Tony Pedregon's New Toyota (1 Viewer)

What is the big deal with these ricer bodies? Are they really that slippery? Just wish that the American mfrs can produce something good other than the Mustang body. :(

Here's something for you, a large number of Japanese cars are built and marketed only in the US: Toyota Tundra, Honda Ridgeline, USDM Honda Accord, Scion tC, current generation Scion xB (now imported to Japan as a Toyota Rumion) , Toyota FJ cruiser... Just keep in mind a lot of "American" cars and parts are built in Canada and Mexico. Most of the "Japanese" cars in the states are built in the states, for the states by Americans. Oh yeah in a weird way Toyota has already been in NHRA pro stock because the last Chevy Cavalier that ran in pro stock was sold here as a Toyota Cavalier.

S/F
D

I understand the "funny car" monicker, but I'd like to see a return to the closer to stock sized windshields instead of the common drivers "bubble" on today's FC's. Personally my favorites were the 70's - 80's FC's with the wheel bubbles etc.

I know I am alone on this, but I was always partial to the mid 80's Firenza bodies....squared off, hardly aero-looking, pre-batmobile craze....kind of said "go ahead, I dare you to make me go wicked fast".....like flying a brick

The "ricer" comment makes you look like a racist. How about "thank you" Toyota for stepping up and providing support to the racers rather than making a comment about people from a particular country.

"Ricer" is the typical name hot rodders came up for any import car, there are no racist undertones behind it. Actually it can also be applied to those kids who think that by putting a fart can on a back of their Civic DX they have a fast car... but I'm splitting hairs here LOL.

And the thank you stuff - I'll thank who I want to thank for supporting the drivers. I'm not getting all a$$-kisser like so many people here. :rolleyes:

Not that it's so much the wrong view to have, it's more that most people just keep it to themselves.

I like to say that I have the courage to speak my mind and call it as I see it, even if it ruffles a few feathers.

Oh, and FYI: The car I drive right now can be considered rice. Korean rice. :D Built in Alabama. :eek:

Last edited:
for me it was the Mustang II bodies...they were so wrong, yet SO right...

Here is the new Beartown Shaker Nostalgia car.

BTS-4-28-12-2.jpg

008.jpg

I know I am alone on this, but I was always partial to the mid 80's Firenza bodies....squared off, hardly aero-looking, pre-batmobile craze....kind of said "go ahead, I dare you to make me go wicked fast".....like flying a brick

I always liked them also. Ace ran the first one built.

10549aa1116e58ac.jpg

Here is the new Beartown Shaker Nostalgia car.

now that is a great looking car!
now I just need the pits full of hippie girls in halter tops, chokers and bell bottoms and I am in heaven!

I saw somewhere that Mike Sullivan was making a race-legal version/remake of his blue and white Fiat....short wheelbase (not a transformer AA/FA) anyone got info or photos of that?

I always liked them also. Ace ran the first one built.

10549aa1116e58ac.jpg

that's what I'm talking about! I became hooked with it when it was painted in red/white Miller colors...standing next to it, I remember it being one of the lowest FC's I ever stood next to (but then Grose came out with the "sneaker" car)....still looks cool to me....probably Arrows from the late 70's is my other "square-ish" looking car fav.....great photo, thanks for posting it!

Here's something for you, a large number of Japanese cars are built and marketed only in the US: Toyota Tundra, Honda Ridgeline, USDM Honda Accord, Scion tC, current generation Scion xB (now imported to Japan as a Toyota Rumion) , Toyota FJ cruiser... Just keep in mind a lot of "American" cars and parts are built in Canada and Mexico. Most of the "Japanese" cars in the states are built in the states, for the states by Americans. Oh yeah in a weird way Toyota has already been in NHRA pro stock because the last Chevy Cavalier that ran in pro stock was sold here as a Toyota Cavalier.

S/F
D

If I bit my tongue any longer I'm going to sever it, so here goes.

I get annoyed when I see how effective the Toyota PR spin has been, with the "everyone knows" facts that only tell a small part of the story. While you're being impressed by US cars being sold in Japan, how about quoting the total figure of auto export/import?

Missouri, not too long ago, was the second largest car producing state after Michigan. Lots of people around here lived comfortably, had good houses, nice cars, and sent their kids to college.

The manufacturing plants are only the tip of the iceberg. I wish I had it at hand, but the amount of money generated by the support plants used to be a huge number. We used to have Lear-Siegler seat plants, weatherstrip plants, PPG and Libby glass plants. Across the country, there were thousands of places ranging from the small machine or tool and die shops all the way up to Delco, Prestolite, Goodyear, etc.

When the Asians come in, they bring their own support plants which most often are actually somewhat hidden subsidiaries of the main company. So the profits from those go back to the East, also. I should mention that the governments, especially the Japanese, have heavily subsidized the expansions. They know that more profits rolling back in make for a stronger country.

So that's why you see the big numbers for the "US Content" in these cars.

