Unsportsmanlike conduct. (1 Viewer)

So the premise (according to the article) is that we need this stuff to generate interest? Sorry, there was plenty of drama for everyone without it. Still want to know what would happen to me if I sucker punched someone in the stands. Oh, they can’t kick me out, I’d miss the end of the race!

He didn't get his championship gear until after he lost in the semis. They interviewed him on NHRA TV after he beat Brittany in the 2nd round, he apologized at that time.
You are correct, he apologized to the cameras and what he has left of his fan base but his apology to Cameron in the pits was after he was awarded the championship. Watch the video... he's shaking Cameron's hand with the Medal around his neck...

I was streaming the Bengals game yesterday on my iPad and the stream I was using has a chat section to talk about the game real time. The stream had a couple thousand people and the chat blew up for about an hour about this, someone posted a link to it on Faceboook and people who have never even watched an NHRA race were talking about it. Needless to say little to none was positive and really gave the sport a black eye to those people. People were referencing it to a more redneck version of Nascrap and talking about how they would never watch anything NHRA.

NHRA, ARE YOU LISTENING ???????

I usually like Dragzine's articles but I am going to have to disagree here.

They cite an incident back in 1979 that made NASCAR huge. But here's the kicker.... that's a *huge* reason why NASCAR's attendance and TV viewership is declining. Everyone blames their "car of tomorrow," restrictor plates etc. That whole shtick of a bunch of hilly billies going around in circles 300-400 times and fistfighting when they get into a wreck simply doesn't work for Millenials and Gen-Z'ers (That, and for NASCAR's older fans they don't like that a lot of the new drivers are "spoiled rich kids" from coastal states).

Do we really want our sport being viewed by Millenials and Gen-Z'ers as "a bunch of hilly billies going in a straight line and fistfighting when one doesn't like what went down on the starting line?" I think not!

I don't want our sport to mirror NASCRAP in that fashion.

They cite an incident back in 1979 that made NASCAR huge. But here's the kicker.... that's a *huge* reason why NASCAR's attendance and TV viewership is declining. Everyone blames their "car of tomorrow," restrictor plates etc. That whole shtick of a bunch of hilly billies going around in circles 300-400 times and fistfighting when they get into a wreck simply doesn't work for Millenials and Gen-Z'ers

Old-schooler here who enjoys NASCAR, too....but not because of the wrecks and most certainly not because of the fights. And millenials don't look at NASCAR fans as a bunch of hillbillies going round and round - they look at it with the same indifference as they do everything else that doesn't involve Facebook, Twitter or the latest smartphone. "If there ain't an app, it ain't crap."

Gotta admit, what happened with Torrence/Ferre is rare. Not that disagreements and occasional fisticuffs don't happen, but not often as public as this 'fight' was. It's not going to destroy the NHRA and most people will be fine with Torrence by next February. We live in a short-memory world.

Old-schooler here who enjoys NASCAR, too....but not because of the wrecks and most certainly not because of the fights. And millenials don't look at NASCAR fans as a bunch of hillbillies going round and round - they look at it with the same indifference as they do everything else that doesn't involve Facebook, Twitter or the latest smartphone. "If there ain't an app, it ain't crap."

Nice swipe at younger people. Ok, Boomer. :rolleyes:

And millenials don't look at NASCAR fans as a bunch of hillbillies going round and round - they look at it with the same indifference as they do everything else that doesn't involve Facebook, Twitter or the latest smartphone. "If there ain't an app, it ain't crap.”

Not true, millennials value live experiences. It’s up to sports event promoters to provide that. Look at the way baseball games provide so much interaction for fans and make it about more than just guys swinging a bat at a ball.
I do believe millennials, like any other fans also need to believe that they too could be out there. That’s what we all do when watching sport, right? We dream of what it would be like to be out there. That is why racers like Ferre or Audrey Worm or the Russos are important, because they show the dream is still accessible.
That’s perhaps why there has been so much angst over the incident, because Ferre represented the ‘Everyman’. If fans feel too disconnected from the possibility of participating themselves, it isolates them from the experience.

Not true, millennials value live experiences. It’s up to sports event promoters to provide that. Look at the way baseball games provide so much interaction for fans and make it about more than just guys swinging a bat at a ball.
I do believe millennials, like any other fans also need to believe that they too could be out there. That’s what we all do when watching sport, right? We dream of what it would be like to be out there. That is why racers like Ferre or Audrey Worm or the Russos are important, because they show the dream is still accessible.
That’s perhaps why there has been so much angst over the incident, because Ferre represented the ‘Everyman’. If fans feel too disconnected from the possibility of participating themselves, it isolates them from the experience.
Luke, I'm just curious what does baseball promoters do to give baseball more interaction for fans? I live a couple miles from Anaheim stadium and I have been to 1 game in the past 30 years. Now Monster Supercross is a different story...I'm there for Anaheim 1 and Anaheim 2 every year. :)

Last edited:
Nice swipe at younger people. Ok, Boomer. :rolleyes:

Oh, good grief; lighten up. It wasn't a swipe at young people; it's the absolute truth and a clear indication that times and tastes have changed...but to be clear, perhaps I should have clarified my statement with "many", "a number of", "quite a few", whatever, rather than leaving the impression of "All". I'm aware there are plenty new-gens out there, especially those who grew up in a racing family, who are keenly interested in drag racing. But if you don't believe the majority of the younger generation is far more interested in social media, social justice issues and smartphones than they are cars in general and race cars in particular, you need to get out more.

And my point stands. NASCAR isn't an organization based upon redneck hillbillies going in circles and fighting in the pits, causing millennials to abandon it in droves.

When Steve was interviewed after the first round (before the incident with Cameron) he said something briefly about having to bury a young boy. Did some looking and found this on Facebook. While it doesn't excuse what he did, but with the way he can be emotional this was surely on his mind.
Capture3.JPG

Saw this on Facebook. Racers will get it.

View attachment 5654
Now THAT is funny as hell! However I don't think that is what put Steve over the edge. After Steve shook hands with Cameron, Cameron laughed at him and What did he say? I raced in the real old days in the top classes and had a guy who swung and missed me just because I beat him. I managed to calm him down, I didn't want to fight anyone, I just wanted to race.

Statement of Action Against Participant​
The following action has been taken against Steve Torrence regarding an incident that occurred during the Auto Club NHRA Finals at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona on November 17, 2019 regarding an altercation with a fellow competitor. Torrence publicly apologized for his conduct at the season-end awards ceremony on November 18, 2019. Torrence has been fined twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) and must complete anger management sessions. The fine will be dedicated to enhancing the capabilities of the Safety Safari. The action is appealable.

$25,000! That's probably pocket change to the Torrences.
Anger management! I hope noone interups him if the has to answer a question in class.
I am glad to see it going to the Safety Safari.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back