Terry McMillen (1 Viewer)

I can not express strongly enough that EVERY fan should read Dr. Robert Post's book on the history of drag racing, in particular the chapter that has to do with the low budget racers that got priced out of the sport.
In the 1960s.

History is a constant and available reminder of how not to do it wrong.

We may be entering a time where the sport becomes "golden" again, but we have been through such an amazing amount of turmoil in the past 10-15 years, I am amazed that we have any privateers running in the pro ranks at all. The cost of running a fuel car in just the past decade has at least tripled, if for no other cost, the fuel it takes just to GET to the races. It's not filling up the 100 gallon tank in the dually anymore; its 300 gallons in the tractor. It's not getting it down the track and figuring it out in eliminations; its fighting to be in the Top 12 on Friday, or being ass out or completely lucky on Saturday. It's not counting your lucky stars when the rods kick out that you weren't hurt or worse; its looking at your bank account close when a strap on your diaper breaks loose after a boomer.
It's guys that can afford to replace a $30,000 body three times a year.
It's guys that look at the bottom line with a championship-level car that just decide to hang it up.

It has gotten way out of hand. Again.
Martin is the book called The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, I was looking for it on Amazon and that's the only book I could find by him.

Martin is the book called The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, I was looking for it on Amazon and that's the only book I could find by him.
Yes- High Performance: The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing is the correct title. A great read for fans and racers alike.

As Big Jim Dunn says, racing costs the same amount of money now as it did way back then ... Everything you've got.

And no matter how much you've got, someone is always going to have more.
Now it's how much do you want to not have anymore before you say No Mas...

I doubt AJ is broke. I doubt Johnny Gray stopped because the till was dry. I am willing to bet even money that the big teams you don't see out there in Pro Stock aren't worried about dinner on the table.

These teams are on the sidelines because that old adage about "All You Got" rang hollow to them.

Johnny Gray, is not getting out of racing, his sons decided that they are wanting to spend less time on the road next year and more time with their families. He's still going to lease engines, and field a Pro Stock car.

Johnny Gray, is not getting out of racing, his sons decided that they are wanting to spend less time on the road next year and more time with their families. He's still going to lease engines, and field a Pro Stock car.
Johnny got out of fuel racing. Lucky for the sport, his sister stepped in to fund a couple of cars in the class.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back