Pro Mod Car Counts @ NHRA Events (1 Viewer)

Riley7

Nitro Member
I've been following the Pro Mod class more closely than usual this year, and it seems that they have nearly a full field show up for qualifying at every NHRA Event they participate in. It's not an easy show to get into, and once they start running eliminations the racing is close on the clocks, and a blast to watch.

Pro Mod offers a large number of participants, a wide variety of body styles and engine configurations, and they haul ass. I'm not sure why they aren't included in every NHRA National Event, and it baffles me that we don't see more of them on TV. Any thoughts on why the Pro Mods show up in such large numbers, but aren't ever included in the "big show" broadcast? It sure beats the heck out of only 15 Pro Stock cars showing up for 16 slots like we saw this past weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pro Stock cars, but I am pretty neutral on the bikes. I do think switching up the bikes with Pro Mod cars on the ESPN broadcasts would be pretty cool, at least on occasion.

Pro mods should take the place of Pro Stock, sorry but there are not enough pro stocks to fill a 16 car field. It would be interesting to see if they ran Pro Mod at all the events if that many would show every time. I get tired of Pro Mods playing second fiddle to Pro Stock, have been to events and when they get behind on time the Pro Mods lose one of their runs(like Indy last year on Saturday)

Pro mods should take the place of Pro Stock, sorry but there are not enough pro stocks to fill a 16 car field. It would be interesting to see if they ran Pro Mod at all the events if that many would show every time. I get tired of Pro Mods playing second fiddle to Pro Stock, have been to events and when they get behind on time the Pro Mods lose one of their runs(like Indy last year on Saturday)
I agree!!!!

Not 24 events, but run the bikes at 12 and Pro Mods at 12...maybe run them both at a few races. I would think it would be accepted well.

30 Entries for 28 spots as of right now at Bristol. Biggest percentage of any class there, at 107%.

I agree with Chris, 24 events would ruin the class.
Sort of off topic but why can't NHRA run a class that have a high car count for that area? Let's say 10.5 have a lot of cars in a certain area(for example New Jersey). They could have 10.5 run at Englishtown and you would have a high car count and also get a lot of new cars and fans to attend. If a area near a national event is big into outlaw street, then run it there.

If you wanna ruin Pro Mod, go ahead and make them full time Pros running 24 events. There won't be full fields for long. They would soon run into the same problems that every other class has attracting cars.

Chris is right, they get 28 cars cause they only run what 10-12 races? How much does it cost per race for those guys $25-30,000 to compete each race? Do the math...

Pro Mod and Pro Stock should rarely run at the same event, IMO. They should split the season and perhaps run together at Indy, maybe the Finals, as well. I'd think that would be the best for both of those classes given the variables facing both of them.

Speaking of Pro Mods ... Did Donnie Walsh pull a John Force? I am pretty sure that car was a Mustang last year and it is now a Camaro. Is it an all new car or did they just play with they body work? Last year at Vegas 2, Walsh was by far the most exciting car to watch of the weekend. That thing would carry the front wheels way out and then pick them up again for a long way when the turbo boost came on. He has everybody covered by 10 MPH so far at Bristol.

Speaking of Pro Mods ... Did Donnie Walsh pull a John Force? I am pretty sure that car was a Mustang last year and it is now a Camaro. Is it an all new car or did they just play with they body work? Last year at Vegas 2, Walsh was by far the most exciting car to watch of the weekend. That thing would carry the front wheels way out and then pick them up again for a long way when the turbo boost came on. He has everybody covered by 10 MPH so far at Bristol.

No. Don Walsh's former Mustang was sold to Gas Motorsport in Australia. They buy a lot of fast cars from here in the United States, including some of our fastest Imports. Check out this video:

Right now Pro Mod is the only class with full field of cars at most events so take advantage and run them at every event.

Many of the other classes are having a hard enough time getting a 16 car fields and in many events simply using back up cars to to get to a 16 car show.

The old saying "Go with whatever is working" applies here.

With all the other problems the N.H.R.A. is having from the economy, lack of sponsors, spectators and not enough cars and everything else just go with what works at least for now!

Jim Hill

The old saying "Go with whatever is working" applies here.

With all the other problems the N.H.R.A. is having from the economy, lack of sponsors, spectators and not enough cars and everything else just go with what works at least for now!

What's working is having them at a limited number of events.

Needs to be on TV when possible. Full eliminations on the Sunday show. It's a huge asset of pure awesomeness that is not being used by NHRA. Which gives credence to what some of you fellow Maters say of NHRA logic. Having said that.....maybe something changes with the newwwwww TV avenue taken next season.

I remember the days of 40 Pro Stockers vying for a 16-car field as well. It's unfortunate to see from a fans point of view that they are barely clearing 15-16 car fields total now. With regard to the Pro Mods? Since it's inception with Wild Bill Kuhlman & Scotty Cannon it has been an "on the edge of your seat" category to watch. It has the sounds, variety, diversity, & excitement. The Top Sportsman class isn't far behind. Not to put the Pro Stock class down... It still holds its excitement, just doesn't peak my interests anymore.

I think Chris is right on limited races, but these guys are racers if they are not running NHRA events they're racing somewhere else, that's what racers do.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back