UPS Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Car & Driver reports that a partnership between UPS, Eaton, Navistar and the EPA has produced a 5.5 ton truck powered by two 330 hp hydraulic motors that yields a 50% increase in mileage and recovers 70% of the braking energy!
The 170 hp diesel engine creates 5000 psi stored in carbon fiber tanks that energize the motors. No batteries to replace, no problems with generating or fueling with hydrogen. If the trucks go into production, they are projected to cost only $7000 more than a current Big Brown truck.
I've used UPS as a shipper for 20 years and have a huge amount of respect for the company. If this works, it could be a gigantic PR coup for UPS and a huge benefit to the environment if all 73,500 trucks in the US are converted to this technology.
Kudos to UPS for taking a bold step! - :cool:

I've thought for many years what a shame it is that nearly 80,000 lb semi trucks USE braking energy to maintain their speeds going down hills/mountains and to slow for stops, that there hasn't been a known way to convert that into energy to be reused.

Then again, we were supposed to be flying our cars by now. The way people drive down here, you really want them up there! :D

I'd settle for being able to get into a minivan, type in where I want to go, and wake me up when I get there! People should be sleeping through their rush hours!

I wonder in what part of the truck the 5000 psi tanks will be located and, does carbon fiber degrade over time? I can feel the concussion of a 100 psi truck tire exploding from a good distance away.

I just changed a LEAKING fuel line fitting on my girlfriend's 2000 Neon due to dried out O-rings in it. It's where the rubber line from the engine connects to a metal one at the firewall, ABOVE THE EXHAUST (which is why it was dried out). Some engineer didn't think or care about that one deteriorating, either. I predict you'll those cars burning to the ground due to that one.

I'm thinking they must have pumps connected to the driveline that assist in braking/creating pressure for the tanks?

Last edited:
Guess if it works they can save millions and afford to jump back into the NHRA sponsorship instead of only being the official shipper of the NHRA:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back