which would make the NHRA ladder right. Anyone know what is correct? Makes a difference as if Densham is in, Rupert is out.
I noticed that as well. On the Q4 bonus points order it shows no time for Steve. Usually DRC is on top of it so I wonder if they got DQ'd

So I ran into Steve last night on my way out and asked him what happened. So to start off the turn around between Q3 & Q4 was shortened after Q3 was an hour behind schedule due to three separate cleanups earlier in the day. So they were thrashing in the pits, Steve even got suited up and buckled in their pit. From what he explained was in the lanes a cable or tie for the chutes broke so they had to come up with a way to fix it quick, it was why they were late to pull up. They fixed it in front of two officials who said nothing and let him make the run. He runs his 4.02 and is in the show however about an hour later I guess an official came to their pit and said the run was DQd for a safety violation.

I think it sucks the fact that nothing was said to them before the run even though Steve said two officials saw them make the repair and spend the money/parts making the run only for it to be thrown out later. Not to mention the fact they lost qualifying money for making the show and the opportunity to maybe go a round today.

Just a knee-jerk reaction here from me, but that does seem pretty harsh, under the circumstances. How about letting the run stand, but with a warning perhaps? Gary's been racing for eons, and he would not want his son to go if he didn't think the car was safe. Plus Vegas has a long shut down area if I'm not mistaken. That deal would be tough on any team, but especially an independent with no funding to speak of.

It's BS, How can a repair that was observed by two officals be safe enough to let the car run. But during and after when everything worked they come up and say that's unsafe and toss the run.

It's BS, How can a repair that was observed by two officals be safe enough to let the car run. But during and after when everything worked they come up and say that's unsafe and toss the run.
Wondering if another team made a commnet about it???

If it was a true safety issue that was known beforehand, then the car should have never gone down the track. Since the run was made, safely, the penalty is too harsh and/or not necessary. Just my $0.02.

There are 2 sides to every story (sometimes 3). I think NHRA owes the public an explanation about why they decided to throw out Densham.

Anyone on this site have any contacts within the NHRA? Inquiring minds want to know.

Who were the two officials and were they qualified to know what they were looking at being repaired?

Exactly what I was thinking,was it an official in the staging lanes that tells drivers what lane they are in, was it the guy with the water hose that sprays the burnout box?

I wish I had saved my recording of the race. Tony Pedregon addressed the situation. I don't recall exactly what he said, but I do remember thinking the way he described the issue made it sound way more serious than it apparently actually was.

Was the parachute system completely disabled (i.e., chutes couldn't be deployed at all) or just disconnected from the shutoff controller system?

Disabled parachute system? He had his chute fully blossom on the Q4 run. Unless somehow they bypassed the leahy system and that is what they mean. His chute did come out and fully blossom on the Q4 run so it was working. In Q2, I think, his chutes did come out at half track but I dont know if that was a coincidence or not. I would be shocked if Gary, Greg Amaral or anyone on that crew would do anything to put Steve or the car in the slightest bit of danger.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back