Tony Shoe's Race wins- Bad for the Sport? (1 Viewer)

Did not mean to come across that harsh, so if 10,000 fans pray for Force to win and 10,001 pray for Capps .... then Capps will win ?
You should hear what people at track say about Tony.
Just hand him the trophy and be done with it.

NASCAR has frequently had drivers dominate for a season or two - including this year by Kyle Busch. Since NASCAR is still the top dog in the sport of auto racing (at least in the US) I would say that it hasn't been hurt when one team dominates. But the nice thing about drag racing is that if a team you don't like is dominating in one class, a driver you do pull for might be doing great in another class. Because I am not a big fan of the Schumacher team I tend to focus on the funny car and pro stock classes. But even at that, I still appreciate what an awesome job Tony does race after race and shake my head in amazement of how talented that team really is.

Did not mean to come across that harsh, so if 10,000 fans pray for Force to win and 10,001 pray for Capps .... then Capps will win ?
You should hear what people at track say about Tony.
Just hand him the trophy and be done with it.

(Did not mean to come across that harsh) Yeah, the power of the internet huh. Regarding praying, etc. Religion, Politics, and wages, not going there. So the Army team is stellar, good for them, it's their time. When another team beats them it is that much sweeter. Beard and team are looking mighty good with their rookie driver too.

Guys
I am not a butt kisser. I really do not have favorites. If I did it would have to be Larry Dixon because I have known him since I was 10 years old. Since my Dad died and I became a Christian I have wanted to point people to the only one who can give us peace.

With that said. I have known Tony in that context. He has wanted to learn the Bible. He has nothing to gain by putting on some fake interest. As a Pastor I have learned to spot fakes. Tony is not one. His sole reason for wanting to get closer to the Lord was so he could be a better husband and Dad. He already won enough races. He was not using the Lord to win.

I remember before I got to know him being influenced by some opinions that were based on heresay and outward things. I watched him close . I saw him have a good attitude whether he won or lost. I have seen him take time and give his whole attention to a little kid , an old lady. Anyone who would stop him. This would be after a day of hundreds just hounding him. He kept a good attitude every time. I do not know if I could. His reason; he is so thankful to be able to do what he does. He knows more than any that it is Alan Johnson, His Dad's ownership and an awesome sponsor the Army. He just tries to go out and do his job, Do you know why? He does not want to let down his crew.

I think the persona with the flat top and the whole "Sarge" image that makes him seem arrogant. It is all part of presenting a product for his sponsor who love him. He is a great representative for them. His persona is what got this sponsorship. He had heard it may not go through so he shaved his head and put on army fatigues and went to a meeting with some generals. They stood up and said where do we sign? He is no dummy. He knows the game. It is just an image though. His favorite movie is " Evita", if that does not go against the whole Sarge image what does? He can quote every line of that movie. I have watched him with my kids. Has treated them like kings. He has sat down for an hour playing guitar with my son. He has let me and my daughter stay with him in his motorhome at Richmond when we were stuck in a rainout . He actually let us stay with him the whole weekend.
He has nothing to gain by being nice to me. I have brought people from the Church I am a Pastor of and he has welcomed them and given them his whole attention.

As a Pastor I have had people get an attitude toward me based on impressions from a distance. It hurts, thankfully I have had 100 people defend me for everyone with an attitude. It bothers me to hear these attitudes by people who really do not know him. I have nothing to gain by writitng this. I just cannot read the attitudes and say nothing.

He is not perfect. He is human. I have actually heard him say he was happy watching when someone else won.

For those who think he is a silver spoon you are as wrong as you can be. He actually had a very difficult life growing up. I cannot say details. I will leave it up to him to say. People who have had it all handed to them have no sense of appreciation and expect everything. When you have had hardship you become very thankful. He is very thankful. Can he help it if he wins? What should he do sit out a few races? I actually told him he looked tired and with the lead he has I would fill in for him a few races. I don't think his Dad or Army would like that.

For those who have an attitdue toward him I would love to just take you up to him in his hospitalty area and say; "Tony this guy would like to talk to you" you would be suprised by how you would be treated.

