Tire Questions-Good Year vs. M&H vs. Hoosier (1 Viewer)

rckymtn3

Nitro Member
A bunch of questions, just spitballin', so if not interested, just clickity click

I noticed the thread about the Good Year investigation about tire failures and thought about the manufacturers other than Good Year.

I know Marvin & Harry's are used in nostalgia with their skinnier slick sizes available, and also noticed that a good number of Sportsman teams, including TAD/TAFC teams use Hoosiers.

Has there been any tire failures in those two companies (Hoosier/M&H) in Nostalgia or TAD/TAFC classes?

Has there been any feedback from the racers about their performance? (I think if Hoosier is good enough for Manzo, what other stamp of approval is needed performance-wise...but still curious)

Why does Good Year still have a lock on the fuel categories, other than NHRA sanctioned tires for those forces/speeds. Has Hoosier or M&H petitioned NHRA for testing in those categories? I understand not wanting to scare-off a needed classification of tire by challenging a tire-maker, but wondering if they have attempted to break into the fuel ranks.

Not trying to start a sh*t storm....I respect all three manufacturers, and I understand the cubic dollars these companies spend to engineer/test/manufacture their products (which they pass-along to the end-users).

There was a time that M&H went head to head with Good Year, and I think like any racing, much was learned during the competition between the makers, much like F1 did with Michelin and Bridgestone etc.

Goodyear doesn't have a stranglehold on the fuel classes. None of the other tire manufacturers have any interest in the creating a tire for TF or FC because of the huge liability.

Tires are largely a Ford v Chevy v Dodge ordeal. I grew up with parents that owned a large Goodyear franchise, but when we started racing I found the Hoosiers worked best for my particular set up. For years, I've bought the same set of Hoosiers every 50 passes, but alternated with an back of up of either new Mickey's or Goodyears ... for my current chassis Hoosiers work best in the widest variety of situations we encounter (Top Dragster in the mainly hot south).

Spent almost an hour on the phone with a different chassis builder today (about to order a new car), their rep swears by the Mickey's.

It's really whatever tire works best for you. They are all good to great, but none of them are flawless.

I'll have to admit that I have no experience with M&H.

Goodyear doesn't have a stranglehold on the fuel classes. None of the other tire manufacturers have any interest in the creating a tire for TF or FC because of the huge liability.

Try reading the rule book. NHRA mandates that the professional classes must run Good Year tires.

Last edited:
Goodyear is the only company making the massive investment in the technology to build a tire capable of 335 mph and beyond. Is NHRA in bed with them? Probably- but thats one bedmate I wouldn't be kicking out of the sheets for eating crackers... They absolutely build the best product for the extremes of the sport, and are also the most stable to handle liability and R&D for the big boys.

Nothing wrong with Hoosiers, Micky's or Marv's tires, but if you got those guys in a closed room, they would all tell you the same thing: Why make a product that they will absolutely take a financial loss on (like Goodyear does) AND be on the hook for trying to catch up on a 20+ year technology head start from your competition...

Martin is right, when Goodyear developed the big show fuel tires they had to have exclusivity to come even close to breaking even financially. NHRA accomodated them. This is one instance where I am a fan of an exclusive supplier. In theory, everyone should get the same tires, so it should come down to who sets up their car the best to win, as tires should not be a factor.

Tire wars are no good for top level motorsports. I have seen it many times in F1, just a few years ago some teams ran Michelins and some Bridgestones, and at some tracks, only the cars with Michelins had a chance and at others only the teams with Bridgestones had a chance. It made races predictable and frustrating, culminating in the ridiculous 2005 USGP at Indy, when only 6 cars ran the race because Michelin supplied teams couldn't be assured of the tires safety. This year all F1 cars are on Pirellis, and there have been 6 different winners in 6 races from 5 different teams. Sheer awesomeness. Back in the 90s Hoosier got into NASCAR Winston Cup racing, culminating in both manufacturers pushing the limits with many blown tires and wrecked racecars, NASCAR mandated Goodyears tires shortly after that.

If Hoosier or M+H got into Big Show fuel tires, we would see much of the same thing, where some teams would have no shot when they pulled through the gates simply because of their tires. Or even worse, we may see a manufacturer align itself as the exclusive supplier of 1 team, with no other teams having access to those tires.

The only way another manufacturer could come in would be with fully developed tires, and try to replace Goodyear as the sole supplier. I personally can't see any other manufacturer willing to make that kind of investment for the limited returns they would get.

This is one instance where the NHRA has gotten it right.

Goodyear is the only company making the massive investment in the technology to build a tire capable of 335 mph and beyond. Is NHRA in bed with them? Probably- but thats one bedmate I wouldn't be kicking out of the sheets for eating crackers... They absolutely build the best product for the extremes of the sport, and are also the most stable to handle liability and R&D for the big boys.

Nothing wrong with Hoosiers, Micky's or Marv's tires, but if you got those guys in a closed room, they would all tell you the same thing: Why make a product that they will absolutely take a financial loss on (like Goodyear does) AND be on the hook for trying to catch up on a 20+ year technology head start from your competition...

Ezactly. And for GY's trouble, NHRA has mandated that the professional categories must run GY tires.

Me? I like Hoosiers and they have taken VERY good care of us.

Ezactly. And for GY's trouble, NHRA has mandated that the professional categories must run GY tires.

Me? I like Hoosiers and they have taken VERY good care of us.

Because the Pro catagories get the press. Good or bad. And if its bad, its usually pretty bad... And Goodyear is in a position to deal with bad press, partially because of their long-term association with the Association...

My preference is to Hoosiers as well, but they hook up like bowling balls on some of the tracks we've been at...

Has there been any tire failures in those two companies (Hoosier/M&H) in Nostalgia or TAD/TAFC classes?

Monroe Guest, Englishtown last year, in a TAD running Hoosiers. Related to the recall noted in Alan's post.

FWIW, we run and love Hoosiers. The tires and the support have been great.

I am sure if others wanted in, there would be business in IHRA as well as overseas.

NHRA did the same deal with nitro to keep their supplier from bailing out. However, non big show fuel racers buy their nitro wherever they want.

It is NOT mandatory for Pro Stock to run Goodyears ... in recent years WJ experimented with Hoosiers and Billy Glidden did some development for Mickey Thompson tires.

You may want to check Section 16, page 6 of the 2012 rulebook. Goodyears are mandatory for Pro Stock.

This must be a fairly recent change, as I remember Max Naylor running Hoosiers for a while and his performance got everyone's attention. Had to have been at least 3 years ago or so?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back