Tire Questions-Good Year vs. M&H vs. Hoosier (1 Viewer)

You may want to check Section 16, page 6 of the 2012 rulebook. Goodyears are mandatory for Pro Stock.

This must be a fairly recent change, as I remember Max Naylor running Hoosiers for a while and his performance got everyone's attention. Had to have been at least 3 years ago or so?

Wasn't it he or Gaines that qualified #1 at the U.S. Nationals in Hoosier's debut in Pro Stock? As for how they got mandated, I don't know. Wasn't there some technicality about having matching front tires and Hoosier didn't have a front tire suitable for Pro Stock (at least at the time)? I don't remember the details, but I can recall some stories like that swirling around, but I certainly don't KNOW.

Maybe Alan knows???

Sean D

It is NOT mandatory for Pro Stock to run Goodyears ... in recent years WJ experimented with Hoosiers and Billy Glidden did some development for Mickey Thompson tires.

You need to keep current:

TIRES
Restricted to Goodyear-only tires, as specified by NHRA. Clearance
from outside of front tire to inside of fender at closest point not to
exceed 4 inches. Rear clearance 5.5 inches from outside of tire to
inside of fender at widest point. Inner liners permitted. Maximum
height of front tire is 25 inches. See General Regulations 5:1.

You need to keep current:

TIRES
Restricted to Goodyear-only tires, as specified by NHRA. Clearance
from outside of front tire to inside of fender at closest point not to
exceed 4 inches. Rear clearance 5.5 inches from outside of tire to
inside of fender at widest point. Inner liners permitted. Maximum
height of front tire is 25 inches. See General Regulations 5:1.

I had no idea (obviously). Guess I do need to start paying attention. :D

So 270 MPH A/Fuel cars can't run the, but Blown Alky cars like Demke, Whitely can?
I think it is more about the downforce then speed. Look at the difference between an A-Fuel wing and an Alcohol wing. The A-Fuel car has a lot more downforce .

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back