The Mid Engined Funny Car (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
... And it's place in the future of drag racing: An open discussion.

Old heads like me recall the days of mid-engined funny cars; I recall a photo thread that had the prominent cars as well as some one-night wonders. Evil handling, awkward and soon faded into the background like so many other racing concepts gone by.

Most of what made the cars what they were was the available technology of the era, and the idea that the cars should remain visually like their Detroit lineage. Today, all of that has had 40 years (at least) of engineering advancements in materials, fabrication and design. Parking Schumacher's Wonder Bread Vega- state of the art for the time- against the same owner's current stable of cars shows the clear-cut advancement of the class. Add to that the fact that aerodynamics and styling have allowed a 4-door sedan to have a better CD and downforce measurment than most exotic supercars, and its clear that body styles are representitive of the function, and not the form.

Is it time to start considering, for the same safety and performance aspect that caused the change in dragsters, a new design of funny car using the mid-engined concept in an application for the 21st century? The limitations that cars from the 70s and 80s due to the above mentioned factors would be all but eliminated on a modern car, as keeping the cars "looking" the same as the factory item is all based on what stickers are placed on the grille and tail lights; that horse has left the barn, and its not coming back again.

Chassis engineering to apply horsepower to tire is such that if one was to start with a clean slate, but use the current technology to create such a car, it could literally be 70% conceptualized, engineered and tested all inside a CADD program. Don't doubt thst modern race cars don't already use that technology.

As it seems that we are still slaves to the shortest wick, and we have already seen the results in one class of a re-thinking of tradition, would it not be time to consider an alternative?

Discuss.

Force gave it a lot of thought in the 90's, but once they put it on paper, it didn't come out how they wanted. Weight transfer, engine / rear end location, and so on. Plus in a front end impact , I'd like to be between the engine and rear tires I think. Go watch a video of Tim Grose, RC Sherman, Jerry Caminito, Ed Mccullouh/John Collins, Johnny West, etc.

As Big Daddy and many others have discovered you need a longer wheelbase the nearer your sitting to the front. Otherwise you don't realise the car is beginning to get out of shape soon enough to corrrect quickly and gently. That's is among the reasons that the rear engined fuel dragster wheelbase went over 200 inches and then quickly well beyond. I suspect the funny car wheelbase would have to be near or beyond 200 inches to be mangeable.

Anyone remember how long Jim Dunn's "Funny Car Summer" Rear engine funny car was? He had pretty good luck with that one after some fairly big teething problems.

Anyone remember how long Jim Dunn's "Funny Car Summer" Rear engine funny car was? He had pretty good luck with that one after some fairly big teething problems.
They are really great until they don't go straight then all of a sudden your in trouble and you may not yet realize it.

Well I think the Prius bodied funny car is what is next, on the other hand the body of a Prius would make a great prostock as well, with the funny car Prius one could bost of the Green aspect of the race car because it burns alterative fuel, at a rate 110 gallons per minute, but it does it in 3.9 seconds so its still a somewhat economical .

You could use a 2000 hp full elecric motor in the Prostock Prius and really go green and you could race at 2am and not upset the folks who unknowingly bought houses next to an NHRA national event track during the off season.

A Prius body could be made 30 feet long and set on a top fuel chassis to become a Green Streamliner, or Greenliner, or you could just leave it stock length and a big dollar top fuel team could us it for the canopy on the next generation of ultra safe dragsters......................... Or Not

Last edited:
....A Prius body could be made 30 feet long and set on a top fuel chassis to become a Green Streamliner, or Greenliner, or you could just leave it stock length and a big dollar top fuel team could us it for the canopy on the next generation of ultra safe dragsters......................... Or Not

You're just TRYING to get Franklin back on here again, aren't you? ;)

Well I think the Prius bodied funny car is what is next, on the other hand the body of a Prius would make a great prostock as well, with the funny car Prius one could bost of the Green aspect of the race car because it burns alterative fuel, at a rate 110 gallons per minute, but it does it in 3.9 seconds so its still a somewhat economical .

You could use a 2000 hp full elecric motor in the Prostock Prius and really go green and you could race at 2am and not upset the folks who unknowingly bought houses next to an NHRA national event track during the off season.

A Prius body could be made 30 feet long and set on a top fuel chassis to become a Green Streamliner, or Greenliner, or you could just leave it stock length and a big dollar top fuel team could us it for the canopy on the next generation of ultra safe dragsters......................... Or Not
NOT

The thing that you need to be carefull with is when you have change purely for the sake of change, purely to have something different. What I mean by being carefull is that sometimes it does not work.

For example rear engine funny cars, tried before with minimul success. People also talk about letting other motors besides the hemi into the nitro ranks. Once again tried before and the ban on other engines only really got rid of the mcgee quad cam and the arias, as the process of elimination as far as what works had allready ruled out other things well before the ban.

Once teams find out what works it does not take long before everyone ends up with the same stuff.

I don't think it is the steering working or not, more that the cars react quicker then the driver. By the time the driver realises he is out of shape and corrects he is allready backwards.

My God, it took what - two seasons - to get a canopy approved. None of us here would live long enough for NHRA to approve something as radical as a rear engine FC, even if they were shown to be potentially competitive.

I recall way back in the day someone campaigning a twin small-block Chevy FC, laid out like Eddie Hill's old twin Pontiac dragster. I don't think it ever won a round.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back