Ron Capps Motorsports Pre-Race Report: Brainerd (1 Viewer)

Capps logo.jpg

NHRA Brainerd Pre-Race Report
Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals

Event 14 of 21
Brainerd International Raceway
Brainerd, Minn.
Aug. 18 – 20, 2023

RON CAPPS: Driver of the NAPA Auto Parts Toyota GR Supra Funny Car
2023-08-16_16-24-58.jpg

NHRA Brainerd Nationals Event Highlights:
Six-time event champion (1998, 2001, 2012-2014, 2019)
Four-time runner-up (1997, 2009, 2011, 2022)
2000 No. 1 qualifier
2022 NHRA Brainerd Nationals Event Recap:
Qualified fourth; Event runner-up (defeated John Force in E1, Bobby Bode in E2, Alexis DeJoria in E3; defeated by Bob Tasca in E4)
Last Event (Topeka):
Qualified No. 2; Quarterfinal finish (defeated Dave Richards in E1; defeated by J.R. Todd in E2)
2023 Statistics:
13 races; one win, three runner-up finishes, one No. 1 qualifier
Career Statistics:
621 races; 74 wins, 37 No. 1 qualifiers

Noteworthy:
Raced to a runner-up finish at the 2022 event
A 74-time NHRA national event champion, Capps is seeking his milestone 75th Wally trophy in Brainerd
Begins the weekend ranked second in the Funny Car point standings and is within two round wins of reclaiming the points lead
Quotable:
“I always circle this race on the schedule every year for several reasons. Brainerd has always been close to home for me. My wife’s family grew up there and it’s sort of a family reunion. On top of that, it’s really where I started my career. Brainerd was where, as a crew member, I started up a conversation with John Mitchell, who saw something in me and then turned around and gave me an opportunity to get my license in his Top Alcohol Dragster. I ended up becoming the driver of his A/Fuel Dragster, and that really kick started my career as a driver.
“Throughout the years I’ve had unbelievable success at Brainerd. It’s such a fun event. Everyone talks about the Zoo, but it’s just a race track that knows how to welcome its fans, and knows how to put on an event. People spend months and months preparing and taking their vacation the week of the Brainerd race. Our NHRA fans in that area are rabid. Not to mention, this is the part of the season when everyone’s thinking ahead. The Countdown isn’t that far away and you certainly want to have your race car Countdown-ready by the time you get to Brainerd.”

About Ron Capps Motorsports
Established in 2021, Ron Capps Motorsports is a single-car NHRA Funny Car team owned and operated by reigning and three-time world champion Ron Capps. Headquartered in Brownsburg, Ind., the team made its on-track debut in 2022 and competes on the 21-race NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series circuit thanks to the support of NAPA Auto Parts, Toyota, and GearWrench.
Capps, who serves as both the owner and driver of his namesake operation, is the second-winningest Funny Car pilot in NHRA history with 73 wins in the category. His 74 overall wins (1 Top Fuel) rank sixth amongst NHRA’s four premier classes. The 2023 NHRA season marks Capps’ 29th year competing in the sport’s professional ranks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back