Thoughts & Prayers for NHRA connecticut members, racers and all! (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
Thoughts & Prayers for NHRA Division One connecticut members, racers and all that may be effected by the tragic accident at a connecticut Power Plant explosion that occured this morning, February 7, 2010 at 1130 EST. This is a breaking story, and those that may be effected could be, but is not limited to:

Sheila Kopchick, Middletown, Conn. (Top Alcohol Dragster), and those operating out of the Rage Fuel Systems in near by, Higganum, CT.

As Well as the friends and family of local NASCAR star Joey Logano of Middletown, CT, and NASCAR racer Jake Marosz, Middletown, Conn..

The Breaking news can be found at CNN.Com, at web page

At least 2 dead in Connecticut power plant explosion - CNN.com

Thoughts and prayers
:(

I'm about 15 miles away and I thought we had an earthquake. So far the news is reporting 2 dead and as many as 250 injured

I'm about 8 miles away-shook our place. I have a friend that works there-talked to him on the phone 1 hour ago. He was there at work till 11:30 last nite. (and this test was supposed to take place yesterday.) From what he said, they were test firing the engines-and were loading propane (natural gas?) a temporary heater somehow ignited everything + blew the skin off the building. He knew the 2 guys known dead. :( But this all just happened a couple of hours ago-so this 2nd hand report is very preliminary.

so what is the status of sheila and mike from RAGE? I didn't see any names in the linked article.

The news articles are now saying 5 confirmed dead and they're still looking for others that might be buried in the rubble. :( I can't imagine something like that happening. I work on a lot of different job sites and I'm always mindful of things that could go wrong to try to keep myself safe. Sadly in an event like this there probably wasn't anything the majority of the workers could have done differently, they were doing there jobs properly when something went horribly wrong.

Hopfully the majority get out ok. I must admit when I heard the news on the radio even though I live in New Zealand my first thought was I hope that plant wasn't nucleur thankfully it wasn't.

All damage was at the site only-just a loud boom for us around the area. Rage is apx. 5 miles away.

I'm probably 30 miles from there and heard the boom and it was loud. It was a BIG explosion. They called off the search early this morning because the area they were searching in was deemed unsafe.

so what is the status of sheila and mike from RAGE? I didn't see any names in the linked article.
Bruce, I live 8 miles from the site ... this plant is up on a mountain along the CT river and is fairly isolated from civilian population. It is virtually undisturbed natural area, except for the plant. That's why that site was chosen ... isolation. I am certain that unless they (or a loved one) worked at this contruction site, anyone associated with NHRA and D1 are OK this morning. Middletown CT is a fairly mountaineous area spread out over a large area (@50 sq. miles) along the CT river with only about 50k people which is not very dense.

Neighbors from over a mile away and across the river did suffer some structural damage to thier homes (mostly blown out windows and foundation cracks). Fortunately, human life outside of all those poor workers was never in jeopardy. They showed 1 home closest to ground zero where the effect of the explosion tried to "suck" the gagrage doors out of the frame. They were literally bowed outward, not forced inward. That's atom bomb like physics. HUGE blast. Could have been MUCH, MUCH worse as during the week over 300 workers are at that construction site, thank God as there would have likely been 10x, or worse, the casualities in that case.

Hard to imagine when you leave for work in the morning, that you may not return home. That's why I kiss my family good-bye every morning. You never know.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back