Ooops!! (1 Viewer)

I was wondering if anybody was going to post about that. I saw it the first time they showed it on TV and noticed it immediately because it just about caught the front of the frame and front wheel in the opening.

I couldn't see the gate on the angle that NHRA.com but when I saw the clip I thought that it was a good thing that the body pulled off and got that fire away from Tony.

We talking about where the two traffic cones were?
Somebody left those on the trackside of the track?

Sounds like something NHRA should fine itself in the amount of around $100,000 for! :D

Ron (hey, at least we have other things to complain about other than the Countdown anymore!) in Bristol

Yeah... OOPS... how bout... "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ARE YOU KIDDING ME????" Ron your right, NHRA SHOULD FINE ITSELF $1,000,000 IMAGINARY DOLLARS FOR THAT!! That Gate is there to prevent front impact.. IT WAS SHEER LUCK that Tony was riding along that wall, and just KISSED that open part, and also that he had slowed down quite a bit! IMAGINE IF THE CHUTES HAD BURNED, AND HE HIT THAT WALL AT 100mph, or quicker??? Sorry, but "LITTLE DETAILS" like this will cause another serious injury or worse!

By the way.. Great job to Stan Creekmore from COMPPLUS.COM for his great investigative work to bring us this story. AND PROPS TO TONY PED for keeping his cool on National TV!

I've made way too many mistakes and judgment errors in my life to point the judgment finger for this type mistake-especially as it was made in their zeal to perform their lifesaving duties post haste. Best news is that Tony wasn't seriously injured due to the infraction and, in the long run, he probably ought to thank them for putting him in a chassis that perfectly reacted to their information whereby he could dispatch all on-comers and take home the Wally.

Missed the actual event on TV because of tenant trouble but could this have been a potential Blaine Johnson situation?

The Safety Safari are heroes in this writer's eyes, having no doubt saved a dear freind's (and former driver of my racer) skin from becoming a chitlin @ Phoenix a few years back.

Hope it was a judgement call that won't be repeated and was not the Safari's!

Posted this on another site (torco) but depending on were this one goes I'll post it here.

It was a mistake no doubt, but the guys that made it have to live with the consequences. Not sure what everybody does on this board, but I for one work full time in Emergency services (Firefighter/Paramedic). Much like these guys (safety safari) you are forced to make quick decisions with limited information, it's not always easy, the decision isn't always right. It's easy to look back with HD instant replays and elevated angles and say, "wow they screwed up", but not so easy from their perspective. It's not like a bad call flipping burgers, approving loans, or fixing cars, when you make a bad call in emergency services sometimes people die, and thats something you have to live with, much like the Safari guys, I'm sure he/she is still beating themselves up. So before the wagon gets too full of people bashing, just remember what they do and how they have to do it. NHRA did a stand-up thing and admitted they were wrong. The mistake actually kicked the body off and kept him from being enclosed with fire/smoke for another few minutes/seconds, and Luck/God was on his side and he glanced it and only lost a chassis. It's racing, thats how it goes, if it was safe you wouldn't have to wear a helmet.

Not trying to lessen what happened to Tony, and he has a right to feel how he wants (my guess is he hold no ill will about it), but people in emergency services do the best they can with what they have (information and equipment). Nobody goes into it thinking, "I'm going to be overzealous even if it means I may kill someone".

Last edited:
Well I'm not going to b**ch about the Safety Safari doing their job. They have to make split-second decisions and this one didn't go well (though, apparently, not disasterously).
Fortunately, Mr. Light didn't try to make excuses or bad mouth anybody. That's refreshing.

Tony P is willing to "move on", I guess we should too.

Something was learned from the incident with minimal cost.

Last edited:
The wall being open could have been very dangerous but in this situation I think it probably helped as far as Tped getting burned again. He was really on fire and when he hit it, it chunked the body which got him out of the inferno. How much damage did it do to the chassis, anybody know?

It's nice to see NHRA is taking this situation (with open gates) seriously. The fact that they even admitted to a mistake is pretty amazing.
It sure wasn't that way in the 80's and 90's.

True Story: I remember it like it was yesterday. I attended the 25th Anniversary Nationals in Indy in 1979. On the saturday, I arrived at the track and notices a line of Fuel Bikes in the staging lanes. I got talking to this one rider about his bike etc. etc. Nice guy. Soon the bikers got the call to but on they helmets etc. and fire up, so I ran like heck to get a seat near the starting line. Well - I was almost sorry I did. The fellow I had just moments earlier been talking to was one of the first bikes out for that round of qualifying. His name was Ernie Rife. His bike was on picture perfect pass carrying the front wheel to the 1000 ft mark area (approx) - however when it finally touched down the front tire gave off a cloud of smoke then entire fork/front wheel assembly came off the bike. The bike slid and bounced straight down the track however Ernie slid to the left - right into the exposed end of the guardrail a few hundred feet past the finish line. He died instantly. I felt sick - especially knowing the fact that I was one of the last guys he ever talked to.

