PSM Parity (1 Viewer)

One reason why you might see a V-Twin maintaining performance when on a slippery track when the 4 cylinders are slowing down more, is the fact the firing order of the 4 cylinder is much smoother, with little to no time interrupted between power pulses, when the tire is struck because of the firing order and smoothness of application of power it will continue to spin.

The 60 degree V-Twin however has a extreme amount of time between power pulses, (read this as recovery time). Cylinder fires, then a couple of degrees later the next one fires, then a century later the cycle begins again. The time the crank takes to get to the next firing cycle is sufficient for the tire to remain stuck to the track.

Look at the black mark left after a 4 vs. twin.

Hill climbs, dirt tracks, and other motorcycle sports a V-Twin or a parallel twin seem to be able to stay stuck better than the constant powered 4 cylinder motors.

Has anyone tried making a 4 cylinder fire like a twin?

Sandbagging, anybody and everybody that has been in front has done and will continue to practice the fine art of only winning by a little.

s.r.

Don't know about in drag racing, but in moto GP Honda had their "Big Bang" motor that fired all four cylinders within 70 degrees of crankshaft rotation. I believe the current yamaha moto GP motor is a "long bang" where it fires 3 in rapid succession and then one after a little longer pause. Both are for the exact reason you stated (giving the tire more time to regain traction).

Yamaha did this in MotoGP, and now on the production R1. I think it's called a crossplane crank. Each crank pin is 90 degrees from the next, and uses an uneven firing interval of 270-180-90-180. I don't know how much power the PS Suzuki's make but the MotoGP bikes are up around 230-240 from 800cc's.

Andrew was quicker at Sonoma 4 years ago then they were this weekend.

Seems like rules changes etc... have succeed in keeping the Hines motors in check.

There have been rules changes to help the 4 cylinders become more competitive with the twins. For some teams these rules and weight changes have been moderately beneficial, sadly the sport is yet to see any real advancement.

Have the R and D efforts for the other teams been that badly taxed they have not been able to increase their own programs to be on a more level field after 4 years?

One teams success should not punished because of other teams lack of the aforementioned.

s.r.

not knowing much about the bikes, i have to ask, if these Harley's have such an advantage, how come nobody else has attempted to build one. V & H have been the only team racing these bikes for about 4 or 5 years now, and i figure why not just resort to the ol' ' if ya cant beat'em, join'em ' theory ???

V&H I think have the rights to the harley bikes. There have been people whating to buy a harley but nobody can afford 2 million dollars. You can buy a buell for around 130,000 thousand and a suzuki for less. I think in the nhra hand book the bikes are to by sold at fair market valve and 2 million is not fair valve.V&H does not want nobody to have a harley. This is what I think.

simple solution. if all the non-harley drivers think it is not fair, then boycott. sure you will miss some races, but it is counterproductive to participate in something you think is rigged against you and then complain about it afterward. unite and let nhra explain to the fans why there are only 2 competitors. until there is a boycott, we can assume the non-harley riders are not serious about the severity of the "parity" issue.

You can get Angie McBride's Buell for $70,000 dyno'd and race ready. Rumor has it, you can get a Harley for $300,000.

Angie's buell was a use bike 2 or 3 years old and if you can buy a race ready harley just has Andrew rides for 300,000 thousand you should buy 3 or 4 for and sell them because you can make some big money because I would buy the first one for 20,000 thousand dollars more. That is why it is a RUMOR!!!!!!!!!

Angie's buell was a use bike 2 or 3 years old and if you can buy a race ready harley just has Andrew rides for 300,000 thousand you should buy 3 or 4 for and sell them because you can make some big money because I would buy the first one for 20,000 thousand dollars more. That is why it is a RUMOR!!!!!!!!!

The majority of the bikes out there aren't new so, I'll go out on a limb and say Angie's bike, as sold, would be at the very least, a potential solid qualifier. It is a documented 6.90 bike. Right on the index.

Who has made a documented and legit $320,000.00 offer for a Harley and been turned down? Closest I've heard is Matt Smith posting he'd buy an old bikes and or motor, but I'll speculate that no offer was actually made. Having said that, Mike, if you've got the cheddar, make the offer. Make the response public. At that point, rumor becomes fact. Until then, it's "RUMOR!!!!!!!!!", not because of the reason you stated, but, because of the actual lack tangible fact.

Last edited:
Don't know how much I can help with the whole rumor mill thing, but when Antron and I were racing for DSR and the US Army. The Army wanted us on Harleys. You know,.. cuz of the "American Made" moto. Well anyway, as I understand it, the Army did contact the appropriate people to make the offer to obtain a couple of those Harleys. I am not sure what numbers were passed between the two parties, but I can tell you that the Army spent A LOT of money on our team but they were NOT willing to spend the asking price for those Harleys. That's the only info I was given.

Just a tid bit of info for you guys.

Well Let Andrew or Eddie tell us what they will sell the bikes for.... I don't care if it's the old ones from last year or new one's now..... Lets see the prices???? Lets see how fair the motorcycle class is now.....

Well just for the record you two are plane NUTTY for riding those two wheeled machines. Well except you Angelle. Yer purdy!

Hey Johnny what is your comment about the harley price know, sents Matt & Angelle have wrote on the subject. Maybe im not so dumb after all. Plus there has been two more teams wanting to buy harleys, one before buell was built & one just after buell was built & they own 2 harley dealerships & they could not get one. It is all about the price,

I don't believe that. It will take more than money to ride the hog.

john you are right it is not about the money, it is the fact that vance & hines do not want any body to ride the harleys, because they do not want to get out run with the stuff they have built. that is why the prices tag is crazy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back