Thompson Breaks Track Record at Woodburn (1 Viewer)

Clint Thompson triumphantly returned to Woodburn Oregon after a two year absence to break in Woodburn Dragstrip’s new all-concrete track at the Season Opener. Not only did Thompson lay lots of rubber down on the new surface but he broke the track’s ET record for the Top Alcohol Funny Car class. Thompson ripped off a fine 5.61 at 254 MPH to set the new track record.

One of the things about Woodburn that Thompson has been missing are the fans. “Woodburn has the best fans in the Northwest and all weekend people have been welcoming us back” Thompson said after the race. While Thompson doesn’t miss the old track surface, he loves the new concrete track. “The conditions at Woodburn are generally pretty good, but the track was pretty bumpy and hard to negotiate, kudos to the Woodburn management for investing the money and effort to make this a good track again. The surface is excellent and very smooth” Thompson acknowledged.

Thompson’s low ET earned him the right to go up against Brian Hough in the final round. Unfortunately for Thompson, a small mistake at the starting line cost him the race. “I hit the gas to early, caught myself and managed not to red light. But the car shook hard and I had to shut it off early” said Thompson who recorded a 6.02 to Hough’s 5.65.

The Woodburn race served as a test session for the Mission Divisional event coming up May 27-29. Thompson won the event three years in a row from 2006-2008.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back