Problems with AVG and Vista? (1 Viewer)

Jenn

Nitro Member
I downloaded the free version of AVG for a few days before I purchase another license and my new computer would not shut down without me hitting the power button.

This is part of the reason that my other computer went to the repairman, because it wouldn't shut down. It had the full (paid) version of AVG on it.

Any ideas?

Or an alternate virus program?

Thanks

I downloaded the free version of AVG for a few days before I purchase another license and my new computer would not shut down without me hitting the power button.

This is part of the reason that my other computer went to the repairman, because it wouldn't shut down. It had the full (paid) version of AVG on it.

Any ideas?

Or an alternate virus program?

Thanks

If you made a restore point before installing AVG restore the system to that point. This should always be done before installing any new software so if things go bad you can restore to the point just prior to the install.

If you didn't do that uninstall AVG completely and reinstall the paid version, after making a restore point and see if it will work. I do have AVG (paiid) running on one Vista laptop and it seem to be fine.

Another excellent antivirus is NOD32

Good Luck

We have AVG running at work, but we noticed that having the free version conflicted when we loaded the free version....our computer guy said it was seeing it as a virus or something....we took the free version off and reloaded the paid and it all works fine now on our system running Vista. :)

I had the paid version on the one that crashed. The tech said that it looked like AVG (the paid version) acted like a virus and recommended CA Virus program 09. I still haven't had a chance to install either yet. He said he'd had several computers with AVG software come in the last few weeks and he said that several of his customers had reported just doing an update that AVG required the restart (like mine did)

CA really dropped the ball big time on their latest release. EVERY time I get a client that has it installed, the computer is running as slow as dirt. I remove CA and the system is running like a champ. I have no qualms about letting clients know they "might want to consider something else."

Personally, I have the paid edition of AVG (was the only one that would work with a 64-bit system at the time). However, I'm not to fond of version 8 as opposed to 7.5. When upgrade time comes I'm going to ditch it and go with VIPRE and Sunbelt firewall.

Actually, I have seen zero problems with the CA 2009.... As long as the proper directories are excluded from realtime scanning it seems to out perform Norton, AVG, and the others...

One problem I have seen with all of them is with Intuit and certain Quick Book configurations, as the hidden program data directories must be excluded from realtime scanning. I have also seen the same issue with Adobe Writer (not the free reader). The premise holds true for 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista.

Actually, I have seen zero problems with the CA 2009.... As long as the proper directories are excluded from realtime scanning it seems to out perform Norton, AVG, and the others...

Sorry, but if I have to turn off some of the protection in order to avoid having my computer run like a 486 then it's software I don't want install in my machine.

Sorry, but if I have to turn off some of the protection in order to avoid having my computer run like a 486 then it's software I don't want install in my machine.
Sam..you could take a lesson from Ted. He's forgotten more than you'll ever know..trust me.

All he said was exclude a few directories from being scanned and all is well..that's not compromising your security... (Vista sucks..you know like the bloated directories that just harbor immaterial that's only related to Windows) And he wouldn't have even commented unless he'd already tested it..uhh.

Show some respect..Car PCs Hit The Road - Custom Systems/White Box - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness

"There are no standards—and that is why the market can grow," said Ted Hunter, general manager of Champion Networks, a Brunswick, Maine-based solution provider who is also the driver and tuner of a successful drag racing car." (I hope that's workin out for ya Ted)

(between you and me..it's like you trying to tell Austin how to tune)

Ted knows his stuff, Sam..network and Windows guru..so take his advice.

All seriousness aside..I still like my XP..lean and mean.

One problem I have seen with all of them is with Intuit and certain Quick Book configurations, as the hidden program data directories must be excluded from realtime scanning. I have also seen the same issue with Adobe Writer (not the free reader). The premise holds true for 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista.

What do you mean by 'proper directories'? I thought you needed to scan everything?

I tried installing CA in my new computer, looking down on the list or requirements, it looked like I had everything and then some, but then when I tried to install it, it said that I didn't have everything.

Since I'm not sure what staples return policy is, and haven't been down there yet to ask, I was thinking about putting it on my other laptop, the one that went down with AVG.

I haven't fired up the other laptop either to see if it actually works, since the tech told me I would have to reinstall everything, I figured I would wait till I have time, or somebody else wants to do it.

My sister in laws laptop went down yesterday, and it also had AVG software which I had assumed to be current (I had installed the paid version back in March for her).

Realtime protection and a scheduled scans are two very different things to Norton, CA, Panda, McAfee, AVG, and other AV programs.

A scheduled scan (or manual scan) will inspect everything unless you configure the scan to exclude directories (like a movie directory you know is clean that might take two hours to scan).

Realtime scanning is the scanning in realtime, of files and directories, in the background as they are opened and closed.

With all of these AV programs, scanning certain files and folders, will significantly slow down performance.

The Windows System 32 directory in XP and Vista is usually excluded from realtime scanning as per anti-virus program manufacturer recommendations. The programs to NOT default to this as it could open the manufacturer up to potential legal issues but in the advanced instructions there will be specific directories or files that are recommended to be excluded from realtime protection.

In Vista, some programs such as Adobe Writer and Quick Books will hang periodically if the hidden program files data directory is not excluded from real time scanning. Basically the symptom is the blue "rolling donut" just staying on the screen and not shutting down properly. Each program may or may not have specific exclusions that need to be entered into the anti-virus program exclusion list.

If you look at a default Norton installation often you will see that c:\windows\system32 is excluded by default (for example). This is because opening and closing files in that directory will slow down a system substancially. Incoming and outgoing files (to and from) that directory are scanned, but the act of opening an existing file is allowed without being scanned. This way the system works more quickly as the anti-virus program assumes a file being opened was already scanned when it was placed in the directory.

