Richard Freeman in Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

So, FSS is in the 7's and PS is in the 6.'s
If you were to take the existing FSS engine and put in a PS which is 1000 lbs lighter what would it run??.
1000lbs, 1 second faster?? old rule of thumb 1/10 per 100 lbs.
This is what Alan Johnson suggested so at least there would be a reasonable resemblance to "stock".

Ken,
I guess it depends on which part of "Stock" is most important to you. The Factory Stock cars connect with the fans because of how they look, a fan can see one and think, "That's just like my car" The Pro Stock and Factory Stock engines are closer in output than most people would believe. but what's most important, the car or the engine?

As Always, this is just my opinion.

Alan

For me personally, I just think it's time to move on. And when I say that, I don't necessarily mean to imply that "moving on" means get rid of the current Pro Stock class altogether. Like I said, if the class can support itself through sponsorship, fan interest and what I should've added earlier (enough brazillionaires) then let them. The class showcases a tremendous amount of innovation and savvy when you consider what they do.

FSS, like it or not, is the new Pro Stock, whether it's branded as such or not. I believe you move forward with this platform, brand it Pro Stock and usher in a new era. There will be many that will say that these guys, like the Pro Mod guys can't or won't run that many events, but that's okay! Giving the class Pro status doesn't necessarily mean they should just have to be a part of all the races by default. It's time to learn something. And what we've learned over the past year or two is more and more teams are citing the operational and travel costs as being the major factors in the balance sheet issues year-to-year. If that's the case, then cut back on the races..............for all classes. If that's what's needed to inject a little life and health back into the sport, then again, let's learn something and do it. But as for FSS, they need to be elevated to the highest status possible to not only give the manufacturers an arena to showcase their stuff, but to remain interested in our sport. Then, as has been discussed before, the onus will be on the NHRA to keep what has happened to the current Pro Stock platform from happening to FSS. KEEP them running factory combinations and bodies. KEEP them on a small tire. This class absolutely DOES NOT NEED to evolve to mid 6-second, 210 Mph machines to remain interesting. Especially on a small tire. They're never going to be "affordable" to run for the average joe, but there's no reason for them to evolve to a class where the aforementioned brazillioinaires are the select few able to run them. Especially if they're mandating the competitors run factory offered combinations, which literally change seemingly as much as one changes socks. There's certainly some middle ground in there somewhere.

Just my .02

Sean D

Back to Freeman....glad to see another face (and a Mustang) on the track, although Freeman isn't exactly new to PS. Rolled my eyes at his .160 light against Erica, but oh well. Wasn't unexpected. The vast majority of fans have no idea what a DRCE engine is and that one is under the hood of Freeman's car, so no problem there.

Back to Freeman....glad to see another face (and a Mustang) on the track, although Freeman isn't exactly new to PS. Rolled my eyes at his .160 light against Erica, but oh well. Wasn't unexpected. The vast majority of fans have no idea what a DRCE engine is and that one is under the hood of Freeman's car, so no problem there.

Ferri pretty much spelled it out for everybody, including myself over on the Bullet that there's really no reason to get caught up in GM this, Ford that, Mopar this when it comes to modern day Pro Stock......... He said that these engines have evolved to a point where they embody the best of what each combination has offered over the years, along with what the engine builders themselves have been able to design to work well in this platform, and that if they were all spread out in pieces side-by-side, the vast majority of people wouldn't even know what they were in regards to any of the Big 3 manufacturers.

That said, I say bring on whatever bodies seem to work well. It will help the class from an aesthetic standpoint not watching all the same stuff go down the track.

Sean D

His .160 light would normally be suspect, except he had a .198 light in the previous round.

Ken,
I guess it depends on which part of "Stock" is most important to you. The Factory Stock cars connect with the fans because of how they look, a fan can see one and think, "That's just like my car" The Pro Stock and Factory Stock engines are closer in output than most people would believe. but what's most important, the car or the engine?

As Always, this is just my opinion.

Alan

My thought process back when AJ brought this up was to keep all 3 manufacturers involved. Now we have FSS the best of both worlds. Cars look like what are on the lot with the available power plants.

What is really cool about FSS is that they have supercharged engines. You watch them come to the line, and you hear the engine, whomp, whomp, whomp as the idles up to stage. THAT is what I like about the class. Yes, it does remind me of the old A/gas Supercharged cars from years ago. There is nothing like a door car with a blown motor....

I thought the car looked beautiful in person and made some really great runs. By my highly unofficial record keeping, that was the first time a Ford had been in round 2 in Pro Stock since the 2014 Winternationals....... Quite the dry spell. If Alan Reinhart is right in his hinting that Erica could be taking the wheel, then we might get to see the first blue oval win since 1995!

sounded like freeman was kinda showcasing the ride for sale to any takers. they should also build and race a dodge to make amends for that disastrous year they had in 2016 with mopar :p

I thought the car looked beautiful in person and made some really great runs. By my highly unofficial record keeping, that was the first time a Ford had been in round 2 in Pro Stock since the 2014 Winternationals....... Quite the dry spell. If Alan Reinhart is right in his hinting that Erica could be taking the wheel, then we might get to see the first blue oval win since 1995!

See, to me, it's not a Ford any more than Force's old Funny Cars were Fords. It's just an off-pace funny car sponsored by Ford. May as well call it a Hyundai. I love the tech, I think the drivers and crews are amazing, but let's stop the charade of saying they are Chevy or Ford or whatever. They're just "cars"

See, to me, it's not a Ford any more than Force's old Funny Cars were Fords. It's just an off-pace funny car sponsored by Ford. May as well call it a Hyundai. I love the tech, I think the drivers and crews are amazing, but let's stop the charade of saying they are Chevy or Ford or whatever. They're just "cars"
Sponsored is the wrong word..."Ford bodied" or "wearing a Ford-ish body" may be a better choice.