Pomona, we have a problem..... (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
I am surprised this hasnt been mentioned yet. I dont ever remember seeing a race where so many cars were crossing the center line and I dont remember ever seeing it at Pomona specifically either? That was ridiculous. Anybody know what the culprit is? They need to get it fixed whatever the problem is because there obvisously is one.

It happened a lot at the finals last year too. I think it's worse with the funny cars, and I can only think of four things.

1. The track has a lot of bite, and maybe with the extra traction on the rear tires is making the front end light.
2. The track runs down hill, more then any other track on the circut. Any effect/change on aerodynamics???
3. Track Crown-- I don't think this is it, when it was re-done it was supposed to be super flat.
4. No problem at all, just coincidence.

Last edited:
Maybe the super douche before the race? Were they crossing the line in qualifying? My son said it was one of the heaviest rains in 5 years.

I think it was a number of issues.

1)The right lane has a tendency to pull you towards the centerline.

2)Tire shake at this race seemed to be heavier than normal.

3)There was a pretty stiff cross wind for much of Sunday.

4)There were a couple cars that I thought were lined up crooked.

5)There were some cars that were completely overdriven.

I think it was a number of issues.

1)The right lane has a tendency to pull you towards the centerline.

2)Tire shake at this race seemed to be heavier than normal.

3)There was a pretty stiff cross wind for much of Sunday.

4)There were a couple cars that I thought were lined up crooked.

5)There were some cars that were completely overdriven.

In regards to your #1, Mike Dunn said that the right lane has a tendency to pull you towards the centerline. Ok, if they know that, 2 questions:

1. Why?
2. How can we fix it?

I just thought it was crazy. It just wasnt one car, but it seemed like atleast one car in EVERY class during every round was getting over by the stripe. I just dont understand why and I dont ever remember it being a problem before. Though I do agree with your 2 thru 5.

Yeah, it needs to be adressed. They fixed the shut down bump (like Ace said); but I too was amazed how many vehicles were drifting.

I don't see a problem...its kind of exciting and thats what drag racing is all about.....Records are cool but I for one love to see two cars up in smoke, sideways, blipping the throttle and getting down there......Lots of excitement and shows the true colors of a driver...Look @ Whit.....he knows how to pedal and took out a veteran dragster first round....same w/ Hight first round....If A Force had been given the green light to pedal she could of caught him but she has been told to abort if the car smokes the tires as JF is afraid of a serious ka-boom......If everyone wants side-by-side low e.t. races its gonna be BORING for some...

Actually that is not true. Ashley admitted that she made a mistake by not staying on the loud pedal in her race. She also stated that John had given here the ok to hurt it if neccessary.

jim

I suspect that all the bad weather and the wind made the track pretty tricky. If the track is not perfectly flat you will see the problems magnified. I bet there will be some track work between now and the end of the year to try to make things better.

just my observation as a crew member on a sportsman team. Track prep is totally horrible since we have gone to tv. Given the amount of rain that fell on the track and the lack of time to properly dry it and put some sort of heat into it as the sun never really got to it. The track was slippery for everyone who went down. Just my 2cents!!!!

i think the biggest problem is the shortness of the shutdown area. every event you wonder who or how many cars are going to get torn up in the sand. you know its going to happen , just don't know when.

just my observation as a crew member on a sportsman team. Track prep is totally horrible since we have gone to tv. Given the amount of rain that fell on the track and the lack of time to properly dry it and put some sort of heat into it as the sun never really got to it. The track was slippery for everyone who went down. Just my 2cents!!!!
Them three 4.40's by "Huggie Bear" sure made it look like it was prep right.

I don't see a problem...its kind of exciting and thats what drag racing is all about.....Records are cool but I for one love to see two cars up in smoke, sideways, blipping the throttle and getting down there......Lots of excitement and shows the true colors of a driver...Look @ Whit.....he knows how to pedal and took out a veteran dragster first round....same w/ Hight first round....If A Force had been given the green light to pedal she could of caught him but she has been told to abort if the car smokes the tires as JF is afraid of a serious ka-boom......If everyone wants side-by-side low e.t. races its gonna be BORING for some...

Terry, I disagree. I would rather watch 2 cars run side by side 4.49's then have a 6.10 to 6.50 pedal fest. Pedal fest are fun to watch, yes but I would rather see good times from cars. Fuller/Baze's 2nd round match was a great dragrace to watch. And in my opinion, I dont think the track should have a role in who wins.

As for Ashley, she was told she could blow it up if necessary and if you watch the replay of the run and watch the injectors she got back on it but nothing happened.

There was nothing wrong with the track prep. Its the clutch set up, You forget that we have 2 cars coming down and One going home, They set it up on kill to win, As for the heat in the track, it was there, They stopped running during the 1st rounf cause we had some sprikles, Not enough to get the track wet but we felt it was not safe. And 3rd, The track is plenty long, When you watch the fuel cars run, Watch how long they stay on the pedal past the finish line and when they get the chutes out, Im the one standing out there in the middle at the Sand Box directing them off and I did have to move a couple times to not get hit, Theres nothing wrong with the track. Just my 3 cents.

There was nothing wrong with the track prep. Its the clutch set up, You forget that we have 2 cars coming down and One going home, They set it up on kill to win, As for the heat in the track, it was there, They stopped running during the 1st rounf cause we had some sprikles, Not enough to get the track wet but we felt it was not safe. And 3rd, The track is plenty long, When you watch the fuel cars run, Watch how long they stay on the pedal past the finish line and when they get the chutes out, Im the one standing out there in the middle at the Sand Box directing them off and I did have to move a couple times to not get hit, Theres nothing wrong with the track. Just my 3 cents.

Donie, I was not saying there was a problem with track prep, I am saying there is a problem with the track itself. I think you guys do an awesome job. What I was getting at was that almost every race had a car going to the centerline, that shouldnt be happening. I never recall watching or being at a race where that has happened before and the cars are always set on kill. It was like watching an outlaw 10.5 race almost.

Justin...I was glad to see A Force do well but to have 4 JFR crewman positioned @ various points on the service road to help her in case she has a problem is a little overboard......and according to Kevin w/ JFR she is instructed to abort if in trouble after half-track.....

"As for Ashley, she was told she could blow it up if necessary and if you watch the replay of the run and watch the injectors she got back on it but nothing happened."

I don't know what she was told, I don't have that info. But, she did open the throttle again and nothing happened. Mike Dunn even caught it, and mentioned it. :)

Rapid

Justin...I was glad to see A Force do well but to have 4 JFR crewman positioned @ various points on the service road to help her in case she has a problem is a little overboard......and according to Kevin w/ JFR she is instructed to abort if in trouble after half-track.....

I agree about the 4 crew members.

But I can understand them wanting her to lift if she gets in trouble. I am sure they have no illusions of her winning a championship so I tend to think this is a "get aquainted" season.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back