Pro Drivers meet with HD Partners (1 Viewer)

...........he says this with a straight face, all the while having an autographed Greek picture in his avatar!:eek:

Ha ha ha! Open mouth, insert foot! :D

Greek's daughter actually had Greek sign that for me at Columbus a few years back. Bobby Baldwin was parked right next to Greek, and she was walking by and saw the picture in my hand. It caught her eye and she grabbed me and the picture, and took us over to show Bobby. Then she hauled me over to Greek, showed him, and told him he should sign that thing for me. What was I supposed to say? No? Seriously, I gotta admit, it was a pretty cool moment. I was fortunate enough to get to spend a lot of time with the Greek's, Richard Tharp's, John Wiebe's, Bob Creitz's, Jim Nicoll's, Big Daddy's, Steve Carbone's, and several others of that era. It was cool to rehash some of those days with a legend like The Greek. I'll never forget Greeks daughter doing that for me.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

What would it take besides bathrooms to bring those aforementioned tracks up to par, so these guys could feel comfortable bringing the big shooters there? I mean, with the hospitality tents and the big buses, is the racing facility really that important to the potential sponsors? I am serious, because I really don't know the answer to that question.

Since none of us know what if any changes take place in this HD deal. I can't imagine it being any worse than what NHRA/POWERade hasn't done for this sport.

What would it take besides bathrooms to bring those aforementioned tracks up to par, so these guys could feel comfortable bringing the big shooters there? I mean, with the hospitality tents and the big buses, is the racing facility really that important to the potential sponsors? I am serious, because I really don't know the answer to that question.

First impressions only come once and need to be as impressive as possible... I don't care what class you are in, but if you bring a sponsor to the track you want them to think "Wow, I gotta get into this market"... There are reasons Sonoma, Pomona, Indy (among other tracks) are where you take your potential business partners... Those tracks usually have great crowds, great races and nice facilities... You wouldn't take a potential to a divisional because there is no crowd and the facilities usually are less than ideal (OLD wooden stands that are three rows high with grass everywhere)... So yes, the facility is the first thing that catches the eye and is very important... Its like showing up to an interview with you best clothes on...

CJ Curtsinger

I love the track at Atlanta, but things need to be adressed... I don't there there are ample stands to compensate for the amount of fans there are... There isn't enough parking for spectators (and barely enough for racers)... Fans had to be vultures for parking spots this year...

CJ Curtsinger

I totally empathize with this.
For whatever reason - Atlanta is one of our likable places to go - but it really is subpar for the reasons mentioned. The sportsmen parking in the grass is really bad too. Rain on grass = mud. Not cool.

Then, you used to have it right next to Bristol. So it really didn't help matters any.

I am sure you could give Bruton about 2 million and free reign on any rack and he would have it turned into something. Make it 10 million and free reign and it would be superb? It's about more than restrooms.

DLB

I will never understand a grown man wanting another grown man's autograph. Unless they are putting their signature on the bottom of a check, it's really meaningless.

I'd like to know which tracks specifically, Bazemore is talking about. The ones that aren't up to bringing a sponsor or CEO to. Obviously I haven't been to all the facilities, and I would be interested to know which ones he thinks aren't good enough.

Hmmmm....Here is MY take....I will never understand a grown man belittling another grown man for something as simple as an autograph. Unless they are putting their mouth to work for something meaningful, like the an intelligent insight or opinion on something of probative value, it's really meaningless.:eek:

Last edited:
I bet I can name a few, Phoenix, Memphis, E-town and Indy! Indy gets glamorized during the U.S. Nationals, but go into the Restrooms and you get a different picture!

no offense to any Division 3 racers, but IRP is a dump... the racing surface is one of the worst I've ever run on ( a real 1 lane track if I ever seen one), and the spectator facilities need an overhaul at the least.

no offense to any Division 3 racers, but IRP is a dump... the racing surface is one of the worst I've ever run on ( a real 1 lane track if I ever seen one), and the spectator facilities need an overhaul at the least.

I went to the nationals last year and I don't remember the track being bad... Granted I only ran in the left lane... What's wrong with the facilities?

On a related subject, does anyone know when Gainseville's tower will be finished?

Hmmmm....Here is MY take....I will never understand a grown man belittling another grown man for something as simple as an autograph. Unless they are putting their mouth to work for something meaningful, like the an intelligent insight or opinion on something of probative value, it's really meaningless.:eek:

C’mon Jay, cut the guy some slack. He has done all the pre-ops for surgically removing his foot from his mouth!:)

WAIVER: Thread will be slightly derailed.

My son, who qualifies as a full grown man of 24, got to spend some quality time in the Snake Pits last year at Denver(he knows the real Capps/Ace story:eek:;)) and got several autographs. He was so excited he called me when he got back home that night. He could not wait to go back to the races. Somewhere along the way, he was made fun of for getting autographs. Soon after that, he showed up at my house and ended up giving me all of his gear. When I figured out what had happened, I was pissed…………On a bright note, I got some really cool stuff.

Moral of the story: Words can be very hurtful, be careful how you use them.

I went to the nationals last year and I don't remember the track being bad... Granted I only ran in the left lane... What's wrong with the facilities?

On a related subject, does anyone know when Gainseville's tower will be finished?

Indy is the showcase event and yet the facility is sub par in comparison to Chicago, Vegas or Denver. From the conditions of the staging lanes to the sportsmen pits (Pro Stock and Alcohol pitted in gravel and mud until last year). If you're trying to land a sponsor and/or promote drag racing as major league sport sub par tracks like Firebird and Indy don't help.

D

Indy is the showcase event and yet the facility is sub par in comparison to Chicago, Vegas or Denver. From the conditions of the staging lanes to the sportsmen pits (Pro Stock and Alcohol pitted in gravel and mud until last year). If you're trying to land a sponsor and/or promote drag racing as major league sport sub par tracks like Firebird and Indy don't help.

D

The pits arent fantastic... I will give you that... I wouldn't say Indy is sub par... I think its right at par :)!

CJ Curtsinger

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back