Well, when I attended the 1980 event I noticed the same exposed guard rail at Indy was still the same. And it was the same the next year - and the next year. No changes. I wrote a letter to NHRA reminding them of what had happened to that poor Fuel Bike rider and I remember distinctly asked them in that letter if "someone else would need to die" before they would attend to it. I recieved no responce from NHRA and sadly that open guardrail on the left side of the shutdown area remained the same.

August 31st 1996 @ Indy: my favourite Top Fuel driver Blaine Johnson laid down a Low ET 4.59 run that resulted in an engine exposion that caused Blaine's car to hit the same damn exposed guardrail. My love for the NHRA also died that day - completely. I still love drag racing but the current administration of boneheads within NHRA are an embarrasment to what Wally Parks founded. They just continue to taint this fine sport even further - making it hard for me to be entusiastic about it at all these days. It's just sad all the way around.

Dale Epp - NHRA member 1968-2006

Last edited:
Posted this on another site (torco) but depending on were this one goes I'll post it here.

It was a mistake no doubt, but the guys that made it have to live with the consequences. Not sure what everybody does on this board, but I for one work full time in Emergency services (Firefighter/Paramedic). Much like these guys (safety safari) you are forced to make quick decisions with limited information, it's not always easy, the decision isn't always right. It's easy to look back with HD instant replays and elevated angles and say, "wow they screwed up", but not so easy from their perspective. It's not like a bad call flipping burgers, approving loans, or fixing cars, when you make a bad call in emergency services sometimes people die, and thats something you have to live with, much like the Safari guys, I'm sure he/she is still beating themselves up. So before the wagon gets too full of people bashing, just remember what they do and how they have to do it. NHRA did a stand-up thing and admitted they were wrong. The mistake actually kicked the body off and kept him from being enclosed with fire/smoke for another few minutes/seconds, and Luck/God was on his side and he glanced it and only lost a chassis. It's racing, thats how it goes, if it was safe you wouldn't have to wear a helmet.

Not trying to lessen what happened to Tony, and he has a right to feel how he wants (my guess is he hold no ill will about it), but people in emergency services do the best they can with what they have (information and equipment). Nobody goes into it thinking, "I'm going to be overzealous even if it means I may kill someone".

I totally agree with what this person said. Even Dunn said that it was a good thing the body came off. NHRA admitted their fault (amazing) and said it wouldnt happen again...move on. I remember Safety Safari for all the great things they do, not the few mistakes here and there! I hate the way NHRA runs things and if things would change I truly believe the sport would have much more to give, but I love drag racing and I love watching all the competitors involved in the NHRA circuit, so NHRA can do whatever they want, I may be mad about it, I may not agree with it, but Im sure not going to stop watching it so all of you that say NHRA made you embarassed, frustrated, whatever the case may be and you stopped watching/following...well shame on you for abandoning the sport but we'll continue on with or without you.

Since I dont have cable, I was watching the video highlights on NHRA.com and it was upsetting to see those cones on the track ripping off the body of TP's car. After reading here I learn the gate is open also. I was surfing around today and I guess the gate opening is more common than I knew (cones no). Maybe the cones draw the attention of the unlucky by some respects, driver who may be heading that way, but the wall opening has to happen in some cases it seems.
Look at this set of images of Randy Walls fireball on James Drews website (photos by Jim Sorenson) and you will see Im guessing a safety crewman opening up the gate, knowing they have to get to this car ASAP. Its a very scary sequence, god only knows how many frames a second this camera was shooting. Randy Walls fire ball Series by Jim Sorenson album | James | Fotki.com I guess the safety crew knows how long it takes to open the gate jump in the truck and roll, but here its showing Randys car turn towards the open gate for a moment, I dont think the outcome would of been the same if Randy slammed into the opening straight on, he straightens it out though. 105 very intense photos. Im just trying to remember how far it is from the turn out at Famoso to the next available place to get an emergency vehicle on the track, had Randys car stopped and blocked the gate has it not been opened. I guess each track has its own set up and response time due to the locations of thier turnouts. It all happens so fast, this photo sequence makes it seem like minutes of happenings on track, when actually Id guess it was 3 seconds.

Since I dont have cable, I was watching the video highlights on NHRA.com and it was upsetting to see those cones on the track ripping off the body of TP's car. After reading here I learn the gate is open also.
The cones marked where the opening in the wall we're talking about is located.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back