Shields Wins Divisional Battle But Loses Early in Eliminations (1 Viewer)

GAINESVILLE FL - It was a weekend of mixed results for Duane Shields at the Tire Kingdom NHRA Gatornationals. Shields driving the Shortline Express A/Fuel Dragster actually had two races in one weekend as the final round of the Division 2 event from South Georgia Motorsports Park was also contested in addition to the Gatornationals.

For Shields, the best part of the weekend happened during qualifying where he once again qualified on the pole with a sizzling 5.20 at 274 MPH. Then on Saturday, the Divisional 2 final round was contested where Shields won his second race of the season. Shields’ final round opponent was Randy Meyer. Meyer got off the line first with an 0.027 to Shields’ 0.097. Meyer then rattled the tires which opened the door for Shields to take the win with a 5.43 at 271 MPH to Meyer’s 5.57 at 246 MPH. “I had to peddle it as we began to battle the track conditions but it was a good win” Shields said.

Everything was going Shields’ way up until the first round of eliminations where Shields hoped to win his third Gatornationals crown. Shields opponent was Jerry Powell who got off the starting line first with a 0.044 to Shields’ 0.129. “I was a little off on my staging as Powell uses a torque converter and a Trans break and I’m not really use to that” Shields said. During the run Shields had to peddle the car and was unable to play catch up with Powell who scored the win on a hole shot.

Powell recorded a 5.50 at 255 MPH to Shields’ quicker 5.46 at 271 MPH. I struggled with the transition and had to peddle it. But, if I had a better light it wouldn’t have mattered as we would have won the round” Shields noted.

While the outcome wasn’t what the Shortline Express team had expected, they still came out of Gaineville as the top qualifier but more importantly scored a divisional win. “I’m OK with how the weekend went as we did win the divisional so we’re fifty-fifty” Shields concluded. As always, the team wants to thank their great sponsors Hussey Copper and NGK Spark Plugs for all of their support.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back