Thieves hit nitro pits in Virginia (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Got a call from a friend of mine who just returned from the race, and he said that while the Nitro teams were in the lanes for the last qualifying shot on Saturday thieves hit the nitro pits. Among those who were hit, were Clay Milican's pit, stealing a complete clutch assembly.

Other teams lost pistons, tools, food & banners, etc.

Looks like one crew member from all the teams will be assigned to security
duty from now on, while everyone else is in the lanes or starting line. That really stinks.

Hope they catch the low lifes, and punish them to the fullest extent of the law.

This is very sad and madding! What a bunch of ultra low life jerks. Sure hope these clowns get caught! I always thought that one member of each team stayed back and maned the shotgun!

Unfortunately, not the first time this thing has happened at vmp that I have heard of. Sorry to hear about this, definately sucks to have to worry about thieves so much at the track.

:mad:
In today's world, frankly I don't know how anyone leaves their stuff unprotected.

I hope the thieves get caught and bashed over the heads with the breaker bar used to back down the blower.

This is really starting to bug me!
We're just a family team so we need everyone to the lanes when we pull up and with all these stories swirling around, we've now decided to pick up and lock the transporter for every pass, which really sucks! At our shop, we have video surveylance from multiple locations on the grounds and in the shop running 24 hours a day. If we lose something, I don't just want to call law enforcement who will refer us to our insurance carrier, I want my hard earned stuff back now! At least, I'll have faces to work with and the circle of racers is a relatively small one.

Jackee, thanks for the sobering reminder to keep things locked up!

It seems now days when you walk thru the pits, you see people carrying all sorts of parts and other things such as banners. My son and I were chatting with Chuck Worsham in Dallas when a guy walks up and asks Chuck for a rear slick for his..."son" so he could make a table for him in his room. Chuck was very nice to the guy and searches the CSK pit for one and asks a few crew members if they gave them all away or not. Chuck said to the man "sorry that they had given all used ones away." The man didnt even have enough respect to say "thanks for trying, good luck to you guys today, "etc...
Some fans walk thru the pits like vultures saying anything they can to scavenge parts from teams these days. If this guy did have a son, why wasnt he at the races with his dad if his son is such a big fan. My son is 7 and wouldnt DARE let me leave the house without taking him too!
It seems that people are getting more bold by stealing from teams now. Before you know it they will ban fans from the pits

Sounds like Richmond is as ghetto as Pomona. We had a golf cart stolen there in '98 when I was hanging out with V.:mad:

S/F
D

Bunch of my friends got hit at Houston this year. They were up for a round of Super Gas and their trucks, motorhomes and trailers were robbed. Wallets, tools, computers, etc. One guy lost over $600 cash.

We've now made sure that every time we go up for a pass...regardless if it is a national, divisional, or single-day bracket race...we either lock the entire rig or leave someone behind.

Trust no one.

I've thought of this many times walking thru the pits while the pro cars are running or in line to do so & most of the fans are up in the stands, and the pits are deserted. Who wants to stay behind in an empty pit and try & hear results on the PA??

Still, I'm right with ya... very upsetting. Takes alot of balls to do something like that (much more than I and most people have)...it's highly risky. Because even despite this incident, I'd venture to say your chances of getting away with it are not too good. If Someone from one of the neighboring pit crews didn't beat the sheet out of you... no doubt a more than a few vigilant fans would. I guess there's scum everywhere these days.
They'll get thier due............

I can't believe ANY racer would chance leaving they're Trailer's/truck's unlocked while they're at the Lanes!:rolleyes:
Joey,
For years we left absolutely everything out in the pits. I'm sure there was crime back then but it's just seemingly worse and we've all become gun-shy. (that's not to say we are shy with guns, however)
It's one of my fondest dreams to catch a thief in the act.

I can't believe ANY racer would chance leaving they're Trailer's/truck's unlocked while they're at the Lanes!:rolleyes:

Come on Joe... Even as a small family team, we left everything out, and now even put the battery charges and stuff away in between rounds... At small tracks like Speedworld in Phoenix, this happens all the time. Rubs me the wrong way. I'd hate to see what happens when someone gets caught.

On another note, I always talk to the people that come by to check out the car, answer their questions and let them check things out. It makes you wonder if they are asking questions or casing the joint. That just isn't right.

Bunch of my friends got hit at Houston this year. They were up for a round of Super Gas and their trucks, motorhomes and trailers were robbed. Wallets, tools, computers, etc. One guy lost over $600 cash.

We've now made sure that every time we go up for a pass...regardless if it is a national, divisional, or single-day bracket race...we either lock the entire rig or leave someone behind.

Trust no one.

We got cleaned out in Vegas 5 years ago when Joe Amato's and the Dream Weaver team was, too. They got in the Freightliner and took wallets, cell phones, cash and everything else that wasn't screwed to the countertop. We discovered it when we got back from making a qualifying run and the credit cards were already max'd.

Now no matter where we are the rig is locked up. From time to time we have a pit spy keeping a look out over several rigs parked in our area whenever we leave. He hopes someone shows up so he can try out his new Mac Tools torque wrench.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, if the thieves want it, a lock isn't going to stop them. Last week, my gym bag was taken from the front seat of my truck at the gym I frequent. They got my wallet, cell phone, college ring, etc. To make things worse, my social security # may have been compromised as well.

Guess you can't leave anything left unattended anywhere. :mad:

Its a shame when that happens to any team. We usually try and park next to a friend who runs a different class so that we are never gone at the same times, but I do make sure the trailer is closed up if there is no one around to keep an eye on things

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back