Scelzi Unloads (1 Viewer)

I guess thats been the great debate over there. Seems as through Ray Alley like to glue the piss out of the track and Dan Olsen doesn't.

I don't care if they glue it or not...just so long as they are consistent with what they do.

The tuning window for these cars is very narrow. Maybe it's time for NHRA to add another night session(like IHRA has) or eliminate the night qualifiers all together. That would even things out either way.

I spent most of my day yesterday just being a spectator and not much time in the fuel pits, but I'd be curious to know the condition of the tires after the teams made their runs. I'd be will to bet most didn't have pieces missing out of them.

This would explain a lot about what has been a crazy season. Heard some time ago that there was "friction" between NHRA and local track crews.

This would explain a lot about what has been a crazy season. Heard some time ago that there was "friction" between NHRA and local track crews.

Well, Route 66 does an excellent job of preparing their race track. We would absolutely have no problem with taking our car down there to test.

I do remember reading a Jack Beckman press release about renewing his top fuel lic. at IRP. It said they had trouble making the correct call on the dragster and the track was in poor condition....well hell, NHRA owns that one!

I believe the NHRA preps the tracks for the national events.

I can tell you Kenny Bernstien was the only guy to make it all the way down the track during Friday afternoon qualifying. The Pro Stocks were having trouble as well.

BTW, Tom Hammonds really impressed me Friday night. He really had to drive the car and took the long way around to get in the show. He was out of the groove and kept the pedal to the metal.

I agree with Tony about adding another night session. I think its only fair b/c especially in PS and PSM if you miss the Fri night session you could be screwed. I would say two or none but I really like nitro at night time so I say add another. I love the header flames and I think thats what hooks alot of new fans.

In the summer months, sometimes those Friday night sessions are setting the field for Sunday. One shot, one chance to get it right. What's the solution? Change all the races to run at night? Change the season around so we're not running in the summer?? I agree with what Scelzi said - it's changed. But WHAT has changed? Technology? The cars are faster, the parts are better, the tuners know more, the weather changes, the track surfaces change over the years. I don't think there is one all-mighty solution. It's racing, physics, gambling and guessing all rolled into one nitro-soaked ball. This is how it is.

Seems that some very Top teams had problems , qualifing in the bottom 8 or missing the cut altogether. But thats been the case in the past few weeks. With Force and Capps and Grubie and Kalitta and more. This weekend did seem worse. On Sat. if you were not in, you had little chance of getting in at all , much less trying for number one slot.

Hasn't it added some suspense and excitment to qualifying? It seems that at every race there is a chance that any of the teams might not qualify.

I have been present when Goodyear has told NHRA officials that over prepping the track was leading to tire chunking. So if lack of track prep is helping the tire situation, I am all for it. And I don't know for sure if it is as I am not there. And I don't know for sure today's procedures for track prep, as again I am not there.

But I am enjoying the "racing" on TV, because everyone has a chance. And I am all for eliminating the night runs, as they are not representitive of the conditions on race day.

I don't think that aborted run after aborted run is exactly exciting to fans. I would think they'd like to see more consistent runs and actual full-passes. I understand that different tracks are going to pose different problems, and that part is fine. But if the track is so far gone that only one car can make it down, then that's no longer good racing or a good show for fans.

Careful Jim...some of the overly loyal NHRA members won't like your criticism. I know from personal experience. Last week's first round of Pro Stock was a disaster...seven of eight winners from the left lane. The lone right lane winner had a solo...

If I had millions invested in a race team and was only given a one lane track, or a situation where I only had once qualfying round to hit my setup, I'd be soooo pi$$ed at NHRA... This is probably a key reason that qualifying counts are lower than ever. Underfunded teams know they only have one shot (Friday night) or one lane to qualify. Crazy....

I'll take the word of drivers over the excuses from the Glendora loyal...

Careful Jim...some of the overly loyal NHRA members won't like your criticism. I know from personal experience. Last week's first round of Pro Stock was a disaster...seven of eight winners from the left lane. The lone right lane winner had a solo...

If I had millions invested in a race team and was only given a one lane track, or a situation where I only had once qualfying round to hit my setup, I'd be soooo pi$$ed at NHRA... This is probably a key reason that qualifying counts are lower than ever. Underfunded teams know they only have one shot (Friday night) or one lane to qualify. Crazy....

Uh Oh! I knew I was in trouble when it appeared Tony was agreeing with me! I hope this doesn't ruin my perfect record of never having pi$$ed off anyone here - :(
But seriously, this was very briefly mentioned on the prerace show. Should be interesting to see if track prep issues go away at the next race.

I don't see a whole lot of members backing NHRA here, John..unless something happened since I was gone for 3 days.

It appears track prep has changed between Ray & Dan..but they have to get a handle on making the lanes close to being the same. Winning & losing shouldn't come down to the lane you're in.

i believe Scelzi's quote to Alan over the PA system after first round today was something to the effect of "Well they must have let the Route 66 crew prep the track this morning...." :confused:

After watching qualifing Sat. we were wondering If they were going to rename the race the 1/8 mile nationals.

I guess thats been the great debate over there. Seems as through Ray Alley like to glue the piss out of the track and Dan Olsen doesn't.

Just wondering...

Could this be the method NHRA has decided to use to slow the cars down? They know the teams will eventually get the tuneup right so they can make a full pass. But they will have to slow down to do it, as they won't have a track that will take a 4.4x/330+ tuneup.

If under-prepping a track gets us sessions like Saturday's early one, you can have it! I was told as Tony eluded too, that Rt. 66 prepped the track for sunday. What a difference!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back