POMONA - Today is Cancelled! (1 Viewer)

I don't get it. One race in January (Pomona), five to six weeks off, one race in March (Gators), three weeks off, and the season begins in earnest in April. :confused:

So, your point is What? There ain't an NFL Team in SoCal... Spent every weekend in January growing up at Some SoCal track, watching Nitro...

If 22 guys shoving each other around for an hour is your idea of a fun time... more power to ya... same reason I don't watch 18 guys swinging wooden sticks, or 10 guys trying to put a ball through a hoop mounted on a pole...

d'kid

+1

They can play football inside...we can't.
But then again...maybe...someone call Bruton!

Last edited:
I don't get it. One race in January (Pomona), five to six weeks off, one race in March (Gators), three weeks off, and the season begins in earnest in April. :confused:

Christopher,

4 races only Winters, Springs, US Nationals, World Finals (which floated from track to track)... but then Nitro ran at Divisional Events, So MORE people could see them live each weekend... in '69 Dallas had Both the Springs and The World Finals...

Spending a K or more for one weekend a year to travel to a Pro Show is too much... which hurts are newbie market, the kid who's making 15K a year at a starting level job...

d'kid

4 races only Winters, Springs, US Nationals, World Finals (which floated from track to track)... but then Nitro ran at Divisional Events, So MORE people could see them live each weekend... in '69 Dallas had Both the Springs and The World Finals...

Oh, I understand how it was, I was around then too. What I was responding to was the implication that it would make sense today to have the Winters in January.

No big national championship traveling circus? Gee, I don't know. Haven't really thought about it. How do the finances work? Is there any TV? Dunno...

Speaking of traveling circuses, here in So Cal you would have less competition with NFL playoffs than with stadium supercross and monster truck rallies in the month of January.

Another thought is they test and tune in Florida in February, why would that be any different than having the Gatornationals?

Ol skool, spread them out and build suspence.

So, your point is What? There ain't an NFL Team in SoCal... Spent every weekend in January growing up at Some SoCal track, watching Nitro...

If 22 guys shoving each other around for an hour is your idea of a fun time... more power to ya... same reason I don't watch 18 guys swinging wooden sticks, or 10 guys trying to put a ball through a hoop mounted on a pole...

d'kid

We all criticize NHRA, but they aren't stupid. True, there are no NFL teams in SoCal, but that doesn't mean that folks don't like watching the playoffs on tv, no matter where they are.

Edit - Remember the fall Chicago race? Long gone!

Last edited:
We all criticize NHRA, but they aren't stupid. True, there are no NFL teams in SoCal, but that doesn't mean that folks don't like watching the playoffs on tv, no matter where they are.

Edit - Remember the fall Chicago race? Long gone!

There is something else to do 365 days a year, if someone wants.... there isn't another sport that says 'gee, there's a drag race this weekend, so lets move our event sometime else'...

As far as Chi-town, No Track needs two races a season... that includes Charlotte, Pomona, and Vegas... unless your track is drawn as that season's "World Finals". Keep the season at 22 to 23 races. Drop the Test Band so Charlotte Can Book In a 4 wide race, Norwalk can Book in 'The Night of Fire', ect... Drop the countdown, invite the sixteen best win/lose record cars in each pro class, to the finals, 3 rounds qualifying Saturday to set ladder, Live TV Sunday to claim the Title.

d'kid

There is something else to do 365 days a year, if someone wants.... there isn't another sport that says 'gee, there's a drag race this weekend, so lets move our event sometime else'...

As far as Chi-town, No Track needs two races a season... that includes Charlotte, Pomona, and Vegas... unless your track is drawn as that season's "World Finals". Keep the season at 22 to 23 races. Drop the Test Band so Charlotte Can Book In a 4 wide race, Norwalk can Book in 'The Night of Fire', ect... Drop the countdown, invite the sixteen best win/lose record cars in each pro class, to the finals, 3 rounds qualifying Saturday to set ladder, Live TV Sunday to claim the Title.

d'kid

And E-Town can book Force for the Thrill shows again :D

No wait I'm going into Vintage E-Town fanboy mode again...

And E-Town can book Force for the Thrill shows again :D

No wait I'm going into Vintage E-Town fanboy mode again...

What Scares me, is that People (FANS) will go to the booked in shows, and skip the 'National Events':D

Heck, on any given weekend, up to 4 tracks could book a DSR vs JFR match race... not sure this would work for pipe racks...

d'kid

What Scares me, is that People (FANS) will go to the booked in shows, and skip the 'National Events':D

Heck, on any given weekend, up to 4 tracks could book a DSR vs JFR match race... not sure this would work for pipe racks...

d'kid

Well you got the Laganas, and I'll never forget 1992 the first time I ever went to E-Town Joe Amato John Force "Chuckie Chuckie Chuckie!" Etchells, Mark Oswald and Frank Manzo were the stars in attendence.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back