Texas Motorplex moving (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Back in the early 90’s the US Government had started the Superconducting Supercollider project. It involved a great deal of land in the Waxahachie/Ennis area ultimately planning to be being consumed by the government.
While the program DID get underway, it eventually got canceled after the Presidential election.
Just for old time’s sake, can someone remind me - just how close DID the TM come to having to really get into the fight? There was talk about going up by Alliance, and the TMS. All this of course means nothing now….. but I just can’t recall what the situation was for Billy Meyer at the time. Thanks.

Actually, the only reason I brought it up …. Believe it or not, come to find out many years later my departed, late Father In Law, (who I only met 6 years ago) was one of the leading scientists on the project. Talk about irony. Anyway…. Before he passed, he told me, that he personally sat in on many very top level boardroom meetings back then…. and the plan and hope was, to not just buy the track - but also the majority of the land with major structures on them anywhere in that big circle (and we’re talking about a very large area).

Their train of thought going in was….if they wanted or needed it …. We’re taking it, whatever the cost.

That’s why I asked for a reminder. I seem to remember some early-on pushback from (not only) the Motorplex but other land owners as well. But based on what he told me - the Government - surprise, surprise….. balked at the feedback and didn’t give two good sneezes about it. Just kind of Interesting to look back I guess.

There's a large, sparse area between eastern Grand Prairie and western Dallas county that Billy Meyer wanted to move the Motorplex to many years ago. It would have been a great deal for everybody. He offered to build the complex (which wasn't limited to a drag strip) with the stipulation he could lease it from the city of Grand Prairie for $1 a year. It would have brought a ton of revemue to the city and moved Meyer's race operations right there within minutes of 3 million people instead of 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere. The GP City Council overwhelmingly approved the idea but by law it was required to be presented as a referendum to the electorate.

You know what happened next. The townsfolk said no way; "we don't want all that noise and that type of people anywhere near OUR city....", basically equating drag racers to outlaw biker gangs. And that was that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back