Russ Collins Jr to restore Sorcerer TF Bike (1 Viewer)

Sorcerer

Nitro Member
Russ Collins Jr. to restore “Sorcerer” Top Fuel Bike

Russ Collins Jr., son of Hall of Fame drag racer and motorsports guru, Russ Collins, will revive the venerable twin engine fueler to its “original set up”.
Collins took possession of the Sorcerer a few weeks ago and is in the process of working through the incredible detail of a nut and bolt restoration.
“It took me years to get the nerve up, to just ask my Dad for the bike.” Jr. reflects: It such a personal thing, 11 year record holder, NHRA Best Engineered Award, you just don’t ask for the keys. I was raised to “build my own”.
With the help of San Diego’s finest shops, RC Jr. has played in the shadows of motorcycle drag racing over the past 30 years. His current obsession is the quickest pro street, one liter bike in the west, sponsored by Lee’s Cycle. “I’ve run it all, except nitro, from brackets to nitrous, car tire rides, turbo charged and all motor, pro street rides”. With a shelf full of trophies including an NHRA “Wally”, I’d say nothing that I have ridden would prepare me for what’s about to occur…the violent, adrenalin pumping ride that only a blown, top fuel motor can deliver.

Collins took a ride up the coast from San Diego to LA to visit his Dad at RC Engineering. My Dad told me to “bring the trailer”.

I brought my long time friend and now “Team Sorcerer” Project Manager, Kevin Weisenstein and his “bigger trailer” for the visit and I brought home not only the “Sorcerer” but the “Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe”, the world’s first 7 second motorcycle.
The Sorcerer will be a runner over the coming year and the Triple is next on the list. Weisenstein has been acting Program Manager on the rebuild and a number of local San Diego go fast shops and hot rod enthusiasts are sponsoring the effort. They include Lee’s Cycle, Racer’s Machine, Hartcorn Construction and MDR. “We have some associate sponsors on board but there is always room for a major player in a project of this magnitude” Jr. will be tapping into the industry to check for interest in supporting a ‘show and go” national tour.
“It’s been a long time coming and I can’t wait to get a hand full of throttle on this incredible work of art.” Russ Sr. will be on hand for the final button up, tune up and running.
For the uninitiated, this will be quite a show. For the old school folks, it will take you back to the hay days of fuel bike revelry.

sorcerersmoke.jpg

Good Luck! That's a *****in' photo! Good to see a Japanese motorcycle run with the Harleys. Gota love the smell of nitro!!!

.....Man, I've seen both the older triple and the Sorcerer run and they were both machines to remember !!!..........As awesome as the triple was, it was seeing the Sorcerer run at the old Ontario Motor Speedway during one of the finals that was really a mindblower.........Both the nitro cackle and the way that bike blasted down the track were a sight to behold..........I'm really glad to hear that people who missed it back then will get a chance to see it, heck both of them again !!!........................E

Eric....those runs at OMS will never be forgotten by those in attendance. I was the tire wiper and from my view that was hell of a long 7.32 seconds to see that MPH flash....199.55. Eleven years before anyone would back up those kind of #s and all the inspiration I need to getrdone!

Lot's of debate over which sounded better. 12 cylinders NA injected vs. 8 cylinders blown...kind of a toss up.

RCjr.

75summernats01.jpg

It would be nice to have TF bike at national NHRA events.

At least a couple of burnouts...the plan for my family is to have both of the bikes run side by side...Now that would be very cool noise. If you have ever heard the bikes...you know what I mean. That would be 20 cylinders of nitro coming out of the water box.

To be honest I'd be lucky get NHRA to allow this as they banned fuel bikes long ago...depends on where you want to run.

These are destined for the March Meet for sure or any Nostalgia event nationwide.

RCjr.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back