The History of Dave McClelland Told by Dave Himself (1 Viewer)

With a four parter on Big Mac, I also spied one on Prudhomme, and if you go to the guys site, there's also two more I want to see on Andy Granatelli and Ed Iskendarian....so I am saving this for later when I have time to see it all...I understand the annoyance factor...but I can't complain too much....it's free, and nothing like the 2 minute videos posted on youtube that have 40 seconds of intro credits, and 60 seconds of ending credits (you know the ones)....camera man - Larry, directed by - Larry, produced by - Larry, written by - Larry, 3D credits by - Larry, makeup - Larry's cat....LarryCO and Larry Productions is proud to present, A film by Larry....
then follows 20 seconds of incredibly Star Trekky "shake" video of some car idling at a car show
Then the end credits roll.....

just sayin'

Last edited:
You & Marc are both right. You don't have to put words in Dave's mouth. All he had to ask was, "how did you get started in broadcasting??" and Dave could have gave him 20 minutes. Then, "tell us about the early years".

I think I was lucky enough to have been at a race which turned out to be Dave's initial announcing experience. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's accurate.

It was 1959, as I remember, and at the local strip for me (Carlisle, Arkansas; I worked on the tech line.) There was a match race going on between two current lumiaries (Garlits and Eddie Hill, maybe,) and the story I got was, that the regular (but inexperienced,) announcer "choked" at the prospect of announcing such a race, and the visiting Mr. McClelland was asked if he'd do the honors (having had training as a radio/tv announcer.)

He agreed to do it.

The rest is history, as they say. And, what a history it is!!!

I hope this is accurate. Maybe Dave will see it and can confirm or deny it.

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Last edited:
Believe or not, Steve has been here to VHS for interviews including me. :D Later this year we are planning on doing a day (or weekend) at the races where he will follow us around from loading the trailer to the end. Perhaps the CHRR.

Steve is very much a professional and what you see is completely raw and unscripted; one take only without rehearsal or having a prior conversation about the topic(s). Yes it is confusing and even hard to be part of, but an interesting and unique style.

Glad you've enjoyed. Dave is truly a treasure and a great replacement for Paul Page. Even if it be part time. Heck I'd even start watching again.;)

Bill, spot on. Your memory isn't failing you at all!!!, sharp as ever. Who would have ever thought that the opportunity to climb up on that flatbed trailer (palatial tower!!!) and take the microphone would lead to all that happened in my life. Still amazes me. Hope you are well, and maybe we'll have a chance to get together in the near future.

MaC

Good to see you here, Dave.

Every time I hear that golden voice of yours I'm transported back to a much better time.

Here's to you, sir.

Bill, spot on. Your memory isn't failing you at all!!!, sharp as ever. Who would have ever thought that the opportunity to climb up on that flatbed trailer (palatial tower!!!) and take the microphone would lead to all that happened in my life. Still amazes me. Hope you are well, and maybe we'll have a chance to get together in the near future.

MaC

Thanks for the reply, MaC! I was not too sure that I had the facts straight, but really enjoyed the pictures and commentary about the Shreve Automotive years and the Tuna Tank!

You can tell from the comments on this board that we're fully aware that WE are the lucky ones that you decided on a career in motorsports broadcasting, and chose drag racing as your "home base."

Not many people become a legend in their own time...

Good luck to you, and yes, I hope we meet again soon! Hearing you on TV is great, but THAT VOICE sounds even better, in person! :)

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Just finished watching Part 1 and I can't wait for the others. Like many others I grew up with "Big Mac" being the voice of NHRA drag racing. We were also lucky enough to have Dave manage our local track(Southland Dragway, Houma. La) for a few years. Dave, you really need to write a book about your years in drag racing, I for one would be first in line to buy it. Hope you are well.

Just finished watching Part 1 and I can't wait for the others. Like many others I grew up with "Big Mac" being the voice of NHRA drag racing. We were also lucky enough to have Dave manage our local track(Southland Dragway, Houma. La) for a few years. Dave, you really need to write a book about your years in drag racing, I for one would be first in line to buy it. Hope you are well.

All 4 parts are already posted. The bar across the top has the others listed, just click on them individually.

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Or use these convenient links!

Last edited:
Man, I don't want to belabor this, but this interviewer really needs to learn how to interview in a more professional manner. The guy is clueless on how to conduct a one-on-one.

I can't make it more than ten minutes listening to this guy interrupt our beloved Dave without wincing and wishing I had a sock to stuff in his pie hole.

Yeah, this guy's not too great of an interviewer, for sure. D-Mac is a legend who should be (AND IS) held in the same regard of the likes of Al Micheals, John Madden, Jim McKay, Mike Joy.... or anyone else in sports. Such an honor to have followed and enjoyed his career.

wonder if any unexpected cameos are forthcoming?
bob frey wouldn't even say anything, would just be the start of
a pro session and all of a sudden the voice would be Mac.
how priceless would that be.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back