Stardust (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
There's a great shot of the recreation of Shoe's Stardust Cuda over at DRC. I'm not starting the whole "Today's FCs look nothing like real cars" debate, because the fact is, today's cars look the way they do because they go 330 MPH, not 230 like in the 70's. And they are wild, purpose-built race-cars. But one can't help but miss the days of the Stardust and the other cars of that era. Just really good lookin' cars.

Justin Grant's Stardust replica is a very nice racecar and runs really well.

Stardust_cuda.jpg

We had a great time at the Night Under Fire. Bader put on a great program, and my driver Joe Haas did an outstanding job driving. If I can just get her back into the 6.30's and 6.40's from the 6.50's to 6.60's we are running, we will be better off. We ran a 6.39 at Indy for the Good-Guys, but have since dropped back when we added the new blower.

We ran a 6.63 at 220 MPH on the second pass.

Here is picture from Indy.

indysd.JPG

Those are great shots. Here's an idea from left field: What if as a way to bring new excitement to the Alky FC class, they were required to run 70's bodies, such as the Cuda, Satellite, Vega, Monza, etc. Leave the current engine & trans. combos the same, just put old-style bodies on 'em. I know it's probably silly, but it would be cool.

Those are great shots. Here's an idea from left field: What if as a way to bring new excitement to the Alky FC class, they were required to run 70's bodies, such as the Cuda, Satellite, Vega, Monza, etc. Leave the current engine & trans. combos the same, just put old-style bodies on 'em. I know it's probably silly, but it would be cool.

It's called Pro Modified. :D

You're actually not far off Sam, the Pro Mods are some of the wildest cars to ever hit the strip. And they have evolved into alky FCs with doors.

Not a bad idea ........would add a level of interest. Otherwise the Alky cars look like slow Nitro cars.

There will probably be a Nostalgia Alcohol Funny Car class added to the NFCA next season. There are many alky f/c's already built.

NFCA

It's only cool if they are on nitro.

There's a great shot of the recreation of Shoe's Stardust Cuda over at DRC. I'm not starting the whole "Today's FCs look nothing like real cars" debate, because the fact is, today's cars look the way they do because they go 330 MPH, not 230 like in the 70's. And they are wild, purpose-built race-cars. But one can't help but miss the days of the Stardust and the other cars of that era. Just really good lookin' cars.

The recreations I've seen are bad ass. I love the Bubble Up car which I saw last weekend. The only noticable difference was that the metal strip on the bottom was green and not black plus some of the decals were different since they were actual current sponsors ie Castrol rather than Valvoline etc.

The Don has got to be proud of the job you did recreating the Stardust Cuda. I allways thought the 70 Cuda made a great looking funny car and this example sure proves it!
Great job Justin!;)

Thanks Paul-

We try to make sure the car runs as well as it looks. Last weekend we ran 89% Nitro, but we run a standard of 85%. Tom Motry is turning the screws on her and has her running well!

This car would not be possible without Don Schumacher, Mike Lewis, and Phil Shuler . The help they have provided in putting this car together can not be put into words!

Justin

Justin, It was cool to see ya at the thunderfest at Cordova,I just got the flier for the world series,and I'm happy to see that you'll be there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back