An interesting site is
The Level Field Institute They look at how many actual jobs are maintained by all of the manufacturers along with a lot of other details that don't carry the Toyota spin.

For instance: MODEL YEAR DOMESTIC CONTENT - 2009
GM - 69
Ford - 67
Chrysler - 60
Hyundai & Kia - 13
Honda - 54
Toyota - 44
Nissan - 30

US JOBS PER 2500 AUTOS PRODUCED
Ford - 89
GM - 78
Chrysler - 92
Honda - 54
Toyota - 51
Nissan - 38
Hyundai/Kia - 26

Apologists will say that just shows the bloat in US car makers. Nope, that's the R&D facilities, finance arms, and everything that goes into running a huge corporation. Remember those jobs represent people who are spending money at whatever it is your company does. The more there are, the more taxes they pay, the more goods they buy, the houses they buy or built, etc.

As I remember, the term is "kaizen". It's the concept that businesses should be intricately dependent on each other.

You don't even have to open a hood or crawl under a car to see this in action. The next time you see a new Asian car, check out the tire manufacturer. 99% of the time, they will be Bridgestones. That's a Japanese company and the government's designated supplier.

Don't tell me about the cost of shipping tires when I see the Korean cars which are built here - they often have Hankooks or other Korean brands.

Note that I'm not being racist. Taking care of your own is an admirable thing which our government seems to have lost track of.

You can't buy American! PERIOD!!

There is a world economy that drive the decisions of American Business that says: "Profit for the stockholder, Jobs for whoever will do them at the lowest price"

That's what Big Business does!

I just love it when my friends on the far right go on about getting back to core values and then don't want any interference with Big Oil, Big Finance, and Big Manufacturing. Government subsidies are bad, but sending jobs off shore is good!

BTW: "kaizen" is the Japanese term for what Demmings was trying to promote to American Industry in the 50's and 60's. They basically rejected the concept that most of Japan embraced!

Kaizen: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies!

It is a great looking race car though!:D

He qualified 14th: 72 Tony Pedregon, Brownsburg IN, '12 Camry 4.198 301.20

DG

Last edited:
If I bit my tongue any longer I'm going to sever it, so here goes.

I get annoyed when I see how effective the Toyota PR spin has been, with the "everyone knows" facts that only tell a small part of the story. While you're being impressed by US cars being sold in Japan, how about quoting the total figure of auto export/import?

Missouri, not too long ago, was the second largest car producing state after Michigan. Lots of people around here lived comfortably, had good houses, nice cars, and sent their kids to college.

The manufacturing plants are only the tip of the iceberg. I wish I had it at hand, but the amount of money generated by the support plants used to be a huge number. We used to have Lear-Siegler seat plants, weatherstrip plants, PPG and Libby glass plants. Across the country, there were thousands of places ranging from the small machine or tool and die shops all the way up to Delco, Prestolite, Goodyear, etc.

When the Asians come in, they bring their own support plants which most often are actually somewhat hidden subsidiaries of the main company. So the profits from those go back to the East, also. I should mention that the governments, especially the Japanese, have heavily subsidized the expansions. They know that more profits rolling back in make for a stronger country.

So that's why you see the big numbers for the "US Content" in these cars.

An interesting site is
The Level Field Institute They look at how many actual jobs are maintained by all of the manufacturers along with a lot of other details that don't carry the Toyota spin.

For instance: MODEL YEAR DOMESTIC CONTENT - 2009
GM - 69
Ford - 67
Chrysler - 60
Hyundai & Kia - 13
Honda - 54
Toyota - 44
Nissan - 30

US JOBS PER 2500 AUTOS PRODUCED
Ford - 89
GM - 78
Chrysler - 92
Honda - 54
Toyota - 51
Nissan - 38
Hyundai/Kia - 26

Apologists will say that just shows the bloat in US car makers. Nope, that's the R&D facilities, finance arms, and everything that goes into running a huge corporation. Remember those jobs represent people who are spending money at whatever it is your company does. The more there are, the more taxes they pay, the more goods they buy, the houses they buy or built, etc.

As I remember, the term is "kaizen". It's the concept that businesses should be intricately dependent on each other.

You don't even have to open a hood or crawl under a car to see this in action. The next time you see a new Asian car, check out the tire manufacturer. 99% of the time, they will be Bridgestones. That's a Japanese company and the government's designated supplier.

Don't tell me about the cost of shipping tires when I see the Korean cars which are built here - they often have Hankooks or other Korean brands.

Note that I'm not being racist. Taking care of your own is an admirable thing which our government seems to have lost track of.
I don't dispute this, most of my original point was lot of the "Japanese" models you're exposed to in the states don't exist here in Japan they're too big and drink too much gas to be practical for the average person here. Your numbers still bear out there are lot of Americans employed building those USDM cars that might otherwise be looking for work if everything were shipped there. Most '90s Hondas here have a big Honda of America badge on the side. Here hybrid aren't a hippie fashion statement, they are a practical car because gas prices.

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back