Top Fuel Harleys at Bristol (1 Viewer)

julianshog

Nitro Member
I was just wondering what the racers and fans on Nitromater thought of the Top Fuel Harleys at Bristol. They showed a couple of runs on TV just before commercial breaks. Do you think they will ever be a part of the Pro NHRA?

I love them! However I don't think it will be a class. They didn't run very well in Bristol either, a lot of real crappy runs.

Still a thrill to watch though.:)

I think the Fuel bikes are kick-arse, but they are kind of like the fuel altereds of the 60's & 70s, real unpredictable with many aborted runs. Wild machines nonetheless!

A few years back they ran them at Dallas, and about 10-11 showed up. That was a good show, but they are Very inconsistant, 6.40's one pass, 7.50 the next.

Yea - there was one qualifying session (when the 6.31 was set for #1 position) where about 6 riders went full track. Other than that - it was 1 here, 1 there.

But man, whenever 1 did hook up, it was awesome!
1,000 wheel stands are unreal! Their only steering for most of the track was their leaning ability. I talked to the guys for a couple of the teams back in the pits and they were super nice. Said they couldn't dyno (just like the rest of the dragsters) but they theoretically have about 1800hp.

I don't mean it as any disrespect to any PSM riders or fans, but these things are my favorite drag bikes. I would love to see a full 16 field of TFH. THAT would be a show.

I liked it when Dennis asked "How many of you would like to ride one of those things?" And the crowd went crazy.

Then he asked - "How many of you think those people are liars?" - and that's when I raised my hand. :D

DLB

Wasn't all that impressed. They broke right off the starting line more than
they made it down the track........typical Harley fashion.

Dalton... More like 800 hp. The 5.80 sec blown fours are about 1200.

When the front wheel is up they steer by pushing on the rear foot pegs. There used to be a great article on one of the bike sites, about how this was done.

Jay

Dale and Samuel;
The fuel bikes are not Harleys® They are V-Twins, but not even close to Harley® design.

Jay

Weren't fuel bikes running mid 5's a few years ago? Unless I am mistaken of course, but why do I only see times of low 6's?

I think that's why they have been on the TV show when going to commercial break... to gage interest...

Weren't fuel bikes running mid 5's a few years ago? Unless I am mistaken of course, but why do I only see times of low 6's?

The Jap Fuel bikes run in the 5.8-6.0 range when on song. One of McBride's bikes is the quickest with a mid-high 5.80.

The quickest I have heard a Nitro Harley run is around 6.30.

That footage leading/following one of the ad breaks was the highlight of the show in my opinion!! LOVED IT!!!

Dalton... More like 800 hp. The 5.80 sec blown fours are about 1200.

When the front wheel is up they steer by pushing on the rear foot pegs. There used to be a great article on one of the bike sites, about how this was done.

Jay

Jay I talked to Larry McBride a few years back when they had run that 5.89 at Houston. He said around 1,000 HP. Boris Murray who was a Huge Triumph Dragbike racer back in the 60's-70's lives here in Albuq. He was telling me that anything close to a Harley design/case couldn't handle Nitro anything!

The bikes you are seeing now at NHRA events are the V-Twin fuelers. They are about 200 cubic inches and are unblown. A good one runs 6.30s

The blown fours like Larry McBride's run at AMA Prostar all motorcycle events and run from 5.80 to low 6's.

One of the big problems with Nitro Harley is the selection process, so there is never enough quality bikes in attendance (the teams are out there). In addition to that, the NHRA budget for the class offers no incentive for competitive growth. At the end of the day, if NHRA put more in, the fields would dramatically improve, as the base of competitive teams would increase.

If NHRA stepped up to a reasonable level, I'd have a team myself.

Nice cheap shot at Harley right there. I for one like hearing a Harley over a rice rocket any day.

Oh dear,

Dude 'rice rocket'? racism is not cool dude.

Man shame you never probably saw Elmer Trett's bike go down the strip at night... or caught Larry Mcbride and Jim Brantley running 5's or Roel Koedams bike run low 6.0's, or the awesome piece that is Jay Upton's fuel bike...

Man get a clue!!!!

The Jap Fuel bikes run in the 5.8-6.0 range when on song. One of McBride's bikes is the quickest with a mid-high 5.80.

The quickest I have heard a Nitro Harley run is around 6.30.

That footage leading/following one of the ad breaks was the highlight of the show in my opinion!! LOVED IT!!!

Jim Brantley ran a 5.80flat last season, that bike is now heading over to my old home.... good ol perth buddy

Jay I talked to Larry McBride a few years back when they had run that 5.89 at Houston. He said around 1,000 HP. Boris Murray who was a Huge Triumph Dragbike racer back in the 60's-70's lives here in Albuq. He was telling me that anything close to a Harley design/case couldn't handle Nitro anything!
I was at HRP when McBride made the first ever pass in the 5's. It took my breath away! I don't think the front wheel hit the racing surface until past 1100 feet. If I remember right, he dedicated the pass to the memory of Elmer. Also, if I remember right, Elmer's daughter was Larry's tuner at the time.

The only time I ever saw Elmer go down the track, it was his last!:(

His Daughter is now married to Tony Lang who No longer races(?) I think there have been a couple of Fuel Harleys or V-Twins run in the 6.20's but that's as fast as I ever read anywhere. It's the RPM's or lack of that are a disadvantage to the V-Twin's, they don't turn any! Doug Vancil who is from Albuq. told me he only turns maybe 5,200-5,500 RPM Tops! McBride I bet turns 9,000+, there's your advantage.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back