The Brute Statement (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
In explaining the rationale for BRUT’s NHRA departure, Marc Broccoli, Director, Men’s Category Marketing, Idelle Lab’s, Ltd. stated:

"While the NHRA sponsorship provided new visibility to BRUT, it is still, in the context of sports marketing sponsorships, a comparatively small brand. As the price of competitive, high-profile sponsorship in the Top Fuel classes of drag racing escalates, it has become very difficult for BRUT to remain as active and visible a participant as we want it to be."

This is what I've been saying: The cost to field a fuel car has cost more than what a sponsor in most cases is willing to pay. This is a BIG problem. Pro Drag racing can't continue on this collision course with true economics. I don't care what they are getting in NASCAR because we aren't NASCAR.

This is what I've been saying: The cost to field a fuel car has cost more than what a sponsor in most cases is willing to pay. This is a BIG problem. Pro Drag racing can't continue on this collision course with true economics. I don't care what they are getting in NASCAR because we aren't NASCAR.

Rich,
You are preaching to the choir. I agree wholeheartedly, but what's the solution? There will always be someone who's willing to outspend all of his competitors for an andvantage...even to the detriment of the sport itself!

Salary caps? Limited testing? Also, how about giving all the teams (and their sponsors) equal airtime? Kind of like revenue sharing, but we'd call it "airtime sharing" Just a few ideas.

The cost to field a fuel car has cost more than what a sponsor in most cases is willing to pay. This is a BIG problem. Pro Drag racing can't continue on this collision course with true economics. I don't care what they are getting in NASCAR because we aren't NASCAR.

This has always been the case. Nothing new. Guys like Densham and Dunn have learned to do it within their means even though the sky is the limit as far as spending goes.

The solution is getting the cost of fuel racing under control.

Actually I usually find two solutions in such a situation....

Cut costs (as you already said) or... Raise revenue (payback on investment).

Although cutting costs is always "good" it is not always helpful. In the case of NHRA professional competition I believe raising revenue through a comprehensive marketing process will provide more long term stability and growth for our sport than detailing cost cutting procedures.

However, this is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. :)

You guys are all correct that this is nothing new and I know in most cases sponsor money is supplemented. But I can't help but think it's getting towards the tipping point when I read sponsor statemants like that. Perhaps it's time that NHRA really do what's needed and that's increase the purse.

I don't know but, I bet cologne/perfume companies might not be bad bets to go after. I've hauled the stuff 7,000 gallons at a time in tankers and they sell it for how much an ounce? :eek:

I'd hazard a guess that the cost of the big sign (on Capps car) @ DSR was going up and DSR's proposal to run a bunch of little signs on all of the cars is where the value to/for Brut went out the window. Just a guess.

Last edited:
I don't see how the suits at NHRA or HD Partners or whatever can read that statement and not do something. Anything.

Re: The Brut Statement

Actually I usually find two solutions in such a situation....

Cut costs (as you already said) or... Raise revenue (payback on investment).

Although cutting costs is always "good" it is not always helpful. In the case of NHRA professional competition I believe raising revenue through a comprehensive marketing process will provide more long term stability and growth for our sport than detailing cost cutting procedures.

However, this is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. :)

you gotta spend money to make money. so where's it going to come from?

by the way ,ya think someone could change the spelling on the title of this thread. Brut must be thrilled after 3 years someone here can't even spell it right.

The fact that Brut feels it to costly to remain with NHRA, that hasn't stopped the Castrol express for the last 15 years! If other sponsors aren't willing to spoon like Castrol does to compete, what does that say?:rolleyes:

It's threads like this that make me love Jerry Toliver even more every time he brings another major in the back door while everyone's eyes were wide open.

I've said it before. Every manufacturer of goods or provider of services that grows beyond a local market and becomes nation-wide or multi-national needs desperately to market their goods and services to the public above that of their competitors. It's our responsibility to prove how their needs for exposure can be met through our sport. While some of us are whining about the cost prohibitive nature of our sport, other "Jerry Toliver" types are out inking a multi-year deals because they believe. It's time to believe again.

I have over 50,000 direct competitors in my field but I still get way more than my share of the market because I think differently (bigger) than nearly all of my competitors. This is an age old situation that will never go away. I'm telling you that the glass is 1/2 full but you insist it's 1/2 empty. Neither of us is wrong nor right above the other but one of us eats steak and cruises the Caribbean while the other takes on a second job to make ends meet. It's no different in any business market. 80% of the people will aways live on 20% of the money while the other 20% enjoy the 80% they leave on the table. Maybe it's time to think differently. As a humble bricklayer's son I learned and I guarantee there's more room at the top. Please don't take this as an egotistical statement. If you do, you missed the entire point and even made my point for me.

Last edited:
wow doc. great post.
you're 110% right on the money.
hard work and persistance will get you places.
the lack thereof will not.

It's threads like this that make me love Jerry Toliver even more every time he brings another major in the back door while everyone's eyes were wide open.

"Jerry Toliver" types are out inking a multi-year deals because they believes. It's time to believe again.

Jerry Toliver is one the few individuals in the sport that can go out and promote himself. Years ago the joke was something about having brown eyes etc. Once one starts a resume it gets easier to contact larger companies for some assistance. And the rest of us? Oh, well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back