We can have teams we like . We can root for an underdog against the top car but there is no reason for something bordering on hatred.

This post started with a question. Has his winning hurt the sport. No way.

Drag Racing needs more guys with a professional image to escape its hillybilly past. To this day I cannot get my wife to go to a race because she says it is a bunch of hicks. John Force owning Funny Car and Tony owning Top Fuel has actually brought attemtion to the sport in a great way because they are great P.R. guys.

I was able to be at the awards ceremony when Tony won the motorsports writers award for the top motorsports driver for 2006. I sat through many speakers from the other motorsports; NASCAR, Indy, Cart, Sprint cars, Formula 1. Every speaker was completely boring and put everyone to sleep. The only two who could speak, keep the attention of the crowd and have them in the palm of their hand was John Force and Tony Schumacher.

I was glad to see this sport represented so well. If this sport is to go to the next level it will be on the backs of guys like this. There are others. ( I do not want to name any because if I forget someone they might be offended).

I am serious about having any critics meet him. Let me know and I will introduce you to him.
e-mail me go to this website

Calvary Chapel Cleveland Online - Beta v.1

there is a cool Drag Racing page on it.

( by the way Tony paid me big bucks to write this) ;)

mike

bottom line that if alan johnson is with dsr for 10 more years- they will win 10 more championships. a.j is the man period. unfortunaly it looks like tony shumacher will never loose another round now that its @ 1,000 ft. :mad: hey im not a dsr fan so im miserable watching top fuel now, but im a huge greg anderson fan and i love when he dominates, its just human nature, we all have favorites. same with force, i wish hed win every race. love em or hate em. at least we are all passonite about our sport.

The 1000 ft. rule is perfect for certain setups. Which is why Coil and AJ. are not unhappy about it. If they had a tune-up that won by a top end charge, than they would be scrambling. With the speeds still way over 300 , its not much safer. I once saw Capps spend about 10 min. with a badly disabled young man in a wheelchair, signing stacks of photos, he spent much more time than most would. The young man was very happy that day, smiling as he wheeled away. I walked over to Ron to say that was very nice of you to do all that.
He said " Thats what its all about, making someones day,even better than winning " For that reason alone I am a Capps fan

Never count on anything when it comes to drag racing. Teams that had the field in a deathgrip have lost the combination toward the end of the season. Plus, you never know, NHRA could always throw in a last minute rule change. NASCAR is not above that practice when they think one team is getting too dominant

I must be missing something. It sounds like if you don't like Tony Schumacher you are the worst person in the world. Some people say he is a wonderful person who loves his family and wants to be the best at what he does. Who here doesn't love their family and want to be the best at what they do? If Tony is so great, why are there so many people who dislike him? Why is it wrong to dislike him? This is a free country and it is your right as an American to like and not like anybody you damn well please. I have a good friend who is a multi-time Top Fuel World Champion and while this legend has thousands and thousands of fans, there are people that post here that do not like her. Are these people wrong for having this opinion? No. Does it anger me that some don't like her? No. So what the hell is the big deal if you don't like Tony Schumacher? Why is everybody so touchy about this? I have read all these posts supporting him and I have yet to see anything that tells how he makes Drag Racing better.

Dave

BTW Dennis, I didn't see anything wrong with your post that put everybody's shorts in knots.

different strokes for different folks....I guess I just get a little uncomfortable when religion is brought up in topics...sorta like it should be in the Politics/Religion room of its own..some of the responses were like sitting in the pew on a Sunday morn'....not saying that's a bad thing....just saying.

different strokes for different folks....I guess I just get a little uncomfortable when religion is brought up in topics...sorta like it should be in the Politics/Religion room of its own..some of the responses were like sitting in the pew on a Sunday morn'....not saying that's a bad thing....just saying.

In this case it had a direct connection to Drag Racing. Can't always be seperate.

Mike

If Obama wins the election I'm sure he will demand "change" with who wins the races. Just like he wants to penalize the rich, maybe he will make it impossible for Tony to win anymore races.

