Smith and Rivas Ready to Dominate at Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Smith and Rivas Ready to Dominate at Sonoma

Extending his points lead by winning in Denver last time out, Matt Smith and his Torco Race Fuels Buell are headed to Sonoma this weekend looking to dominate once again.

Sonoma is not only remembered in Smith’s mind as beautiful, but memorable as well. Smith brings some emotional memories with him this weekend at Infineon Raceway. Last year at the track, Smith had his first and only encounter with Eric Medlen.

“My former teammate Chip Ellis won in Sonoma last year, and he was sharing the winner’s circle interview with Eric Medlen,” said Smith. “Eric wanted to play the guitar and sing a song, but he didn’t have a pick. I got one out of my Oakley shoes and gave it to Eric so that he could play. He gave it back to me a little after that race. I knew right then and there that there was something special about him. Eric was one in a million and I will forever remember that moment.”

Another reason Infineon is so special to Smith is because this is the track that his dad (Rickie Smith) captured his first NHRA win with in 1993.

“Dad got his first NHRA Wally here in ’93,” said Smith. “It would be awesome to win at the same track that dad won on. He is definitely someone I look up to, so to get a win here would be big in my books.”

So far Smith has become the only Pro Stock Motorcycle rider to clinch a spot in the Countdown to the Championship. Knowing that he has a set in stone spot is somewhat of a relief to Smith at this point in the season. However with his Torco teammate, Chris Rivas hanging on in the seventh spot, Smith knows there is still a lot of work to be done in the next few races.

“We are excited to have a spot so that we can run for the POWERade Championship,” said Smith. “But right now we need to focus on helping Chris stay in the top-eight. This is definitely one of the hardest classes in the NHRA and with three races left to fight for those spots it is going to be tough, but we are up for the challenge.”

With only 20 points (one round of racing) separating the seventh position through the tenth position in the Pro Stock Motorcycle POWERade points, this class may just be the most competitive in the series.

“I know what this team is capable of doing,” said Rivas. “Matt’s bike and my bike are pretty much about the same for the most part. The only difference is that I can’t really push it like Matt can because we don’t have an extra motor on my bike. We are doing all we can right now to stay in the top-eight. Hopefully this weekend we can gain some ground in Sonoma. I would love nothing more than to give Evan a win.”

Rivas and Smith last year ran in each other in round one at Sonoma. This year they are hoping to be at the top of the board and avoid that situation if at all possible this weekend at the 20th annual Fram-Autolite NHRA Nationals at Infineon Raceway.

Evan Knoll, founder of Knoll Gas-Torco Racing Fuels and a major sponsor of motorsports, has dedicated himself to bringing high quality racing fuel to every aspect of motorsports. When Evan is not spending time with his daughters you will find him following one of his many-sponsored race teams. Evan is a loyal family man and an avid drag racing fan.

The company also offers commercial and racing oils and lubes; SKULL Shine, a complete line of car care products; SKULL Gear, a complete line of apparel, traction compound, and racing-related accessories.

For more information on Torco Racing Fuels, SKULL Shine Car Care Products and SKULL Gear apparel, please visit: www.torcoracefuels.com or www.torco.com.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back