Sports Records That Will Never Be Broken (Nominees!) (1 Viewer)

Bullard Anderson

Nitro Member
Topic on radio this morning was Sports Records that will never be broken. There are plenty out there, but mine is Rickey Henderson's All-Time Stolen Base Mark of 1,406, and his single season (1982) mark of 130!

Cal's game streak

Jerry Rice's game catch streak

The all time wins for a pitcher Cy Young 511

Lance armstrongs 7 in a row

Force's 10 championships in row and 13 in 15 years

I agree on Rickey's #'s

I agree on Force's 13 championships. I dont think that # will ever be matched much less passed.

Ripken's game streak, Lance's 7 Tours, Richard Petty's 200 wins in Nascar,
Hendersons stolen base record.

But like the saying goes, "Records are made to be broken!"

I don`t think Wilts 50.1 ppg average for an entire season will ever be broken. His 100 pts in one game is probably safe too (though Kobe gave it a good run).

johnny vandermeers back to back no-hitters. to break it someone will have to throw 3 no hitters in a row. that will NEVER be broken. forces 13 championships in this day and age of drag racing will be a tough one to top too.

Baseball probably has the "most" of the most records that will never be broken, just because the nature of the game lends itself to soooo many interesting statistics. Anyway, here is my list in no particular order:

Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters and 5714 strikeouts
Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive games played streak
Pete Rose's 4256 hits
Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak
Cy Young's 511 wins
Ty Cobb's career .366 batting average

For "other" sports:

Whatever number of wins and Championships John Force and Michael Schumacher wind up with.
Richard Petty's 200 wins
Lance Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins.
Wayne Gretzky's goals 894, assists 1,963 and total points 2,857
Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points in a game and 55 rebounds in a game
Dan Marino's career yards 61,361
Jerry Rice's career TD's 194, consecutive games with a catch 273
Michael Jordan's consecutive games in double digit scoring streak 832, 10 scoring titles and all time playoff scoring 5,987 points

The first one that came to mind was Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak... Being an Oriole fan, and Cal's biggest fan that's tops on my list -- 1a.

John's 13 championships, and his consecutive streak of 10 championships is 1b.

I don't think anyone will ever average Wilt's 50.1 points a game either. I think Jordan has the second highest average for a season and that was like 37.5 or something.

I would have also said Wilt's 100 points in a game, but after Kobes 80 point plus game, maybe some other young hotshot (if not Kobe) will do it one day.

Lance's 7 consecutive wins in France is #2 in my book, and it could be easily argued as #1.

The all time wins for a pitcher, 511! for Cy Young, that could be argued at #1 as well. That really is an incredible number.

The Atlanta Braves consecutive run of division crowns is one that will be tough to beat, then again maybe not as long as George is around and has more money than everyone else.

The number of World Series apperances and wins for the Yankees is impressive indeed, but will it still be impressive 100 years from now? My guess is no, not when the Orioles become ALL WORLD, ALL THE TIME!:D

One coach (Joe Gibbs) winning 3 or more Superbowls with a different QB each time will never happen again. It's not just because I'm a huge Washington Redskins fan either:D It'll be 4 Superbowls after this year I hope.

Cal's game streak

I've said this before and I full believe it in my Heart. Cal Went out on Strike twice in his career, so he missed two Scheduled Games... either of which was before he didn't break Lou's record. And if anyone claims he broke the record, then MLBPA has never gone on strike. You can't have it both ways.

Baseball probably has the "most" of the most records that will never be broken, just because the nature of the game lends itself to soooo many interesting statistics. Anyway, here is my list in no particular order:

Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters and 5714 strikeouts
Cal Ripken's 2632 consecutive games played streak
Pete Rose's 4256 hits
Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak
Cy Young's 511 wins
Ty Cobb's career .366 batting average

For "other" sports:

Whatever number of wins and Championships John Force and Michael Schumacher wind up with.
Richard Petty's 200 wins
Lance Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins.
Wayne Gretzky's goals 894, assists 1,963 and total points 2,857
Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points in a game and 55 rebounds in a game
Dan Marino's career yards 61,361
Jerry Rice's career TD's 194, consecutive games with a catch 273
Michael Jordan's consecutive games in double digit scoring streak 832, 10 scoring titles and all time playoff scoring 5,987 points

Doh!!! How could I ever forget Michael Schumacher and his 7, (make it 8 after we catch Alonso this year) F1 championships.
*Joe's 56 game hit streak is another tough one.
*The Kings 200 wins...
*...and I didn't realize MJ scored double digits in 832 straight games, his 10 scoring titles is a keeper too.

Thanks for those numbers Chris.:)

I've said this before and I full believe it in my Heart. Cal Went out on Strike twice in his career, so he missed two Scheduled Games... either of which was before he didn't break Lou's record. And if anyone claims he broke the record, then MLBPA has never gone on strike. You can't have it both ways.
I think that's nickel and diming it Karl. That's like saying they cancel a game because of rain..therefore he was scheduled to play but didn't.

You gotta give it up for Cal and what he accomplished...with class and dignity.

Most of the records spoken of are worthy of their mention.

I'll throw our Hank Aaron's all time "drug free" home run record. It may stand forever!

Clay Millican's 10 Top Fuel IHRA National wins in a row and 5 (soon to be 6) IHRA Top Fuel Championships in a row.

One coach (Joe Gibbs) winning 3 or more Superbowls with a different QB each time will never happen again. It's not just because I'm a huge Washington Redskins fan either:D It'll be 4 Superbowls after this year I hope.

Hail to the Redskins! Hail Victory!
I with ya Doctor! I don't care if were 10-6 this season, it could be rough. Just get me to the playoffs!

Remember the stories of Mrs. Gibbs taping the dinner conversations during training camp and mailing them to Coach Gibbs at Redskin Park because he was so invested!

Naz, I almost mentioned the Yankee's. What 26 or 27 time World Champions but when I thought about it, I thought well maybe 100 years from now if a team goes on a tear they could possible surpass them. So I left it off. But right now, the Yanks are bad azz with that record. Who's 2nd, anyone know with how many World Series titles?

yankees have 26, the cardinals are next with 9

personally I hope the Stankees never win another game let alone a world series

Naz, I almost mentioned the Yankee's. What 26 or 27 time World Champions but when I thought about it, I thought well maybe 100 years from now if a team goes on a tear they could possible surpass them. So I left it off. But right now, the Yanks are bad azz with that record. Who's 2nd, anyone know with how many World Series titles?
Who's 2nd? That's a very good question and I have no idea, I'll have to look that one up.

**** edit ****
PJ thanks for the answer... St.Louis has a ways to go to catch up.
:)

I didnt realize it was the Cardinals and I didnt know they were that far behind. Well maybe the Yanks will always have it, but who knows.

Wayne Gretzky - numerous records but 215 points in 1 season, 92 goals in one season, 163 assists in one season
Montreal Canadians - 5 cups in a row
Glenn Hall - consecutive games by a goalie (can't remember the number, but it is over 500 I think.)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back