Smith lands in quarters in norwalk (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]NORWALK, Ohio (June 28, 2009) - Matt Smith rode the Nitro Fish Ultimate Gear Suzuki Pro Stock Motorcycle to a quarterfinal finish today at the NHRA Nationals at Summit Motorsports Park.

Smith, who qualified No. 5, first defeated No. 12 qualifier Junior Pippin in the opening round with a solid 7.049-second pass at 189.04 mph, then met his demise in the second round against Matt Guidera when he clocked a negative .005 reaction time, disqualifying his excellent 7.054/187.50 run. Guidera suffered a mechanical problem and slowed to a 7.797/127.76 winning pass.

"I wasn't even trying to push the tree at all," said Smith, who is now third in the PSM point standings. "I knew Matt was hurt because he got up there real late. I just wanted to go .04 or .03, like I did first round, and it went negative double 05. I don't know what to say. I feel so bad for the team, for Don (Schumacher, team owner), for Steve (Tartaglia, crew chief), for (crew men) Jason (Jones) and Tom (Patsis).

"It was very disappointing, because the Suzuki is finally running great."

Smith also helped his fiancee Angie McBride to get to the semifinals in the Matt Smith Racing Buell. "I've kind of had my head on straight this weekend because I've been tuning Angie's bike. As a rider I feel better when I do that."

Next up for the Pro Stock Motorcycle class is the Mopar Mile-High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway in Morrison, Colo., July 10-12.

UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS, after seven of 17 events:
1. Eddie Krawiec, 624 (runner-up today)
2. Andrew Hines, 554 (winner today)
3. Matt Smith, 506
4. Craig Treble, 459
5. Douglas Horne, 454
6. Matt Guidera, 412
7. Hector Arana, 394
8. Shawn Gann, 325
9. Karen Stoffer, 319
10. Steve Johnson, 307

Ways To Support Nitromater