Reaction formula for nitormethane (1 Viewer)

.... propane would account for the blue flame.
That's not correct , when the Nitromethane is created in the reaction chamber four chemicals are produced 1-Nitropropane ,2-Nitropropane ,Nitroethane ,and Nitromethane...
The two propane products are used for fertilizer among other things and the Nitroethane is also used for manufacturing other chemical products... Nitromethane has to be distilled to get the various purity's from 70/30 to 99.95 for the fine pharmaceuticals market...
Some people sell 99.0% for drag racing, it has more water & nitric acid than the 99.5 -99.95% that we get from Wego for drag racing...

Ester Homolysis? She was the home coming queen for auto shop.

I am no expert on nitromethane, it's properties or what's left over after it's run through an engine. But I will tell you that once the throttle opens and full combustion begins, the burning of eyes stops. I agree with Chris Cook, the unburned stuff is nasty.......in a good kind of way.....

Last edited:
Boy, did this topic bring out the organic chemesty grads!
Enlightening stuff. Yrs truly wishes MORE of Nitromater was an exchange of solid, no - nonsense engineering discussion. (I know, it CAN also put one to sleep).

It's a GREAT fansite, but the hardcore stuff seem to have no home.

That's not correct , when the Nitromethane is created in the reaction chamber four chemicals are produced 1-Nitropropane ,2-Nitropropane ,Nitroethane ,and Nitromethane...
The two propane products are used for fertilizer among other things and the Nitroethane is also used for manufacturing other chemical products... Nitromethane has to be distilled to get the various purity's from 70/30 to 99.95 for the fine pharmaceuticals market...
Some people sell 99.0% for drag racing, it has more water & nitric acid than the 99.5 -99.95% that we get from Wego for drag racing...

I wish you didn't have to sign that NDA and you could tell us what is really going on instead of what is NOT going on... :)

Re: Reaction formula for nitromethane

I thought this was how people react to nitromethane. ;)
Chemistry was not one of my stronger classes in college.
I was going to say it makes my eyes water, my nose burn, and I absolutely love it.

Made some progress. Incomplete combustion of CH3NO2 more than likely
produces NO2. And water is also present in the combustion chamber
(by-product of combustion). These two combine in certain ways and nitric
acid is the outcome. Also produced is NO, which, along with NO2, is a key
ingredient in the making of smog. Which explains the brownish/yellowish
haze surrounding a nitro burning car that is warming up.

How does the fuel react during combusion when applied to blown verse unblown applications?

How does the fuel react during combusion when applied to blown verse unblown applications?

The reaction formulas are still the same for blown and unblown. But the air
fuel ratio in a top fuel dragster is 1:1, where the ratio in a a/fuel car is closer
to 2:1 (I suspect). I would conclude from this that there is more incomplete
combustion in a top fuel dragster than a an a/fuel dragster. As I have never
been around an a/fueler that is warming up, hopefully someone here can
tell you if the haze off of an a/fuel dragster is worse, just as "bad", or better
than the haze off of a top fuel dragster.

Last edited:
Don't bet your engine on that number.

The burden of proof is now on me. I'll see if I can find the reference I read that states the normal air to fuel ratio for nitro is 2:1 (actually, 1.7:1) and that
the fuelers run more like 1:1 for the cooling effect of the fuel.

The burden of proof is now on me. I'll see if
I can find the reference I read that states the normal air to fuel ratio for nitro
is 2:1 (actually, 1.7:1) and that the fuelers run more like 1:1 for the cooling
effect of the fuel.

I have lost my reference. I do know that for complete combustion of nitro, its
takes 1.7 lbs of air to 1 lb of fuel. Since we know the cars run rich, the air fuel
ratio has to be less than 1.7:1. Maybe it isn't 1:1, but it is pretty rich.

... closer to 1:1 for the cooling effect of the extra fuel...
I think this is more during the idling time , that's why we run a High/Low pressure system...
At wide open throttle the exhaust temps are 1000+ degrees hotter (1600) ...
We still throw some extra out the pipes at WOT, but not like at staging...

I think what some people may be overlooking on the 1:1 deal is that the 1:1 ratio is by WEIGHT, not volume. How much air does it take to weigh a pound???

LOTS!

Then it begins to make a lot more sense...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back