Time to Count (1 Viewer)

I do not like this new Championship format. That said, I'm trying to be patient and see how it plays out this year. However, I'm sick to death of being beat over the head with the "countdown". It's already tiresome. Imagine how sickening it's going to be by the end of the season!

I love that neither WJ nor Force like the new format.

look in the fan guide for next year...i betcha countdown will be in the glossary...

i have to say i like the format. i'm thinking of the future with HD's marketing power, combined with the drama of the countdown...NHRA could have big things in store for them in the future

I have no idea how many times they said it. I didn't even bother watching this week, I'm tired of it being Forced down our throats. To bad too because this year could have been exciting with Force charing from 18th or 20th to a possible first. Knowing that he is going to be given points to help catch up, 2 times, just take any meaning out of it

I'm at peace with it.... finally. But, you're right. From here on out the headlines are pretty much either going to be John & Ashley, or this friggin countdown. Yesterday even some of the racers are talking like it's Armagedon in 3 races.... Melanie Troxel said "there's only 3 races left".
You mean to tell me the drivers seated #9 through #25 aren't going to race after Indy? That's the impression ESPN2 is giving. Personally, I hope some of these cars who are not in the top 8 rise to the challenge and steal some Wally's right out from under some people's noses come Dallas or somewhere down the schedule. There's alot of well-funded drivers who are still after thier first Wally, and they sure as hell aren't going to stop trying to earn it in 3 weeks.

I love that neither WJ nor Force like the new format.

I believe Force has warmed up the the countdown, and that is not because it will now help him... I think he started liking it before the season even started but I remember hearing from a reliable source at the Gators he already liked it...

CJ Curtsinger

I'm "NOT" predicting or wishing this.. however I do think it could be possible to "some small extent"...
We all know that a car with a major sponsor will run all the rest of the races to give his sponsor as much exposure as possible... "However" What would happen (or NHRA) do if they started to have "short fields" in TF & FC as it is NOW I have seen races with only 17 or 18 cars trying to qualify for the 16 spots on Sunday... so if you take out 2 or 3 low buck $$ teams or independents.. they will be running with short fields..

Of course this wont stop the race.. however it sure could have an effect on Sunday if the #1 qualifier gets a bye run in 1st round... or even the top 2 cars... especially if the guy in 1st place qualified 3rd or 4th ... just a thought????:confused:

The countdown won't affect the field sizes - the situation for the independent teams that don't make the top eight is no different than it was last year - by now, they were so far out of first place they had no chance to run for the championship and probably not even the top ten. Why did they keep showing up last year? For the same reason they will continue to show up this year. Because they want to race and if they can knock off one of the contending teams that will make their season a little sweeter.

I personally don't mind the cut to 8 but the cut to 4 is insane, however after saying that there is something I have been thinking about and that is TV coverage of the teams. I feel there is going to be a disproportional (whew!) coverage biased toward the runners in the top 8/4 and a vary small coverage to those not in the chase.....oops countdown.

Granted we are seeing slanted coverage now toward certian teams and or drivers but I can see this is an opportunity to get really out of hand. Now if that comes true, what are the sponsors going to say??

Normally I probably would not think about these things but having the word countdown being heard so often I guess it just gets pounded in.

I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that ESPN gets a bonus based on how many times they can insert the word countdown??? :rolleyes: :p

jim

I personally don't mind the cut to 8 but the cut to 4 is insane, however after saying that there is something I have been thinking about and that is TV coverage of the teams. I feel there is going to be a disproportional (whew!) coverage biased toward the runners in the top 8/4 and a vary small coverage to those not in the chase.....oops countdown.

Jim,

I couldn't agree more. This is something that I've also been concerned about -- even more concerned than people showing up at races, etc (insert other peoples problems with the countdown here).

I just hope that if Tony Bartone wins an entire race at Pomona 2, they still give him the same amount of TV coverage, even if (insert your favorite driver here) wins the championship.

Great post.

I hate to say it but right now I am kinda enjoying the countdown.
And yes, the word is spoken often, much as the 'race to the cup' or whatever they call it in circle car racing is mentioned.

