Rear ended by a funny car... (1 Viewer)

There are only a handful of people in the world that have been rear ended by a funny car. (Jeff Arend, Scotty Cannon, Ron Correnti, Paul Smith, Tony Bartone to name a few) Add this poor guy to the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_gxxRVG7Fmk

FF to :40

That type of funny car should not have even been fired up until the cars in front of him were down the track....WTF were they thinking. Track officials are at fault just as much as that team and their crew.

Seems like some kind of mechanical failure, no?

Isn't it S.O.P. to do the water box while another car is staging?

That looked like some kind of a blown Plymouth GTX TS car.....? :confused:

Not that it matters; still a senseless and expensive accident.

Typically the faster cars, especially blown FCs and dragsters, don't even start until the track is clear.

It could be blown, not saying it's not. All I do know is the starting area officials never should have let him start it until the track was clear.

It could be blown, not saying it's not. All I do know is the starting area officials never should have let him start it until the track was clear.

I couldn't agree more. The faster cars of that type don't need to be fired up sitting behind 11-12 second door cars trying to stage. :eek:

Makes me wonder if they were trying to just turn it over prior and it fired off, body dropped and it launched forward.

Maybe one day we'll hear the whole story.

I can see it's a flopper now; the first video wasn't real clear. Sounds just like any other blown TAFC doing a burnout....except there was a black Mustang sitting in the way of it.

Are we sure he was doing a "burn out"? IF this was a newer driver and he was watching his crew as he was approaching the water box (as he should have) the crew should have waved him off, but even before that, his crew should have never fired that car. An experienced driver would have never proceeded...or at least I would hope not.

Things like this happen to experienced drivers too:

2013 Cavalcade of Funny Cars - Geezers Reunion Halstead Incident Candies and Hughes Nitro Funny Car - YouTube

Driver's POV:

Maple Grove 2013 - YouTube

Last edited:
To be fair....I just red that the owner/crew chief waved him in to start his burn out. And the driver's name is......Gord Smart....:eek: (not a joke)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back