Pomona Weather (1 Viewer)

Track temp being too low wasn't the issue at all, the start of the funny car session track temp was 112. Force did try to leg it out and about ended up on his roof as he crossed the center line.

You're right then. Track temp shouldn't have been an issue at 112. Guess the Crew Chiefs just badly missed the set-ups. It's rare that most of them mis-judge like that.

I notice the Legends Funny Cars seem to have done fine in their 2 sessions.

Rain so far this morning. Hopefully they will get at least one session in later. We'll see.

You're right then. Track temp shouldn't have been an issue at 112. Guess the Crew Chiefs just badly missed the set-ups. It's rare that most of them mis-judge like that.
Rain so far this morning. Hopefully they will get at least one session in later. We'll see.
If that many CC's missed it very likely has to do with track prep.

If that many CC's missed it very likely has to do with track prep.

With that in mind, I got to wondering during all this down-time. How much do these tracks age from year to year? All the Crew Chiefs have their notes for each track from past years. How valid are those notes the following year? Certainly it would provide a base-line. But Pomona is probably unique in that it is only used twice a year. It just bakes in the sun the rest of the year and doesn't get any rubber laid down. How well does the Pomona track surface age? I don't remember - is it concrete to 1000'? Either way, what ages best - concrete or asphalt? It's been a long time since that track was re-done, or even surfaced. Any insiders out there have any thoughts on this?

I’m not an insider, but I have looked into this very thing. Since 2001 I think, Pomona is concrete out to 660, then goes to asphalt. It was ground and shot peened in 2021 I think, by Kurt Johnson and his company. Anyway, it’s a good surface. It just doesn’t get any use.

For some reason Q1 at the Winternationals in recent years has been underwhelming. Maybe its because the track has been dormant from the Finals until Winters. I remember the 2021 Winter"summer"Nationals only a handful of fuel cars got down the track not because the track was junk but because a lot of crew chiefs under-estimated the surface and shook like crazy. Looking back at results only 6/17 Funny Cars made it down and 2/13 Top Fuelers made a three second run that night. Even in normal years like '22 9/18 Funny Cars made a full pull in Q1 and 10/16 Top Fuelers made a three second run.

Just took this off of NOAA.
Today
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 42. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 63. North northeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph

It's looking like they might get a break sometime after noon. Raining now, not heavy, and the forecast is for cloudy/partly cloudy and 60 degrees later on. Ripe conditions for a skating rink
Looks like rain likely to hit around 3pm. They will be hustling to try and beat that.
Yep - and a long line of rain to follow. Likely a Monday final round.

1711320620675.png

1711322470127.png

Last edited:
Disappointing management of turnaround time by NHRA. After E2 Alan announced 90 minutes from last FC to first TF. Seemed like someone felt we were home free on weather. Maybe could have beat the rain for the pros with shorter turnaround. I'll be in Phoenix so I'll still see Final but bummer for those who hung around all weekend and won't get to see it in person.

Disappointing management of turnaround time by NHRA. After E2 Alan announced 90 minutes from last FC to first TF. Seemed like someone felt we were home free on weather. Maybe could have beat the rain for the pros with shorter turnaround. I'll be in Phoenix so I'll still see Final but bummer for those who hung around all weekend and won't get to see it in person.
I've seen 60 minutes between first TF and next TF; we all have. Puts a burden on the smaller teams but it's doable, barring a crash or an oildown. This race could have been wrapped up before 2pm....at least from what I'm looking at here.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back