Gots to share!:D

I must be missing something. It sounds like if you don't like Tony Schumacher you are the worst person in the world. Some people say he is a wonderful person who loves his family and wants to be the best at what he does. Who here doesn't love their family and want to be the best at what they do? If Tony is so great, why are there so many people who dislike him? Why is it wrong to dislike him? This is a free country and it is your right as an American to like and not like anybody you damn well please. I have a good friend who is a multi-time Top Fuel World Champion and while this legend has thousands and thousands of fans, there are people that post here that do not like her. Are these people wrong for having this opinion? No. Does it anger me that some don't like her? No. So what the hell is the big deal if you don't like Tony Schumacher? Why is everybody so touchy about this? I have read all these posts supporting him and I have yet to see anything that tells how he makes Drag Racing better.

Dave

BTW Dennis, I didn't see anything wrong with your post that put everybody's shorts in knots.

Dave , I belive your friend and my good friend are the same person. And you know how she feels about several people in the sport. And she could not care less what anyone thinks about her. She unlike the current crop of primadonnas did not walk into million dollar deals. Back then if you did not win, you did not eat.

And if you don't think she has a "dark side", you really are not paying attention...................:D sorry could not resist

The 1000 ft. rule is perfect for certain setups. Which is why Coil and AJ. are not unhappy about it. If they had a tune-up that won by a top end charge, than they would be scrambling. With the speeds still way over 300 , its not much safer. I once saw Capps spend about 10 min. with a badly disabled young man in a wheelchair, signing stacks of photos, he spent much more time than most would. The young man was very happy that day, smiling as he wheeled away. I walked over to Ron to say that was very nice of you to do all that.
He said " Thats what its all about, making someones day,even better than winning " For that reason alone I am a Capps fan

Coil I agree but you have got to be kidding me with AJ. What does he have about 100 runs over 330???????????

Coil I agree but you have got to be kidding me with AJ. What does he have about 100 runs over 330???????????

And so far at 1000ft. he has done ok. Remember when no one could break 300 mph. he has done 318 many times at 1000 ft. AJ has said 330 was possible at 1000 ft. Coil seemed to hit the mark at 1100 or so. So not hard for him to adjust. AJ seems able to adjust to anything. What to bet he is in final.

Great for the Sport . I remember when many FC guys went to TF. Prudhomme Besrnstein ect. It left Force with an easier time. FC seemed to get very weak with less cars. Then as Force dominated many went back to try and knock him down. DSR went after him and look what happenend with Scelzi a few years ago after how many in a row? That is why Funny Car seems more competitive right now. Today TF has one car dominating. Just watch , at some point the right people are going to put all they have to beat them.

As far as 1000' A.J. has always been the best well before 1000'

How was that holeshot in the semi's ? Tony is a machine.
He had reaction times of .067, .064, .067 which the best all day except Morgan Lucas had a .029 first round

Then Tony had a .089 for the final which was better than average all day

mike

Last edited:
How was that holeshot in the semi's ? Tony is a machine.
He had reaction times of .067, .064, .067 which the best all day except Morgan Lucas had a .029 first round

Then Tony had a .089 for the final which was better than average all day

mike
Don't post stuff like that, nor bring it to anyone's attention. It only points out that Alan Johnson is prone to losing a round without a monkey sitting behind the wheel. Thank You.

(By the way, did you see AJ breath rather heavy after that round that Tony got the holeshot win? He isn't stupid...he gets it, it takes a good driver too. It's just that most people here don't).

DLB

Whoever gets to the line first wins! I don't care if they do it 23 races in a row. They've earned it and it's up to the rest of the field to better them. It's NOT up to some sanctioning body (not mentioning any names..uh...NASCAR...) to ever legislate competition.

Don't post stuff like that, nor bring it to anyone's attention. It only points out that Alan Johnson is prone to losing a round without a monkey sitting behind the wheel. Thank You.

(By the way, did you see AJ breath rather heavy after that round that Tony got the holeshot win? He isn't stupid...he gets it, it takes a good driver too. It's just that most people here don't).

DLB
Ask Terry Jones, Dalton..anybody can drive these cars with a tuner like that..hehe.

I don't know why people continue to doubt Tony's ability to drive. Remember he won a championship without Alan Johnson.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back