The funny car cut is pretty exciting right now. Kinda like a mid year crunch for several teams. Many of my favs are out of the chase right now, I am having a hard time deciding who I want to win each race as its pivitol. And by race, I dont mean event, each race counts now. I like that

I am not passing judgement yet, I want to see what happens after the first cut. If it stays this exciting then I am all for it. If it becomes an 8 racer coverage situation, then I will lose interest real quick like.

I think a lot of teams that dont make the cut are going to love playing the spoiler role. Like any other professional sport, teams outside of the playoff race find satisfaction in still making a difference.

Do any of you guys watch NFL Football? After week 10 or so how often do you hear the word "Playoff"? "If the Cards want to get in the Palayoffs they must win this game" The Colts have clinched a Playoff spot" The teams that are fighting for the last Wildcard spot get a ton of coverage, not just that the games are shown on TV, but in the highlight shows as well.

If a team has home field wrapped up they just might sit the stars to rest them for the stretch run. But does any team not show up for a game? Of course not. We are a one on one sport. If Jon Capps (Just to pick a name) runs at Indy and goes up against Beckman (just to pick another name) he will get his TV time, because he is the guy who could knock off one of the Countdown drivers.

Melanie Troxel is 466 points out of the lead. Under the old system she would have no chance of winning the title. I know that mathmatically it's possible, but I'm talking realistic chance. She is right now 130 points further back than Schumacher was last year at his lowest point. With the Countdown structure, she is 45 points (just over two rounds) from making the Playoffs. If she can make up that ground on Grubnic, she will have a shot at winning it all. And obviously Grubnic and his team know that they must not give up any points trying to hold on to the last spot. Whoever ends up in the Countdown will race for the Championship, and those that don't will still be there trying to win the Wallys.

Just hold on guys, the sky isn't really falling.

Alan

Alan,

Never said that the sky was falling and I even said that I had no problem with the cut to the 8. My concern was seeing the rest of the field get coverage too once the countdown had started. Since the countdown comes from NASCAR I watched to see if the TV coverage was slanted toward the people in the chase. Sure enough it was that way and from what I understand sponsors were none too happy about it either.

Since we don't have a pure playoff system in effect like the example of the NFL, it is a little bit different. So like I said I don't believe the sky is falling but it might be when they cut down to 4....:eek:

BTW: Allan could you use a brighter shade of red because I am sure there must be some retina left in my eyes. :p

jim

I'm a big John Force fan.. Have been since before he started burning up bodies and seeing Elvis..

BUT!!!

I truly think this COUNTDOWN stuff is really going to suck if John wins the championship only through this charity system. "IF" by the old points system Ron Capps would have finally won a Championship but loses due to the COUNTDOWN.

I can't wait to see the comparison of finishing positions between the two styles of championship.

Great post Alan..............

You guys bitch about how many times we will hear the word Countdown, well how many threads are we going to need to read about hating the Countdown. Okay we get it, most of you don't like the Countdown, same thing, quit forcing it down our throats, or keep it in one thread. There were 3 more threads about it started just last week.

Granted we are seeing slanted coverage now toward certian teams and or drivers but I can see this is an opportunity to get really out of hand. Now if that comes true, what are the sponsors going to say??...........................

jim
Those sponsors that would normally NOT get much coverage are currently getting alot of exposure because their drivers are fighting to get into the Countdown. It is working for the lesser funded teams. Also, during the Countdown, to take out a contender would be one of the best things that could happen to a lesser funded team................they will get alot of exposure when that happens.
i have to say i like the format. i'm thinking of the future with HD's marketing power, combined with the drama of the countdown...NHRA could have big things in store for them in the future
;)

i'm continuing to support it.
the countdown gets the NHRA and it's teams exposure earlier in the season
than in the past.
If I owned the Pro NHRA, I'd see 23 opportunities for at track profit annually, each being as important as the other; naturally there are events
with more history than others, but in no way would i downplay a single
event. the more races within races i could provide to the fans, i would think
the greater chance they will come out and spend their money to watch
NHRA drag racing; and if I can get them in the stands, i'd think the chances
of turning them into a TV fan are much greater; which in turn creates
better ratings, etc.

........and i'd allow 90%; i think the 'cackle' is a selling point in itself.

I wonder if the "playoffs" will get better TV coverage :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ya think that the bosses have bought a ton of tvs and have sent a mandate to all employees to make sure their tv's are on during the races (even when they're not home) just to help the ratings in any way:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back