Terry Haddock Speaks On Testing Issue (1 Viewer)

The rule as it was written didn't seem vague or unclear. Kinda interesting that all of a sudden someone needs clarification.
There are more than enough intelligent people that do this for a living that completely understood the rule, however ineffective it may be.
Why would it take over 6 months for anyone to need for it to be 'interpretted'?
Let the debate carry on, but it really is suspect. No one can argue that now. Rationalization is what gets a lot of people through life.

From the very first time I read this rule I was incensed. Remember, NHRA technically began as an organization designed to provide a safe environment (both facilities and vehicle standards) for racers to run their increasingly quick and fast race cars. Somehow, they've morphed into an organization that dictates everything from safety to where a sticker must be placed in order to collect points. I fully understand the need for a separate entity, besides the racers themselves, whose responsibility it is to provide a means of ensuring safety, for the racers and fans, and I accept that. But when that organization tells racers what they can and can't do with their personally owned equipment, something has to change.

What makes it even funnier is the fact that this rule was supposed to save the "little guy" money, but Terry points out that it actually hurt him because he had previous commitments that he wasn't willing to break. God forbid somebody has the morals to do what they agreed to do, regardless of the consequences. In my mind he's not whining, he's making a valid point that he was willing to follow the spirit of the rule, as written, rather than try to manipulate it to meet his personal needs.

And to those who say he's not really chasing the points in NHRA, I say you haven't been paying attention. Everyone knew that with the new Clowndown system, racers could take races off and still make it in to the coundown - there was discussion on this very board that, among others, Kalitta might try to do that. Connelly did do it. Haddock was racing his equipment the way he wanted too - or at least that's what he was trying to do until NHRA cut him off at the knees.

My recommended soultion? Let the folks who have money run their cars whenever and wherever they want too. This is a Capitalist society - even in racing. If they've figured out how to do it and they have the money, then they should have the right.

P.S. Heck of a first post after such an extended absence, huh?

Last edited:
I agree if its there cars and there money let em race em,id be dam*ed if let some1 would tell me when i want to run MY CAR. Bottom line NHRA is turning into Nascrap. Whos to say if im a millionaire i wanted to build a strip in my back yard and run then let NHRA dock me points. Yea right. Keep digging your hole NHRA.

I just want to personally thank Mr. Graham Light and the fine folks in Glendora for validating my decision not to join the NHRA and receive Nat'l Dragster. I haven't been a member in half a decade and, with piss poor decision making like this, am looking forward to saving more money in the coming years.

I wonder if any one at Glendora asked themselves "hey, how come no one has tested for more than 4 days?" before they decided the rule was worded wrong? :eek:

When the testing policy was first announced the owners were for it. But don't take my word for it,

NHRA Story » Top Fuel, Funny Car testing policy supported by team owners

Alan

Alan,

I remember reading that article when it was released and thinking to myself... just wait till something happens that challenges the rule. Well, here we are. Ask Schumacher or Bernstein what they think now. I bet they're singing a slightly different tune - I know Capps is.

Personally, I can't wait to hear the interviews during the telecasts this weekend - assuming we have a race. There are times when ESPN tries to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, but in my mind this is a true-blue, dyed in the wool controversy that's a lot more exciting than miles on a scooter.

And for the record, I happen to think the world of Robert Hight - he's a class act who worked extremely hard to get where he is today, and aside from Tim Wilkerson, he's the driver I root for on Sunday. But if I were in charge and I had to make a decision, as hard as it might be, he would not be earning points in Maple Grove. But then again, if I were in charge, the rule wouldn't be in place to begin with.

Nowhere did I see where running another organization or match race was considering testing.

Really?

Registered member said:
NHRA’s definition of testing includes, but is not limited to, any run or attempted run conducted at any track whatsoever, whether or not it is an NHRA track or NHRA-sanctioned track. Exhibitions, match racing, licensing attempts, and the like are considered testing and will be subject to this testing policy.

Pretty clear.

To be very honest and respectful, that is exactly what I am afraid of. The 'spin zone' may just have taken on a new venue. I truly hope I am pleasantly suprised.

Watch what show Alan? NHRA today? Or ESPN? Both are going to be Pro NHRA. Don't get me wrong they pay your salary, So you of course have to support their decision.
Any show will be pro NHRA. Unless NHRA has no say in the show and then you will say they are wrong.
I guess it comes down to Will NHRA admit they are wrong? History will show the answer is no.
They didn't when they banned nitro in the 60s
They didn't when they added weight to Mopars in pro stock in the 70s
and they won't now reguardless of how it was written.
Lets just face the facts NHRA is not man enough to admit when they make a mistake.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back