Pep Boys (1 Viewer)

tb

Nitro Member
Pep Boys to sponsor Top Fuel and Funny Car Callouts. Also National Dragster has them sponsoring the Maple Grove event.

Well, hey - one thing at a time. This is good news to sign a new sponsor to NHRA drag racing.

I thought Pep Boys were in a bad financial situation. Last I heard, They were closing stores. Maybe I'm wrong.

Manny, Moe & Jack, from 1940's if I remember. We still have one in Phx. Always remember the one in Glendale, Calif, where I grew up. Was considered "not good stuff" even back then.

Carl Icahn bought Pep Boys a few years back. Hope you can read the article without a subscription. It’s not a real positive story. https://www.inquirer.com/business/p...jack-future-fate-20210103.html?outputType=amp.

The store near me in Philly has in fact gone sharply downhill in the past 18 months. You now check out in back at the parts counter. The old checkout stands are still up front with random stuff and empty boxes piled on and in them. I’d assume shoplifting has to have gone up with that setup, but they saved money by canning the cashiers.

I use to go the one in West Hills as it was the closest parts store to my home, but the closed down the store; sign out front said something about Carquest. I think the shop is still opened though. Now I go to O'Rielly's in the bad part of town.

Terry why the negativity toward a positive announcement?
There's never much gratitude here anymore. A whole thread and no real "thank yous". Instead, a bunch of critics chastising the Pep Boys franchise model.

Oh by the way, as Brian Lohnes hinted at earlier ... there was more to come. Pep Boys are title sponsor of the Reading event at Maple Grove

THANK YOU Pep Boys !!!!!

Well, hey - one thing at a time. This is good news to sign a new sponsor to NHRA drag racing.
Not 100% new to the sport. They have sponsored a race before. But still wonderful to see them back/increasing support

I always thought Pep Boys should have been more involved in motorsports sponsorship. As it happens, I do most of my auto-related shopping at Pep Boys, and it is where I often get tires and state inspections. That said, I am sort of wondering why I shop there. They are owned by a corporate raider, Carl Icahn, who has cost untold thousands of American jobs at the firms he has acquired or exerted control over, ran TWA bankrupt and out of business, all the while making himself worth $20 billion or so. As a Philadelphian, it is bummer he has basically closed Pep Boy's HQ, that was in Philly since the company's founding. And as mentioned before, employment is getting cut at his stores (Pep Boys runs their own stores - they do not franchise them.)

Anyway, it is probably time I decided where I really want to spend my auto-related dollars! It may end up being PB - large selection and close to my house - but I probably need to think about it.

I don't get it. What is negative about Pep Boys sponsoring a car?
Well, that would be great if it were to happen. My response to you was more about, let's thank them for stepping back into the sport. Seems now like you weren't being negative, but that's where keyboard conversations don't always convey the tone an in person one would.

Glad to see Pep Boys sponsoring a couple of races. All the Pep Boys stores near me closed and are now just auto service locations only.

The great part in this is that PB's Corp. Marketing Dept. see's enough value n NHRA drag racing to sign the check. Wasn't always that way. Hopefully NHRA hasn't had to drop the rates to get the sponsorship $$$.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back