Sorry to be so long winded but I had a real tough time last year getting Quick Books 2008 to function on a Vista 64 computer and Intuit had no answers...

I arrived at my conclusion after examining several Microsoft Exchange email servers and discovering that certain files were excluded from scanning to improve performance and reduce data corruption. The concept of exclusions is a standard practice in the IT industry but each computer is slightly different in regards to programs, operating systems, updates and patches.

I hope this helps clarify my response. :)

I hope this helps clarify my response. :)

Um, sure, if I knew more about what you were taking about. I have a Panda trial on my computer right now since I couldn't get the CA to install, the only problem is that i"m always getting 'intruder' alerts of other computers wanting my wi-fi

Is your router broadcasting an SSID?

Once your wireless is set up and working, you can eliminate the broadcast (think unsolicited advertisement stating that you have a WIFI connection). The details should be in your user manual or online owners manual. Each router is slightly different in the names/titles of what features to enable or disable, but disabling broadcasting is a very good first step toward making your wireless network somewhat secure.

Also, there may be a way to "turn off alerts" for a particular message in your firewall, be it Windows or your other program. Sometimes it is an all or nothing disabling of messages and if that is the case I suggest you leave those annoying little messages on just in case something more significant occurs.

Perhaps an hour of time from your local computer shop might be an expenditure well invested, or even "The Geek Squad" or their equivalent in your area... Have a list of your annoyances and pet peeves prior to getting a quote, as well as the brand and model number of your router, type of internet connection, brand, model number, operating system type (Vista, XP, or whatever), and your primary applications (for example Outlook 2007 for email).

I should have clarified, the problem exists mostly when I'm at school or in the library.

My home network popped up a message last night when I introduced a new computer to my network (my Godmother came over with her laptop).

I did just buy a Verizon Wireless broadband card and I was wondering if I could put two computers on that little network.

You are asking of two computers can be used on the Verizon access at your house? if so the answer is yes. Assuming you have a DSL connection from verizon I would connect it to a wireless router/access point. Most routers will have four or five wired "ports" as well so you should be able to connect through a hard wire to configure your connections.

Without knowing the details I do know you will need to know the following:

Your ISP information.... User name, passwords, DNS addresses (those pesky details), and probably a "gateway address". This information will need to be entered into the wireless router.

Many of the new routers simply require you follow directions and run a cd on the computer and it will automatically configure itself for basic access. Although everyone has preferences (like Dodge, Chevy, and Ford for example), I generally prefer the Linksys line as I have seen less problems with it over the years than competitive products from Net Gear, D-Link, or Belkin. Plus my brother (who has a Mac) could actually get his Linksys to function without calling me.

You are asking of two computers can be used on the Verizon access at your house? if so the answer is yes. Assuming you have a DSL connection from verizon I would connect it to a wireless router/access point. Most routers will have four or five wired "ports" as well so you should be able to connect through a hard wire to configure your connections.

Without knowing the details I do know you will need to know the following:

Your ISP information.... User name, passwords, DNS addresses (those pesky details), and probably a "gateway address". This information will need to be entered into the wireless router.

Many of the new routers simply require you follow directions and run a cd on the computer and it will automatically configure itself for basic access. Although everyone has preferences (like Dodge, Chevy, and Ford for example), I generally prefer the Linksys line as I have seen less problems with it over the years than competitive products from Net Gear, D-Link, or Belkin. Plus my brother (who has a Mac) could actually get his Linksys to function without calling me.

It's a broadband card that goes through my cell phone provider. It's just a USB device with an antanae.

If you made a restore point before installing AVG restore the system to that point. This should always be done before installing any new software so if things go bad you can restore to the point just prior to the install.

If you didn't do that uninstall AVG completely and reinstall the paid version, after making a restore point and see if it will work. I do have AVG (paiid) running on one Vista laptop and it seem to be fine.

Could you please elaborate on what this means, creating a restore point?? Thank you.

Could you please elaborate on what this means, creating a restore point?? Thank you.
System Restore is a part of Windows.

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur For XP

I don't do Vista, but I'll assume it's the same. I don't like System Restore..if left alone with default settings..it will eat up 10-12% of your hardrive saving Restore Points automatically..and if your system gets infected..it will save a corrupted Restore Point. I turn it off.

It does appear to be a tad different in Vista: Vista: Creating a System Restore point

I use Backup Exec Desktop Edition, it is generally between $50.00-$60.00 and a single license can be purchased from Dell. It creates an entire image of the hard drive and will do incremental backups in the background at the times you want shceduled. It also has the significant advantage (in my opnion), of being able to restore an image to a different piece of equipment in the event of a catastrophic failure as long as it is properly configured in the beginning.

I find creating an image prior to making an application change is a good way of being able to "put it back the way it was" in the event of a problem, and I do not need to be concerned about the Windows System Restore and whether or not Windows decided correctly on the files to back up.

That said, the basic System Restore with Windows is much better than nothing. After 25 years of doing this stuff I am pretty detailed about how I proceed as I cannot afford to lose data that belongs to a customer and do not want to be in a situation where an ounce of prevention could have prevented a pound of cure. :)

I should have done that before I came back for the second Vegas because the Belkin driver caused my computer to do some weird memory dump thing.

Anybody know where I can find an adapter and driver for a 64 bit Vista version to take my weather station 9 pin serial port and convert it to a USB port?

I was told that a cable place would make one, but it wouldn't have the driver and the driver was needed to convert the signal or format or something that's way too techy for me to figure out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back