Ron Capps Motorsports Pre-Race Report: Topeka (1 Viewer)

Capps logo.jpg

NHRA Topeka Pre-Race Report
Menards NHRA Nationals

Presented by PetArmor
Event 13 of 21
Heartland Motorsports Park
Topeka, Kan.
Aug. 11-13, 2023

RON CAPPS: Driver of the NAPA Auto Parts Toyota GR Supra Funny Car
2023-08-09_16-30-21.jpg

Menards NHRA Nationals presented by PetArmor Event Highlights:
Four-time event champion (1998, 2006, 2009, 2017)
Two-time runner-up (2000, 2012)
2022 Menards NHRA Nationals presented by PetArmor Event Recap:
Qualified ninth; Quarterfinal finish (defeated Tim Wilkerson in E1; defeated by John Force in E2)
Last Event (Sonoma):
Qualified third; Semifinal finish (defeated Tim Gibbons in E1, Robert Hight in E2; defeated by Chad Green in E3)
2023 Statistics:
12 races; one win, three runner-up finishes, one No. 1 qualifier
Career Statistics:
620 races; 74 wins, 37 No. 1 qualifiers
Noteworthy:
Capps will be looking to score two trophies this week. Before the NHRA race weekend gets underway, Capps will make his SRX debut at Eldora Speedway Thursday night. Capps is the first NHRA drag racer to compete in the SRX series.
A 74-time NHRA national event champion, Capps is seeking his milestone 75th Wally trophy in Topeka
Begins the weekend ranked second in the Funny Car point standings and is within one round win of reclaiming the points lead
By advancing beyond the quarterfinals in Sonoma, Capps secured a spot in the Topeka #2Fast2Tasty Challenge presented by Mission Foods
Fan Events:
Saturday, Aug. 12, 12:00 – 12:30 p.m., #2Fast2Tasty driver autograph session at Mission Foods midway display
Quotable:
“Any time you go to a race track for the last time it’s never great but I’m fortunate enough to have had a lot of history at Heartland Park Topeka over the years, especially early in my career when I used to go there as a crew member. Some fans may not remember, we actually used to go to Heartland Park Topeka twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Obviously, the history tells the tale. Records were set there pretty much every year we went. It’s a fantastic race track in the heart of the country with a lot of race fans that come from all over the place, and I’m sure we’ll see that again this weekend.
"We surely don’t want to think about how this will be the last time that we’re there. I always brag about the city of Topeka and how inviting and how well they’ve treated us throughout the years; hotels, restaurants, whatever it might be, and especially all of our fans. With all of that being said, that Wally that’ll have Heartland Park Topeka on it is going to be very coveted. To be able to win the last race there would be big. The NAPA Supra has been great so far this season and I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t have a shot at it, so we’re definitely going to be trying to get that last trophy.”

About Ron Capps Motorsports
Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and three-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team made its on-track debut in 2022 and competes on the 21-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA Auto Parts, Toyota, and GearWrench.
Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history with 73 wins in the category. His 74 overall wins (1 Top Fuel) rank sixth amongst NHRA’s four premier classes. The 2023 NHRA season marks Capps’ 29th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back