The # 1 moment picked as the best of 60 (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I had a busy weekend, just saw it today. John Force Winning his 15th title?
Really? Now don't get me wrong, it's amazing how he dedicated himself toward a comeback since 2007 crash, but this is above the National Record championship pass, Or the rear engine dragster? I admire John Force's comeback, is it or should it be good enough to be the # 1 moment above the rest of the top 5? Absolutely not.

Simple answer, it was a popularity contest on Facebook. I will guarantee that majority of people who voted were not following the sport when the other moments occurred.

I bet you John Force is kinda shocked and may not be in the good I won type of way. I remember back in 2001 it's been said he was worried that he was gonna be voted the # 1 racer and not Garlits

It was NHRA #1 moment not Drag Racing's... This is just another example of where NHRA is going... :rolleyes:

Wasn't the 15th title the result of the C/D reset, and not because of overall season performance? Not to stir up that hornet's nest again, but how many season wins/ RUs did John have that season? I don't recall the details...

EDIT: John did earn that 2010 season- just looked at the archives.

Last edited:
Wasn't the 15th title the result of the C/D reset, and not because of overall season performance? Not to stir up that hornet's nest again, but how many season wins/ RUs did John have that season? I don't recall the details...

EDIT: John did earn that 2010 season- just looked at the archives.

He earned it regardless. What fantasyland to you live where there is a trophy earned for leading the old format at season's end.

It doesn't exist.

And I Very Much Disagree with the #1 Moment!

Last edited:
shirley's first championship

john f. first nhra driver into hall of fame

kenny breaks 300mph

interchangeable #1 thru #3

I am a bit biased, but I went with Kenny breaking the 300mph barrier as the #1 moment. Other big moments are "the run", Shirley's first title, Garlits rear engined dragster, and the Founding of the NHRA. Sorry, but Force's accomplishment isn't even in the same league as these others.

Well I'm a bit biased as well, being the same age as John. With having won more championships than any other driver in the history of the sport, to come back at his age, with nothing to prove after the physical and emotional trauma he suffered in the Texas crash was nothing short of miraculous. Many other drivers (half his age) would have thrown in the towel and would be understandably content with team ownership etc. I recall many of the posts at that time urging him to do just that. I will admit that at the time I felt he should call it a day as well. There have been numerous exciting moments in drag racing history, but none compare, in my opinion to John's comeback championship.

Well I'm a bit biased as well, being the same age as John. With having won more championships than any other driver in the history of the sport, to come back at his age, with nothing to prove after the physical and emotional trauma he suffered in the Texas crash was nothing short of miraculous. Many other drivers (half his age) would have thrown in the towel and would be understandably content with team ownership etc. I recall many of the posts at that time urging him to do just that. I will admit that at the time I felt he should call it a day as well. There have been numerous exciting moments in drag racing history, but none compare, in my opinion to John's comeback championship.

I agree with everything you said. Why do I feel the way I do? Is it the biggest story of the last 60 years when you considered what other HUGE moments were on that list. I feel JF should of been top 3 or 4, but # 1? What he did in his circumstances were huge, but it just does not compare to Alan Johnson having to win the race and set a national record to win. He tuned a 4.428, 1 of only 3 crew chiefs to ever hit a 4.42 1320 or the now 3.75 it was. The run made history. Who else other than AJ deliever a championship that way?

I was kinda surprised at JF's moment being voted #1.

I voted for Big Daddy's rear engined dragster as #1. Without it, who knows if TF racing would exist to this day.

Force's comeback was a great moment and a testament to the tenacity of one of the sport's greats, but it's not the greatest moment in the sport. I felt almost all the other top 5 moments were equal or greater, but the most important for the sport has to be the founding of NHRA. Without the vision of Wally Parks and his efforts to spawn drag racing as a sport, the focus on safety, and acting as a liaison with the public, we'd still still be "those good-for-nothing hot rodders."

the contest title was 'nhra's greatest moments' - it is obvious and somewhat
redundant to include 'the formation of the nhra' as a choice.

'the formation of the nhra' would be the #1 choice for 'drag racing's
greatest moments', but nhra can't do that and risk non-nhra moments
topping their list :rolleyes:

you would not say 'the formation of the nfl' is the greatest moment of the nfl;
it is perhaps the greatest moment of 'organized american football'.

the contest title was 'nhra's greatest moments' - it is obvious and somewhat
redundant to include 'the formation of the nhra' as a choice.

'the formation of the nhra' would be the #1 choice for 'drag racing's
greatest moments', but nhra can't do that and risk non-nhra moments
topping their list :rolleyes:

you would not say 'the formation of the nfl' is the greatest moment of the nfl;
it is perhaps the greatest moment of 'organized american football'.

I 100% agree, but the NHRA did not stop that, that could of been. All i'm saying is John Force and his 15th title did not change the face of drag racing and that's the kinda moment that had to be # 1. The Run Was, the rear engine dragster Was, the 300 run was

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back